Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2021, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by radonc1
You must have an old Ink card, since mine is limited to $15K for the 5x bonus.

I also have a substantial presence at Chase and have no wish to compromise my relationship with them, so my hanky panky is very low key.

But I can tell you that the fly-over Staples are full of cards. We have very few grocers that sell MOs and almost all are cash only around here. Given the WM, Go and BB issues as well, I am not surprised that Staples has cards.

I buy 3-5 cards total, and use them to load my BB cards (at a leisurely pace). I don't need many to do that. I really have no grocers where I can buy MOs on a routine basis.
Correct Old Ink Cards (more than 1)

I also have no unloading massive cards near me, so I drive over an hour out of State to where Im able to unload pretty much w/o problems except every so often, I get carded and walk out empty. The sole local source is good for 2 $499s a day but I have to go on different shifts otherwise its the same csr and day after day isnt cool. Also cant do spilt payments so its wasnt good for Staples.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Jet Blue Mosaic
$200 MASTERCARD GC are no fee this week at
Staples (12/5 -12/11)

limit 5 per day

Recommended for organic spending not MS
but with correct purchase card worth the trip
Old Dec 6, 2021, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
You must have an old Ink card, since mine is limited to $15K for the 5x bonus.

I also have a substantial presence at Chase and have no wish to compromise my relationship with them, so my hanky panky is very low key.

But I can tell you that the fly-over Staples are full of cards. We have very few grocers that sell MOs and almost all are cash only around here. Given the WM, Go and BB issues as well, I am not surprised that Staples has cards.

I buy 3-5 cards total, and use them to load my BB cards (at a leisurely pace). I don't need many to do that. I really have no grocers where I can buy MOs on a routine basis.
Are you referring to the Chase Ink Cash card which is $25K/year on 5x bonus and not $15K?
Old Dec 6, 2021, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by chipcollector
$200 MASTERCARD GC are no fee this week at
Staples (12/5 -12/11)

limit 5 per day

Recommended for organic spending not MS
but with correct purchase card worth the trip
Noob question but how is organic vs MS differentiated when purchasing a GC with my Ink Business Preferred card? Wouldn't it just show up as a Staples purchase on my Chase statement and whatever I buy with the GC, Chase wouldn't know?
Old Dec 7, 2021, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by baydude
;Noob question but how is organic vs MS differentiated when purchasing a GC with my Ink Business Preferred card? Wouldn't it just show up as a Staples purchase on my Chase statement and whatever I buy with the GC, Chase wouldn't know?
It is for organic spend on the gc itself since most usual avenues have dried up for converting the gc to cash.
MS is called as such only if it completes the full cycle. Like you said, from chase standpoint, it will not matter. From your perspective, it isnt MS.

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; Dec 7, 2021 at 10:35 pm Reason: fix formatting
Old Dec 7, 2021, 10:38 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Noob question but how is organic vs MS differentiated when purchasing a GC with my Ink Business Preferred card? Wouldn't it just show up as a Staples purchase on my Chase statement and whatever I buy with the GC, Chase wouldn't know?
Sometimes merchants do release specific information about what you are purchasing to the cc company. And they can also probably guess based on the frequency and amount of charges that are multiples of $200. That said, Chase does tolerate MS in moderation.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 8:41 pm

Noob question but how is organic vs MS differentiated when purchasing a GC with my Ink Business Preferred card?
To the extent that Chase cares about this, what you do with the gift card would mean nothing to Chase. MS* is using the gift card to pay/transfer to a "Cash Equivalent". Organic spend simply refers to the ability to buy gift cards earning 5X, then use the gift cards to pay for virtually ANYTHING that you wouldn't normally earn 5X on.

You mention using your Ink Preferred, (where you will NOT get 5X UR @ office supply). The people on this thread are probably mostly using Chase Ink+, or Ink Cash, or an AMEX paying 5X @ office Supply.

Are you trying to hit a required spend total for a new Ink Preferred card's SUB?
Old Dec 10, 2021, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Chris58
To the extent that Chase cares about this, what you do with the gift card would mean nothing to Chase. MS* is using the gift card to pay/transfer to a "Cash Equivalent". Organic spend simply refers to the ability to buy gift cards earning 5X, then use the gift cards to pay for virtually ANYTHING that you wouldn't normally earn 5X on.

You mention using your Ink Preferred, (where you will NOT get 5X UR @ office supply). The people on this thread are probably mostly using Chase Ink+, or Ink Cash, or an AMEX paying 5X @ office Supply.

Are you trying to hit a required spend total for a new Ink Preferred card's SUB?
Yes need to reach 15k spend and have about 9k more to spend in 1.5 months
Old Dec 10, 2021, 5:28 am

Yes need to reach 15k spend and have about 9k more to spend in 1.5 months
why dont just pay taxes using acipayments?. In 2 months , u will get back when filing tax returns. Less hassle and net fee of 1%. This depends if you are ok parking money for 2 months.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by NBG007
why dont just pay taxes using acipayments?. In 2 months , u will get back when filing tax returns. Less hassle and net fee of 1%. This depends if you are ok parking money for 2 months.

How does that work? I usually use TurboTax and just pay taxes via debit. Can I use TurboTax and then use acipayments to pay the tax?
Old Dec 11, 2021, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by baydude;[url=tel:33804346
33804346[/url]]How does that work? I usually use TurboTax and just pay taxes via debit. Can I use TurboTax and then use acipayments to pay the tax?
more details on doc site - https://www.doctorofcredit.com/a-com...a-credit-card/
baydude likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 9:05 am

Programs: AA Platinum Jet Blue Mosaic
Staples 12/12 - 12/18
$200 VI GC are no fee
Limit 5 per day
MERRY XMAS
Old Jan 10, 2022, 1:44 pm

What happened to the similar Office Depot thread ?
Old Jan 11, 2022, 6:29 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
What happened to the similar Office Depot thread ?
there are many pages in the forum, just click through till you find it, otherwise use the search function
Old Jan 11, 2022, 7:52 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by soy
there are many pages in the forum, just click through till you find it, otherwise use the search function
Please don't be like that. He has a point, there has been so much consolidating and thread changes in the last month, that many are now merged, gone, or just buried to where they are hard to find. Your answer provided no help, and today a much kinder world is needed. You can help with that, by posting the help a person needs or just ignore it. If everyone feels like it needs to be ignored, the post will die on the vine without any need for unhelpful or rude comments.
grayland and Steve in Olympia like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.