Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:49 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

You can keep going back to buy one card, again and again. They should be fine with it. Not breaking any rule.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:18 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by RedSun
You can keep going back to buy one card, again and again. They should be fine with it. Not breaking any rule.
Lol, one guy tried to be clever and just did separate transactions. They cracked down quick, saying it's one per day per preson. I'm not driving all the way back daily for just one card.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Lol, one guy tried to be clever and just did separate transactions. They cracked down quick, saying it's one per day per preson. I'm not driving all the way back daily for just one card.
They all come out fee free; I had a manager come to the front desk today and reverse 4 cards on my 5 card transaction before I could finish checking out. This store is being closed soon, so I won’t miss this manager.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 8:38 pm
Suspended

The cashier at our store won't care about this. But she can't sell more than 1 card in one transaction. Separate transactions are just fine.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
The cashier at our store won't care about this. But she can't sell more than 1 card in one transaction. Separate transactions are just fine.
shoot, wish I got the separate trxn offer... all 3 stores near mine enforced 1 per day; made another effort routing back to the store after 1 hr later after a stop at OD & WM, same cashier (store was slow...no other cashier was found) insisted that 1 per customer per day despite my begging, lol...
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:56 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by danhouston
shoot, wish I got the separate trxn offer... all 3 stores near mine enforced 1 per day; made another effort routing back to the store after 1 hr later after a stop at OD & WM, same cashier (store was slow...no other cashier was found) insisted that 1 per customer per day despite my begging, lol...
Ha, it wasn't an offer. He was trying to confuse the cashier and get around it. I used him as an excuse of "why not me?". We both got away with multiple cards but everyone after got the shaft so I'm done here for the week unless I happen to drive by the store anyway.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:05 am
Suspended

OP here, thx thats what I was hoping for, at least that way if the csr or mgr wont let it go thru they cant blame me nor those waiting in line. But today it was 1 csr and at least 1/2 dz folks lined up behind me so I didnt want to chance that its finally been hard coded and force everyone to wait even longer, especially after the csr said the fee will be charged.

this way at least I was willing to pay the fee so its not my fault if they wont allow it

its worth trying to get them at a couple of places I havent been to yet, but wont be counting my chickens till they hatch

Originally Posted by doggiefizzle

They all come out fee free; I had a manager come to the front desk today and reverse 4 cards on my 5 card transaction before I could finish checking out. This store is being closed soon, so I won’t miss this manager.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by craz
OP here, thx thats what I was hoping for, at least that way if the csr or mgr wont let it go thru they cant blame me nor those waiting in line. But today it was 1 csr and at least 1/2 dz folks lined up behind me so I didnt want to chance that its finally been hard coded and force everyone to wait even longer, especially after the csr said the fee will be charged.

this way at least I was willing to pay the fee so its not my fault if they wont allow it

its worth trying to get them at a couple of places I havent been to yet, but wont be counting my chickens till they hatch
Was able to successfully buy 5x $200 VGCs at my "go-to" Staples today on my lunch break. Good riddance to the store closer to my house - what was I thinking MSing on my day off anyways.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Stop by my local store. Different manager. The cashier asked about the limit. I said I want to buy $2k GCs. Manager said that is fine. I could have asked to buy more. But no point of doing it. I do not like those VGC. Prefer MCGCs.

Just yesterday, another manager was enforcing 1 card "corporate" limit.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:16 pm

no issues getting 3 at fave store, one transaction. Really don't need a bunch, still have a handful from last sale. only liquidating via Serve here, slow and steady.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by doggiefizzle

Stopped by a few places on my way to the airport, 1st place had nothing(I guess they didnt limit you to just 1), the others said 1 Only and when asked about more then 1 transaction was told its 1 per person per day at more then 1 place. Last place (was getting late and had to return the car yet, she rang up 10 then asked the MOD and said sorry I can only sell you 1 per day

Will try my reg local places if I get the 1 max not gonna chase them any more but will stop in if I happen to be passing by anyways, hey it was Great while it lasted
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:42 pm

I was able to buy two of the no-fee cards today.
They had none in the main GC display, so I asked the cashier if they were somewhere else. She had no clue so she called the manager to help. He asked how many I wanted and I said I’d like 5. He then said that he thought there was a limit, but he wasn’t sure if it was “just one or two, or if it was higher.” He said the register would tell him if/when I hit a limit.
Turns out there were none on any of the displays. After looking in the back and finding nothing, the manager found two that fell behind the display. He seemed disappointed that he didn’t find out how many the register would let him ring up in a single transaction.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:18 pm

hey, folks that have more than 1 dosh accts, def. want to buy / pay separately
Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
10 a day is our limit at the local store..
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by satman40
10 a day is our limit at the local store..
bought 5 today no issues; my CSR was actually thankful I only bought 5, and was complaining about the “jerkoff” that bought $10k worth of cards because they take so long to activate. Clearly I need to up my game.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.