Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2022, 10:56 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by the188
Multiple swipes is money laundering? I assume that was a joke. If swipes were in any way, shape, or form related to potential for money laundering, any algorithm would point to large denominations rather then small ones as being the most likely to be fraudulent. The same reason no one checks $1 bills while $100 bills are scrutinized.
Yes, multiple swipes was a joke (check the emoji), but more importantly, as pointed out numerous times by craz , doing multiple swipes with debit cards gives the seller of MOs a huge tell that the person buying the MO is a MSer and not a legitimate MO purchaser.

The algorithm that is being used is human experience. The CS person knows that normal people who buy MOs either use cash frequently or a single debit card more rarely. When they ask to see the DC that a multi-swipe person is using, it almost always is a gift card.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
Yes, multiple swipes was a joke (check the emoji), but more importantly, as pointed out numerous times by craz , doing multiple swipes with debit cards gives the seller of MOs a huge tell that the person buying the MO is a MSer and not a legitimate MO purchaser.

The algorithm that is being used is human experience. The CS person knows that normal people who buy MOs either use cash frequently or a single debit card more rarely. When they ask to see the DC that a multi-swipe person is using, it almost always is a gift card.
There is no way you are fooling the CSR, the dead giveaway is the MO amount and frequency. They know exactly what you are doing, doing 1 swipe or 2 makes no difference. The location either allows you to pay via VGCs/MGCs or it does not.

If multiple swipes were an issue no one should be doing the Fee Free Staples deals either... they never offer anything above $200.
cruisr likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 9:32 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
MCs fee free for a week starting 4/24
Old Apr 22, 2022, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
MCs fee free for a week starting 4/24
I guess the $5 off fee VGC promo didn't work so well for Staples.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 8:00 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by gw14
I guess the $5 off fee VGC promo didn't work so well for Staples.
I doubt that they have had enough time to evaluate the sales of their VGCs with the $5 off sale.

However, MCGCs traditionally don't sell nearly as well as VGCs so I am not surprised that the fee free for these cards exists.

Let's wait and see what happens at the next VGC sale.
Old May 5, 2022, 3:19 pm

Here comes another $200 Visa promo, fees waived, limit 5, 5/08 to 5/14/2022.
philemer, Lou123 and littlewinglet like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 9:15 am

Programs: AA Platinum Jet Blue Mosaic
06/26 - 07/02 STAPLES fee waived on $200 MASTERCARD GC.

Limit 5 per day as usual
Old Jul 21, 2022, 11:18 pm

Jul. 17 - Jul. 23

No purchase fee for $200 MCGC. Limit 5 per customer per day. Issued by MetaBank
Old Aug 4, 2022, 7:25 pm
soy

Programs: various
Per DoC - fee free visa back on 8/7

Last edited by soy; Aug 5, 2022 at 7:35 am Reason: doh!
Old Aug 5, 2022, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by soy
Per DoC - 5x visa back on 8/7
5x what?

I think it's fee-free Visas.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 7:35 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by danpeake
5x what?

I think it's fee-free Visas.
yep - brain freeze when posting that
Old Aug 8, 2022, 1:26 pm

New Visa debit card design/pin default

Went to Staples to buy my usual Visa debit cards by Metabank. Rack now has Gold Visa cards and packaging is now sealed with hologram security on back. Does anyone know if default pin is still last 4 digits of card?
Old Aug 8, 2022, 2:14 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by kirkpd
Went to Staples to buy my usual Visa debit cards by Metabank. Rack now has Gold Visa cards and packaging is now sealed with hologram security on back. Does anyone know if default pin is still last 4 digits of card?
Yes.

I have a trick to expose the barcode of a VGC at checkout. I use the corner of my credit card to lift up the tab..Pops right up.
kirkpd likes this.

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 9, 2022 at 5:22 am
Old Aug 11, 2022, 11:14 am

I purchased a number of these new gold colored Visa cards with the hologram from Staples this week. When I tried to use them as a debit to buy a money order at my local supermarket it would not go through. I tried changing the PIN but then it got an error again. I was able to use a Vanilla Visa Gift Card I purchased at 7-11 and that still worked fine. Not sure if these new cards are somehow blocking the money order purchases?
Old Aug 11, 2022, 12:19 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by johnb102
I purchased a number of these new gold colored Visa cards with the hologram from Staples this week. When I tried to use them as a debit to buy a money order at my local supermarket it would not go through. I tried changing the PIN but then it got an error again. I was able to use a Vanilla Visa Gift Card I purchased at 7-11 and that still worked fine. Not sure if these new cards are somehow blocking the money order purchases?
No problem at my WM but the cashier must hit "debit" on the terminal. That's new.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.