Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by sechs
And if he actually wants to get the two rebates, he's going to need different contact info for the two submissions....
Not just different addresses, also different names and phone numbers.
Old May 7, 2017, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by sechs
And if he actually wants to get the two rebates, he's going to need different contact info for the two submissions....
I usually get like 8-10 rebates from using friend & co-worker addresses.

Only use the trustworthy ones of course, haven't had any stolen yet. ^
Old May 8, 2017, 7:15 am

I had a situation where I bought two $200 VGC's and my rebate form printed normally. The CSR noticed that one of the cards didn't activate. The manager came over and refunded me back the one $200 VGC that didn't activate (so a line item for the $413.90 and one line item for the refund $206.95 will most likely show up on my statement).

My question is, will this void the rebate? I've already submitted it through the website and I guess I'll know for sure in 48 hours but wanted to see if anyone has had this experience. The manager seemed to think it was fine.
Old May 8, 2017, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
I had a situation where I bought two $200 VGC's and my rebate form printed normally. The CSR noticed that one of the cards didn't activate. The manager came over and refunded me back the one $200 VGC that didn't activate (so a line item for the $413.90 and one line item for the refund $206.95 will most likely show up on my statement).

My question is, will this void the rebate? I've already submitted it through the website and I guess I'll know for sure in 48 hours but wanted to see if anyone has had this experience. The manager seemed to think it was fine.
Had that happen to me and I mentioned it to the manager that I was doing it for the rebate, he just credited me the $20 rebate on the second card purchase.
Old May 8, 2017, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by gw14
Had that happen to me and I mentioned it to the manager that I was doing it for the rebate, he just credited me the $20 rebate on the second card purchase.
Did you subsequently fill out the rebate form anyway and try to double up?
Old May 8, 2017, 11:00 am

Nice little manager story to share:

I've always taken advantage of these rebate promos on vgc's at my local Staples (there is only one nearby) and it used to be simple. I'd grab some vgc off the shelf and checkout with the cashier. Then one day I went in and the cashier instead of totaling it and letting me check out called over the manager.

The manager asks me for my card & ID which I hand over since it's a common thing even though I've never been asked for it before at that store. She then starts ringing me up and says "we have to check these because of fraud issues" while moving her head up and staring at me. I felt she was insinuating I was a fraudster but alas she rung me up and I just went on my life.

Then a new promo comes around so I return to the store to buy vgc to take advantage of the new promo and she is there again. She asks for my card & ID which I hand over and this time she comments "Do you always drive on a temporary license?" to which I tell her I am not a permanent resident therefore my license always says temporary on it when I renew it. She rings me up and I leave.

Today I go in to take advantage of this weeks promo and she is there again. I hand her my card & ID once again and this time she says "You know it's illegal for you to still be driving on a temporary license right?". Unbelievable. My license is perfectly valid non-expired and she has the balls to say that. I tell her once again I am not a permanent resident and therefore my license is always "temporary" and that it's really none of her concern to which she rings me up and then tries to do small talk and tell me how to claim the rebate which I obviously already know how to do as I told her I buy these for the rebate back when she was insinuating I was a fraudster. I am a pretty calm person IRL and didn't call her out on that ........ but once I left the store it kinda kicked in how inappropriate the whole thing is so I called corporate and told them this entire experience. They said they would be contacting the District Manager and getting back to me so we'll see how that goes.

Really don't know what her problem is, I've always been polite.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Did you subsequently fill out the rebate form anyway and try to double up?
I did not.
Old May 8, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat Hilton Diamond Marriott Diamond Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Spiral1
Nice little manager story to share:

I've always taken advantage of these rebate promos on vgc's at my local Staples (there is only one nearby) and it used to be simple. I'd grab some vgc off the shelf and checkout with the cashier. Then one day I went in and the cashier instead of totaling it and letting me check out called over the manager.

The manager asks me for my card & ID which I hand over since it's a common thing even though I've never been asked for it before at that store. She then starts ringing me up and says "we have to check these because of fraud issues" while moving her head up and staring at me. I felt she was insinuating I was a fraudster but alas she rung me up and I just went on my life.

