Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2017, 8:15 pm

what is the safe limit for staples ? / how much you guys have bought max per month ?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:27 pm

Did staples block FB being used as CC online? I'm getting a message asking to verify the card number, expiration date & cvv. My orders go through fine if I use a FB as prepaid and my Ink as CC but not if using a 2nd FB for CC as well.

Edit: Figured it out, browser wasn't loading the CVV input box for some reason on the CC section, worked in another browser.

Last edited by Spiral1; Apr 17, 2017 at 10:36 pm
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Spiral1
Did staples block FB being used as CC online? I'm getting a message asking to verify the card number, expiration date & cvv. My orders go through fine if I use a FB as prepaid and my Ink as CC but not if using a 2nd FB for CC as well.

Made a purchase at 12 pm est, with FB as CC. It went through
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:32 am

Is there a monthly limit like GCM or could you literally order 10k a day for the whole month?
I asked a few people and they have done up to 60k and no issues
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
I wish now there were separate threads, for those of us who just purchase when there's an in-store promo. Every day I see this thread freshened, I think "oooh".

Nope, disappointed again.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:05 am

Starting this Sunday, $20 SGC rebate off $300 MGC.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Flyby01
Starting this Sunday, $20 SGC rebate off $300 MGC.
SGC = store gift card?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Mancolt
SGC = store gift card?
Staples GC
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by randomdude
Staples GC
Wow, that makes much more sense.

Can the SGC be used on VGC purchases? Or does that vary by store? Do you know if it will be instant, or mail in?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Mancolt
Can the SGC be used on VGC purchases? Or does that vary by store? Do you know if it will be instant, or mail in?
The SGC will arrive (slowly) via Staples Easy Rebates. And no, you can't buy a Visa card with it.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
The SGC will arrive (slowly) via Staples Easy Rebates. And no, you can't buy a Visa card with it.
YMMV. But my experience is different from that general statement.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:03 pm

Had some $300 VGC's arrive today and noticed the activation sticker now has a website (https://www.giftcardkey.com/) that lets you activate the cards instead of just a phone number. Pretty nice since it is much faster to do it this way than using that annoying automated phone system. I'm not sure how new this actually is as it has been a few weeks since my last order but I haven't seen it mentioned yet lol.

There is also a new number in the top right of the GC letter "Staples CS:" which I was hoping would make it possible to track which order was which when you make multiple orders that arrive on the same day but alas I don't see that number listed on the staples website orders anywhere so it still seems impossible to determine which order is which.

Last edited by Spiral1; Apr 22, 2017 at 12:08 pm
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Pretty nice since it is much faster to do it this way than using that annoying automated phone system.

... it still seems impossible to determine which order is which.
Glad to see there's a faster way to activate.

As for multiple purchases on the same day, just go by the order number to determine the sequence.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
I was actually able to use a FB card to buy a $200 VGC at Staples (sort of surprised).
There was no sleight of hand either. The cashier asked me to look at the card which I handed to him, and he just said to go ahead and swipe.

Now I have been looking through the FB thread and this thread to see if I could use more than one FB card, each carrying a residual balance to help pay for the VGC.
(For example, 2 $110 FB cards to pay for a $200 VGC.)

I suspect that I had an anomaly at that specific Staples about using a FB card for the above purpose. So, my feeling is the answer is no, but I found nothing. Can anyone help with yea or nay?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
Uhhh....... definite yea

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.