Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2017, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by ST4LKER
OMG, you're sooo wrong, got shut down by Amex today, it was co-branded card without bonus involved, got some VGCs at grocery store for gas rewards and now waiting for the review...
Hate being DP, but it's a fact!
Which co-branded card???
Old Mar 6, 2017, 3:42 am

OMG, you're sooo wrong, got shut down by Amex today, it was co-branded card without bonus involved, got some VGCs at grocery store for gas rewards and now waiting for the review...
What was your volume?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 10:21 am

Without more info from your DP I will assume that you are under FR.

The post you quote refers more to the RAT and their (current) focus on stopping people abusing signup bonuses. It maybe possible that they have shifted to stopping MS in general, but I doubt there is any reason for them to stop it as they make money on it.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 10:43 am

Looks like Staples is out of their $300 VGCs again, last time they were out of stock for only a day.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by tontod
Looks like Staples is out of their $300 VGCs again, last time they were out of stock for only a day.
I was able to order 6 of them last night...hopefully they get processed without issue.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 11:01 am

My orders from 3/2 are still in processing.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You sound as if your account is under FR versus being shut down. They are 2 different things I case you could not disguinsh them.
AMEX may see a sudden change of your usage pattern, AND also worry about your ability to pay, hence initiates an FR.

FR does not always lead to shut down. If one can prove the ability to pay and one has not embellished the data at application, accounts restriction will be lifted once FR finishes.
The dedicated FR discussion in AMEX forum have enough stat points to show accounts are back in good standing after FRed, even though some suffered reduced CLs but the accounts survived.

So are your account being "shut down" i.e. Closed, or is frozen pending FR? Again these are 2 completely different things.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by markr33
Which co-branded card???
The only cobra dead card that earns at grocery store where OP said he tried to earn gas rewards, would be Hilton?

Originally Posted by gw14
What was your volume?
Must not be trivial in AMEX algorithm which takes into many other factors as we should have realized it (CL, Income, History, Charge Pattern, just to name a few obvious elements.)
Old Mar 9, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: AA Platinum Jet Blue Mosaic
Staples in-store 3/12 - 3/20

mail in rebate starts Sunday:

$20 VI GC W/$300 PURCHASE OF VISA GC
Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by chipcollector
mail in rebate starts Sunday:

$20 VI GC W/$300 PURCHASE OF VISA GC
I believe the stores wouldn't have 300 VGC, so this strictly would apply to staples.com purchase?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by Gitangali
I believe the stores wouldn't have 300 VGC, so this strictly would apply to staples.com purchase?
Read the thread!

this is the trick to get you to buy two $200's!
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:20 am

Nope. Try again.

Here's a hint:

$20 VI GC W/ > $300 PURCHASE OF VISA GC
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:53 am

Using the Chase Ink, the optimal strategy is to purchase 2 of the $200 cards which cost $206.95 each. Here is the math:

Cost: $413.90
Minus Rebate: $20
Final Cost: -$6.10
UR Points Earned: 2,070

Not sure if you can purchase one daily till the promotion runs or as many as stores would allow, the terms say one per household.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Using the Chase Ink, the optimal strategy is to purchase 2 of the $200 cards which cost $206.95 each. Here is the math:

Not sure if you can purchase one daily till the promotion runs or as many as stores would allow, the terms say one per household.
Have you bothered to read any of this thread? Seriously. Any of it?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:12 am

seems like you're confusing this with OD/OM deals, this is LIMIT of 1 per household the week of the promo, you get your $20VGC in the mail, it's not instant rebate like OD/OM.

although there are those who claim they got away with several submissions, this is taking a risk because Staples has declined a lot of duplicate submissions from the same HH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.