Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
I don't mess with MGC. Too much trouble
Old Mar 17, 2017, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by beachmiles
I don't mess with MGC. Too much trouble
no issues for me at WM or grocery
Old Mar 18, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
VGC at WM

I didn't see this posted so please note that WM Money Center only allows 3 swipes per customer per day. Not sure if this is store or co. policy.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by rxgeek
I didn't see this posted so please note that WM Money Center only allows 3 swipes per customer per day. Not sure if this is store or co. policy.
it may be just YOUR WM's store policy. as of this morning, it remained 4 swipes of gebits at MY WM.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
it may be just YOUR WM's store policy. as of this morning, it remained 4 swipes of gebits at MY WM.
Sorry if this is the wrong forum. The other day I tried twice to do $200 x 4 and it was working until the last swipe when it cancelled the transaction and the journal printed "error debit not available, 4 swipes max". The last swipe covered the whole amount. I tried it at a different Walmart the next day and samething. Then tried 3 swipes and it worked.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Sandybestdog
Sorry if this is the wrong forum. The other day I tried twice to do $200 x 4 and it was working until the last swipe when it cancelled the transaction and the journal printed "error debit not available, 4 swipes max". The last swipe covered the whole amount. I tried it at a different Walmart the next day and samething. Then tried 3 swipes and it worked.
Did you purchase a MO or load a prepaid?
Old Mar 18, 2017, 3:52 pm

if you were buying MO, IME this morning it remains at 4 swipes of gebit plus cash for the fee. Since there's two of you who reported this, there is a possibility it's a new policy implemented in certain regions for now. It might help if you post your city/state this is happening.

if you're talking about loading of ANY prepaid, swiping the card to be loaded is counted as one swipe so you're left with just three swipes max.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 2:23 pm

It happened to me twice several months ago (while loading prepaid card) but on the second attempt load was successful on both occasions.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:40 am

It seems like Staples online has been out of the $300 VGCs for at least a week (or at least every time I have periodically checked over the last week). Do you think this is a temporary supply issue with GCM or do you think that Staples is going to phase out the $300 VGCs and just go with the $200 and below like their physical stores?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
if you were buying MO, IME this morning it remains at 4 swipes of gebit plus cash for the fee. Since there's two of you who reported this, there is a possibility it's a new policy implemented in certain regions for now. It might help if you post your city/state this is happening.

if you're talking about loading of ANY prepaid, swiping the card to be loaded is counted as one swipe so you're left with just three swipes max.
Thanks so much, this makes sense. It was a Walmart money card. The card swipe counts towards the 4. I know I have done 4 swipes on a money order fine. I normally limit myself to 2, depending on the cashier.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by kciflyer
It seems like Staples online has been out of the $300 VGCs for at least a week (or at least every time I have periodically checked over the last week). Do you think this is a temporary supply issue with GCM or do you think that Staples is going to phase out the $300 VGCs and just go with the $200 and below like their physical stores?
This is due to the Simon Mall 5B CB card deal...
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:32 pm

My Staples took away all the MCGC and all of a sudden, the VGCs were in stock!

I know they took it away because I was about to buy some, but I had to take a call and went to parking lotm Rack was full of MCGCs. After 10 minutes, I went in, the VGCs appeared and there were only a handful of MCGCs

I'm glad I hid some too, haha
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
no issues for me at WM or grocery
at WM, does it still need to tap on chg pmnt or cancel button nowadays? haven't done MCGC for a while
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by danhouston
at WM, does it still need to tap on chg pmnt or cancel button nowadays? haven't done MCGC for a while
Yes
Old Mar 23, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by kciflyer
It seems like Staples online has been out of the $300 VGCs for at least a week
Still not seeing any in stock.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.