Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2021, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
did you talk to manager? managers usually know what to do.
3 managers - all teaming up to say no. I even told them that they need to call the GC tech support line and get this sorted out. They deny, They give this crap about Staples not making any money on GC sales and they are just middleman between blackhawk and Metabank. Atleast i found the CS willing to help out. They took the SN of the GC while they were talking to Blackhawk and told me that they will get back to me in 24-48 hrs.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 9:40 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by NBG007
3 managers - all teaming up to say no. I even told them that they need to call the GC tech support line and get this sorted out. They deny, They give this crap about Staples not making any money on GC sales and they are just middleman between blackhawk and Metabank. Atleast i found the CS willing to help out. They took the SN of the GC while they were talking to Blackhawk and told me that they will get back to me in 24-48 hrs.
Usually what happens is that the GC number is entered incorrectly into the computer at the store.

Examine your receipt closely and see if the GC number on the receipt matches the actual GC. I suspect that the answer will be no.

In my case, the CSR had scanned in the same gift card twice but run the unscanned card into system. So the number on the scanned card did not match the receipt.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
Usually what happens is that the GC number is entered incorrectly into the computer at the store.

Examine your receipt closely and see if the GC number on the receipt matches the actual GC. I suspect that the answer will be no.

In my case, the CSR had scanned in the same gift card twice but run the unscanned card into system. So the number on the scanned card did not match the receipt.
I have been thru that a few times. During those times, it will clearly stop printing the receipt with a message on their screen. If the override, it will print with the word not activated in the receipt. That is not the case here. I checked the SN to be double sure. They all match. In this case, the receipt printed a weird message saying- will be activated in 24 hours'. Searching this forum, i see it has happened a few times in the past for folks and usually recourse is to go back to store.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 11:02 pm

1 time i noted the same print out 'item will be activated within 24 hrs' at safeway; the store mgr insisted that the gc will work after a day or so, but not so. There was an issue with that gc & can't be activated; i had to have a safeway corp. CSR to contact / confirm with metabank
,who then called the store where I already paid for the bad gc to explain; then, i had to return to the store, where the mgr offered me a refund or xchg for another... pita!

yep, the store had the $; the mgr sbeen able to confirm with metabank that the gc was bad or can't get activated; then offered an xchg or refund

Last edited by danhouston; Mar 9, 2021 at 11:19 pm
Old Mar 10, 2021, 12:30 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

The mistake is rare, but possible.

GCs are scanned with scanner. Then the cards are activated at the back end. You should examine your receipt carefully.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
The mistake is rare, but possible.

GCs are scanned with scanner. Then the cards are activated at the back end. You should examine your receipt carefully.
in my case, the #s on the receipt matched those on the gc & showed 'approved'; all looked normal, but it wasn't activated; that's why it printed 'the item will be activated in 24 hrs'; when calling in for a dispute, metabank merely told me that the gc simply wasn't properly activated

Last edited by danhouston; Mar 12, 2021 at 1:24 pm
Old Mar 25, 2021, 8:11 am

Starting 3/28, no fees on MasterCard GC’s at Staples, limit 5. Go wild.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Perhaps you know the answer.
Do we have to do the change payment dance with MCGCs when loading a BB card (as we did when buying a MO)?
Old Mar 26, 2021, 2:47 pm

Perhaps you know the answer.
Do we have to do the change payment dance with MCGCs when loading a BB card (as we did when buying a MO)?
no
radonc1 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Was the situation fixed with the fraud going on with mcgc? Haven't heard of any in a while, but then haven't heard that is was resolved either
Old Mar 27, 2021, 7:38 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah
Was the situation fixed with the fraud going on with mcgc? Haven't heard of any in a while, but then haven't heard that is was resolved either
I think that was just one or two individual case(s). Apparently no lasting impact....
Old Mar 27, 2021, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah
I suspect that, between the WM fiasco with $99/swipe limits on MO purchases as well as the change payment dance, the fervor for buying Meta MCGCs has ebbed and few people have attempted to use these cards for those purposes.

The fact that no one else has commented on their inability to use these cards in their original organic manner leads me to believe that whatever the problem was, it has now resolved.,
Klemhuzzah likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 11:05 am

Sorry if this has been asked before, but since it is not in the wiki:

Does buying VGC/MCGC at Staples with an Amex SimplyCash qualify for the 5% bonus spend? Does it pose risk of financial review/shutdown?

Similarly, does buying third party GCs like Amazon qualify or pose any risk? I assume no for this one, as I have plenty of personal data points, but still wanted to ask.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 12:02 pm

damn, the new batch of mc with 6/29 expy can’t liquidate @ WM; system immediately rejected

Last edited by danhouston; Mar 28, 2021 at 12:30 pm
Old Mar 28, 2021, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000
Sorry if this has been asked before, but since it is not in the wiki:

Does buying VGC/MCGC at Staples with an Amex SimplyCash qualify for the 5% bonus spend? Does it pose risk of financial review/shutdown?

Similarly, does buying third party GCs like Amazon qualify or pose any risk? I assume no for this one, as I have plenty of personal data points, but still wanted to ask.
Staples and OM V/MC GC purchases have been dead for any Amex bonus or regular points for quite a while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.