Then a new promo comes around so I return to the store to buy vgc to take advantage of the new promo and she is there again. She asks for my card & ID which I hand over and this time she comments "Do you always drive on a temporary license?" to which I tell her I am not a permanent resident therefore my license always says temporary on it when I renew it. She rings me up and I leave.

Today I go in to take advantage of this weeks promo and she is there again. I hand her my card & ID once again and this time she says "You know it's illegal for you to still be driving on a temporary license right?". Unbelievable. My license is perfectly valid non-expired and she has the balls to say that. I tell her once again I am not a permanent resident and therefore my license is always "temporary" and that it's really none of her concern to which she rings me up and then tries to do small talk and tell me how to claim the rebate which I obviously already know how to do as I told her I buy these for the rebate back when she was insinuating I was a fraudster. I am a pretty calm person IRL and didn't call her out on that ........ but once I left the store it kinda kicked in how inappropriate the whole thing is so I called corporate and told them this entire experience. They said they would be contacting the District Manager and getting back to me so we'll see how that goes.

Really don't know what her problem is, I've always been polite.
The Rules:

1. We don't talk about fight club.
2. Never never never never call.

She sold you the gift cards. Move on or go to a different store. You don't want eyeballs on the entire situation.
Old May 8, 2017, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by martig4
The Rules:

1. We don't talk about fight club.
2. Never never never never call.

She sold you the gift cards. Move on or go to a different store. You don't want eyeballs on the entire situation.
Normally I would agree but buying gift cards with credit card is perfectly normal and allowed at Staples so drawing eye balls does not matter.
Old May 8, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Flying Off The Shelf?

My local Staples had no Visa, MC or AMEX gift cards on display today. This was definitely an anomaly as I've never seen this before. I wouldn't have been surprised to see only the $200 VGCs gone, but all the cards? Two employees gave me the usual crap about some people committing fraud, etc., but had no other explanation. I will call them daily to see if the $200s get delivered before the end of the week.
Old May 8, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Normally I would agree but buying gift cards with credit card is perfectly normal and allowed at Staples so drawing eye balls does not matter.
sure... until staples goes cash only because it's too much of a hassle to accept cc's.
Old May 8, 2017, 1:06 pm

Quick question to those who maximize Staples deal:
I have a Chase INK card and is it better off buying 2 of $200 or 3 cards? I guess buying 3 cards will be more URs und $20 rebate almost covers VGC fees.
Also, I have recently changed the addresses. Will I be able to submit 2 rebates? I have auto mail forwarding setup.
Old May 8, 2017, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by skitch23
sure... until staples goes cash only because it's too much of a hassle to accept cc's.
I think you are missing the point. Buying GC's isn't the problem, it's the manager calling me a fraudster and saying my perfectly valid driver license is illegal because it has the word temporary on it lol.

Originally Posted by trueblue84
Quick question to those who maximize Staples deal:
I have a Chase INK card and is it better off buying 2 of $200 or 3 cards? I guess buying 3 cards will be more URs und $20 rebate almost covers VGC fees.
Also, I have recently changed the addresses. Will I be able to submit 2 rebates? I have auto mail forwarding setup.
You want to buy two $200 cards for max UR and minimal fees. Yes you can submit two rebates if you have two addresses although I believe you need to submit a unique phone number & name as well.
Old May 8, 2017, 1:22 pm

I think you are missing the point. Buying GC's isn't the problem, it's the manager calling me a fraudster and saying my perfectly valid driver license is illegal because it has the word temporary on it lol.

You want to buy two $200 cards for max UR and minimal fees. Yes you can submit two rebates if you have two addresses although I believe you need to submit a unique phone number & name as well.
Thanks. I'm gonna try that route.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by _f1sh
MSing at staples is only really worth it IMO if you have a 5x card. There are lower fee methods elsewhere.

just doing it to help minimum spends, not for profit

I just did $300 on my SPG, I doubt that will catch any attention from Amex

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.