Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2017, 5:55 pm

I think there is a sync issues between stpales.com and gcm, the preauthorization hold from staples.com on my five back vgc dropped and balance reverted to initial, also I already received my $300 vgc mailer. what if I used up balance at this time? will staples file a collection on me when it failed to charged my fb later?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: All the programs!
As you've noticed sometimes there is a delay but you will be charged.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by st0ne
I think there is a sync issues between stpales.com and gcm, the preauthorization hold from staples.com on my five back vgc dropped and balance reverted to initial, also I already received my $300 vgc mailer. what if I used up balance at this time? will staples file a collection on me when it failed to charged my fb later?
Since you have such thought, why not try it out and let us know?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by oopl
As you've noticed sometimes there is a delay but you will be charged.
so what if I empty the vgc in this gap? as I already received my VGCs and don't think they can take it back.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Since you have such thought, why not try it out and let us know?
sounds a little bit of dangerous, lol
Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if so, why you are so eager wanting to know what might happen, if you would not try it out?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:14 pm

so what if I empty the vgc in this gap? as I already received my VGCs and don't think they can take it back.
You're not the only one in this situation, and its not the first time its happened. Is it really a road you want to go down....
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by Mamibear
if you were buying MO, IME this morning it remains at 4 swipes of gebit plus cash for the fee. Since there's two of you who reported this, there is a possibility it's a new policy implemented in certain regions for now. It might help if you post your city/state this is happening.

if you're talking about loading of ANY prepaid, swiping the card to be loaded is counted as one swipe so you're left with just three swipes max.
The store I frequent that has a 3 swipe max is in a Columbus, OH suburb.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
I also have staples VGC and the five-back cards used to buy them have not been charged. Nothing would stop me from draining them all buying MO tonight. I'm not going to do that, but I am a bit curious about what would happen.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA Plat (2MM), BA, UA/CO
Has anyone been able to buy $300 cards in the last two weeks?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by xlax
Has anyone been able to buy $300 cards in the last two weeks?
Yes I have. Every few days I see them in stock and I've bought some. They seem to go out of stock again within a few hours.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
Yes I have. Every few days I see them in stock and I've bought some. They seem to go out of stock again within a few hours.
the window seems to be shorter and shorter each time.....almost seems like some automation is occuring
Old Mar 25, 2017, 6:59 pm

daily limit?

I see a note on staples website saying you cannot buy more than $2000 of gift cards in one order. But do they let you place multiple orders in one day that total more than $2000?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 9:18 pm

I ordered 6x$300 last night. First time ordering anything from Staples. Sometime in the middle of the night, they actually tried to authorize my Chase Ink card, and Chase fraud prevention kicked in. I woke up to the fraud alert text, replied that I made the purchase, and called Staples so they could reprocess the payment. Everything was good.

I just checked the order status tonight, and it says Canceled, and I haven't received any sort of communicaton from Staples indicating why. I figure I'll call tomorrow, but would anyone have any insight into this? Is this a common issue? Thanks!
Old Mar 25, 2017, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
I see a note on staples website saying you cannot buy more than $2000 of gift cards in one order. But do they let you place multiple orders in one day that total more than $2000?
yes. although they may call you to verify

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.