Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2020, 6:17 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by danpeake
8/16-22: $5 off the purchase fee of $200 Visas
Seems like they are testing what we will pay
So $1.95 fee after discount. I will sit this round out. Would encourage others to do likewise
MaxVO and FrankMS like this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by soy
So $1.95 fee after discount. I will sit this round out. Would encourage others to do likewise
They are also likely out of stock at the stores that played by the weekly circular's rules from last week and the ones that don't honor it are useless anyway.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 7:48 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Yeah its not cool when you get caught trying to open the gift card rack in stores and I am not surprised the managers get mad. I am pretty sure Staples managers already know that people come in to buy a bunch of VGCs so you really shouldn't be afraid to ask a Staples associate to check if they have any VGCs in stock. I am cool with the Staples manager at my local Staples and have no issue asking them to check if they have any VGCs inside that gift card container if they are out.
The problem is that I asked 2 different times at 2 different stores and was told each time that "staff were not allowed inside the kiosk"

I didn't go any further.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by soy
Kind of a wash imo

I can get $500 VGCs at my grocery store for $5.95 so if you are paying $1.95 for a $200 VGC, works out just about the same in cost.

However, for monetizing, I'll take the $500 any day of the week.
sa_cheerio likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by danpeake
8/16-22: $5 off the purchase fee of $200 Visas

They just keep coming.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by soy
I too will sit this round out. I also maxed out the 12 month limit on my credit cards that offer office supply bonuses. If they were running no-fee cards, I would jump on it, but without the category bonus, until my clock resets in November, I'll leave the cards on the rack for others to benefit from.
Happy and FrankMS like this.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 10:27 am

Programs: AA Platinum Jet Blue Mosaic
Empty Rack First Hour of First Day (Sunday)

Store opened at 11 am. Walked in at 11:30
No $200 VGC
Manager pulled ‘em?
Old Aug 16, 2020, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by chipcollector
Store opened at 11 am. Walked in at 11:30
No $200 VGC
Manager pulled ‘em?
As mentioned, there are two types of stores, ones that play by the rules, and those that have vigilante store/regional managers. In either case, with a Visa rebate two weeks ago, the stores that play by the rules are likely out of stock, and it can easily take more than 7 days to restock, particularly during Covid. And for the stores with managers who refuse to play by the rules in the first place, they aren't going to sell them to you anyway unless you call the corporate number an complain. Either way, this week IMO would be scant. I wouldn't bother with the cost this week anyhow, sends a message to corporate that the small fee drives folks away as opposed to the no fee promo.
Happy and FrankMS like this.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
As mentioned, there are two types of stores, ones that play by the rules, and those that have vigilante store/regional managers. In either case, with a Visa rebate two weeks ago, the stores that play by the rules are likely out of stock, and it can easily take more than 7 days to restock, particularly during Covid. And for the stores with managers who refuse to play by the rules in the first place, they aren't going to sell them to you anyway unless you call the corporate number an complain. Either way, this week IMO would be scant. I wouldn't bother with the cost this week anyhow, sends a message to corporate that the small fee drives folks away as opposed to the no fee promo.
What I thought was amusing was in one store that ran out out $200 VGCs by Tuesday of the previous sale week, miraculously had them back in stock the Sunday after the sale was over.

I actually thought that maybe some MSers had stashed the cards away and then returned them after the sale.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 3:27 pm

I wouldn't bother with the cost this week anyhow, sends a message to corporate that the small fee drives folks away as opposed to the no fee promo.
This
deker0 and Travelz like this.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA Au Marriott Ti Hilton C

There’s a third type of store - one that pays no attention to what corporate says. Both the stores in my area fit into that category. The first won’t sell more than one GC at a time no matter what the fee or promo. They don’t even keep them stocked half the time. The second store will sell me $2K at a pop every time. This store looks to have little MS activity, as they’re always in stock. I‘m certainly not complaining, but I know they’re concerned about fraud. By now, I know the managers and they had a significant hit last year from people using stolen credit cards.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by 1120
There’s a third type of store - one that pays no attention to what corporate says. Both the stores in my area fit into that category. The first won’t sell more than one GC at a time no matter what the fee or promo. They don’t even keep them stocked half the time. The second store will sell me $2K at a pop every time. This store looks to have little MS activity, as they’re always in stock. I‘m certainly not complaining, but I know they’re concerned about fraud. By now, I know the managers and they had a significant hit last year from people using stolen credit cards.
What you described is the vigilante thing I mentioned. You should DM Staples on Twitter and let them know about the location that ignores the corporate circular. You will get a response quickly.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 7:51 am

Programs: AA Platinum Jet Blue Mosaic
Interesting side bonus YMMV @ local Staples

Visited a second Staples this AM. Fully stocked with
VGC. At the register they had a promo on copy paper.
Promo was .99 cents for a ream of copy paper
(with $75 purchase) limit 2 reams.

not sure if this is local or not
deker0 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by chipcollector
Visited a second Staples this AM. Fully stocked with
VGC. At the register they had a promo on copy paper.
Promo was .99 cents for a ream of copy paper
(with $75 purchase) limit 2 reams.

not sure if this is local or not
R.I.P. free after rebate paper. I still have a few years' worth though.
chipcollector likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 4:02 pm

08/30-09/05 Fee free VGCs limit 5 Link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.