Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.
The 2018 thread is here.

THIS IS A WIKI FOR AND OLD THREAD AND IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as debit.

-Visas issued by MetaBank work great. Pin is last 4 digits
-MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen and have them enter amount and then enter the pin. Pin in packaging.
-Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes > $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart.

The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you.

MO fee is usually 70 cents each. Subtract from your total or pay in cash.

Start slow and buy one MO to see how it works. Your store or cashier may work different and have rules that other store do not have.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:54 am

If banks don't accept MOs because they say "gift certificate", then there are about to be a lot of landlords in trouble.
MileageGoblin likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by in4tar
Have you tried depositing these "gift certificate" MOs in your bank/CU? No problem there?
Deposited at an ATM; no problem so far.

Honestly, the text wasn't very obvious as it printed over that red "security box," so it wasn't a blaring notice or anything. Still might find it odd if I was a bank teller, but not saying that will void it or anything.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 11:21 am

Business as usual at my local walmart, but they are now strictly enforcing the 1 MO transaction per day. Went in the morning, got my usual 2 x 999.30, then went back in the evening, and the cashier told me she was told I was there in the morning, and she cannot sell MOs again. Used to be that the evening shift had no idea what went on in the morning, but now they are clearly communicating. Asked her if any other changes were forthcoming, specifically with regards to the ability to purchase MOs with debit cards, she said no, but mentioned that WM had been losing a lot of money due to fraud, and that the 1 transaction / day was related to that.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: Alaska, Shell VC, Wyndham VC, Starwood, RCI, II--I bought it on eBay!
Our local Walmart has been negative on the money orders with multiple swipes for a while, so we started going to two Neighborhood Markets, and they are fine with it, and I don't know what the difference is. I hope they continue to be easy to deal with because I don't know what we will do, except we may just have to pay multiple .70 fees for smaller MO's.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:11 pm

Attempted to purchase a MO at one of my MS friendly WMs today and was immediately asked to see the card by one of the usual CSRs and was told they can no longer accept "debit gift cards" for MOs. I asked if I could use them to load a prepaid GoBank card and she said that was fine as far as she knew. Ended up loading $500 to both GoBank and BlueBird cards without problems. This is the second of five WMs in my area that have adopted the no gift card for MO policy.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Some time back, I made the choice to stick with single swipe purchases as to not draw undue attention to my buying habits. I know some of you have done multi swipes for years (up until recently at least) without the bat of an eye from WM. But maybe I am just over cautious in my dealings. Or maybe I was unlucky when I tried and got batted down a few times early on. Yeah, may take a few extra trip to WM but they are close to my home/work/commute and I would hate to be blacklisted.

Anyways, Hit up 3 of my regular stores today for single swipe purchases with $500 GC.com VGC:
#1 no issue
#2 no issue, requested 499.25 MO. Cashier made a quick remark: "You sure you dont want it for 499.30?" and smiled! I almost asked if she would be my new friend, but just brushed it off and stuck with the lower amount.
#3 no issue

So maybe some are clueless to it, some know about it and dont really care, or the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Another poster commented earlier that this could be some rabble rousing from corp and could all very well be back to normal in some months time. My Dec MS is up significantly to meet some year end spending requirements that suddenly apply to my life for next year. I plan to keep plugging away, albeit at a slower and more conservative rate in 2018 to see how this all plays out.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by jtav559
Some time back, I made the choice to stick with single swipe purchases as to not draw undue attention to my buying habits. I know some of you have done multi swipes for years (up until recently at least) without the bat of an eye from WM. But maybe I am just over cautious in my dealings.
I've followed the same practice for some time now, but I really think if there is a heavy hitter in an area it's just a matter of time until the store CSRs and managers get suspicious and policies change/get enforced.
jtav559 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:17 pm

I just went into my WM that has the new system. I bought one MO for $20 with my personal bank debit card. The process was exactly the same as when I bought 2 x $999.30 with four swipes - it still printed “gift certificate” on the MO and it still made me sign a receipt.

The cashiers were talking about the new system and I asked what’s different and they said “nothing” for customers. I asked if the policies were the same (this store has always allowed four debit gift cards per person per day) and they said “yes.”
mcRib likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by Prometheus77
Attempted to purchase a MO at one of my MS friendly WMs today and was immediately asked to see the card by one of the usual CSRs and was told they can no longer accept "debit gift cards" for MOs. I asked if I could use them to load a prepaid GoBank card and she said that was fine as far as she knew. Ended up loading $500 to both GoBank and BlueBird cards without problems. This is the second of five WMs in my area that have adopted the no gift card for MO policy.
This is the type of approach that frustrates me. Why alert someone to another avenue when they are actively thinking about closing down avenues? You don't think that will pop into their head at the next staff meeting if the topic comes up?
Old Dec 19, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by pharmawalk
This is the type of approach that frustrates me. Why alert someone to another avenue when they are actively thinking about closing down avenues? You don't think that will pop into their head at the next staff meeting if the topic comes up?
Do you think its a coincidence that every thread topic that lives in the top 5 on the front page here dies?
There are even bankers and CU employees offering to help readers on DOC open cards and checking accounts, where in the same thread post there are clear step by step how to game them.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Another DP here for Los Angeles Area: bought a $500 VGC "Kevlar" from my Vons today and immediately went to my local WMNM; encountered normal MO purchase process, no gift certificate text on the MO. I'm a single swipe minnow that doesn't hold a VGC for more than an hour (due to Ralph's USB VGC/MCGC fraud concern). I didn't ask the cashier about a "new system" as I figure as long as the going is good I'll be able to weather any sudden changes with minimal impact. The only bummer (and this is really not that big a deal), is unlike some other posters on FT, I've never been able to earn fuel points with any flavor of variable VGC from Von's.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:12 am

I think that gift certificate printed on MO is only to prevent cashing same MO at WM.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Still no sign of the new system starting here in the Middle of Nowhere Mid West. Got rid of my entire stack of Simon VGCs in the last couple of days and bought plenty of $1,000 MOs around the 3 Wallys I have in the area due to panic in this thread Still, CSRs could care less what type of Debit Card I was using on the split transaction, as they complained to me about not having enough help during Christmas season and just having to survive long lines of customers. So before the 24th, I think I might hit the Simon Mall hard to take advantage of the $2.95 per VGC of $500 USD
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by cashcyclone
I think that gift certificate printed on MO is only to prevent cashing same MO at WM.
You can cash MG MOs at WM, in fact you can cash only MG MOs for which they charge $3 so why would they try to stop it?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by cashcyclone
I think is the other way around, a couple of days (or weeks) when they implemented the new system they told me that now customers can cash out MO that were acquired only at WM. Probably that's the reason why they are inserting the "Gift Certificate" on it?. I have no clue, but I never cash out a MO before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.