Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2022, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by johnb102
I purchased a number of these new gold colored Visa cards with the hologram from Staples this week. When I tried to use them as a debit to buy a money order at my local supermarket it would not go through. I tried changing the PIN but then it got an error again. I was able to use a Vanilla Visa Gift Card I purchased at 7-11 and that still worked fine. Not sure if these new cards are somehow blocking the money order purchases?
I guess I missed the news, I tried a Metabank $200 Visa at Albertson's and also at a Jewel, they did not work. Since when did Safeway family block the $200 GC?
Old Aug 16, 2022, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by rxgeek
No problem at my WM but the cashier must hit "debit" on the terminal. That's new.
So the old school 200 Meta VGC from Staples works at WM for MO?? I thought they had the 99/swipe limit....
Old Aug 16, 2022, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
I guess I missed the news, I tried a Metabank $200 Visa at Albertson's and also at a Jewel, they did not work. Since when did Safeway family block the $200 GC?
I got blocked ( "not authorized" ) on Meta $200's (from OD) at Harris Teeter and they have worked there for years.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 12:54 pm

The Meta VGC stopped working at Jewel in IL on 7/20 for me. They had worked at my stores up until then despite reports from other states much earlier.
MCGCs still work at Jewel (last week)! I wonder how much longer they will hold on?
GE VGCs still work (as of 8/30) if you are lucky enough to find them.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Albertsons owns Safeway/
ChrisFlyer66 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 7:36 am

9/4-10: Fee-free Visas at Staples
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/stapl...-11-6-limit-5/
Old Sep 4, 2022, 2:06 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by Burj
So the old school 200 Meta VGC from Staples works at WM for MO?? I thought they had the 99/swipe limit....
Tried the new ones at WM, they were declined with code 56 (debit not available), but they worked at Kroger.
Burj likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 3:45 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by yugi
Tried the new ones at WM, they were declined with code 56 (debit not available), but they worked at Kroger.
Can you try the old ones at WM again? I never could get any to work at Kroger. Never a problem at WM...so far.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 5:49 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Can you try the old ones at WM again? I never could get any to work at Kroger. Never a problem at WM...so far.
Yes, I had a problem Kroger with old ones, including ones from OD/OM. I can only try Visa Everywhere from OD/OM at Kroger, which I usually buy there, haven't tried recently, but they worked at WM for me, including today. I don't have old ones from Staples.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 8:22 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by yugi
Yes, I had a problem Kroger with old ones, including ones from OD/OM. I can only try Visa Everywhere from OD/OM at Kroger, which I usually buy there, haven't tried recently, but they worked at WM for me, including today. I don't have old ones from Staples.
The new ones worked at WM today for me.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 11:41 pm

The new ones worked at WM today for me.
The new Staples yellowish looking 200 vgc with the big holographic sticker on the back of the packaging worked at WM for the full amount (not just 99 a swipe)?
Old Sep 7, 2022, 7:21 am

The new Staples yellowish looking 200 vgc with the big holographic sticker on the back of the packaging worked at WM for the full amount (not just 99 a swipe)?
Did you have to switch tender?
Old Sep 7, 2022, 10:08 pm

Can firm they do NOT work at WM for MO. As a test I asked for a $199 money order...swiped one card and entered PIN when prompted and got an "unable to process" error. Used different card (non-Staples) and it worked fine.... Receipt showed "PAYMENT DECLINED - REASON 56"
cuthroat likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 7:35 am

I only tried $99.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 9:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by physics
The Meta VGC stopped working at Jewel in IL on 7/20 for me. They had worked at my stores up until then despite reports from other states much earlier.
MCGCs still work at Jewel (last week)! I wonder how much longer they will hold on?
GE VGCs still work (as of 8/30) if you are lucky enough to find them.
Just to clarify, are saying that you're able to use Meta-issued MCGCs from Staples for the full amount in a single swipe at Jewel? Also, what does GE stand for?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.