Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.
The 2018 thread is here.

THIS IS A WIKI FOR AND OLD THREAD AND IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as debit.

-Visas issued by MetaBank work great. Pin is last 4 digits
-MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen and have them enter amount and then enter the pin. Pin in packaging.
-Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes > $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart.

The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you.

MO fee is usually 70 cents each. Subtract from your total or pay in cash.

Start slow and buy one MO to see how it works. Your store or cashier may work different and have rules that other store do not have.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:11 pm

Any one tried wearing Walmart vest off eBay and buy MO?
grayland likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by cashcyclone
You're joking, right?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:52 pm

Lol, just don't get a yellow one..unless you're "from the store across town"
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
I suggest calming down
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Please do, and be sure to report back

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adult-M-Pro...m/292357562467
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I vote this post for best laugh of the day.

FlyerTalkers are certainly creative.

Too bad that we're already past Halloween. I can imagine all the FTers in their WM YV costumes.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by veeRob
I've been a long time lurker in this thread, but I've been doing MO's @ WM for a year and just wanted to add my $0.02.

I have my local store which I've never had a problem at, but I've done a few road trips in the last few months and have hit a bunch of random WM's across many states. I've never had a problem getting a MO w/4 swipes at any location I hit. My technique is to be super nice to the agent when I walk up, asking how their day is and if other customers are treating them OK. I think this goes a long way. I've almost never had any questioning about my gift cards after that interaction. Only 1 time did the girl ask what card I was using when I said $200 on the first swipe, and I ignored her question and just repeated, "$200 on the first card, please" and she dropped the questioning.

This is a social game.
Very true. Small talks goes a long way, and dressing up nicer than Walmart average does too.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 4:08 pm
jk2

Yesterday, I had a strange thing when purchasing MOs. I got 2 MO, swiping 4x$465. When I swiped the last one, CSR went to pick up MOs, entered numbers and when it was a time to print a receipt, I saw (ans she saw) a message on the screen: "Change -$465" and drawer was opened. She was confused, I was confused - clearly I have MOs that match the amount I paid. Why the register told her to give me money? She called CSM, she couldn't figure it out (receipt didn't say anything that might look like a reason for refund), so she told CSR to close drawer and let me go.
What do you think happened? Am I in trouble?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:14 pm

Sounds like the money order machine went down.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:42 am
jk2

Originally Posted by briang191
Sounds like the money order machine went down.
How do you mean? She printed both MOs (you know how it works - one MO prints, she grabs it, entered some numbers, another MO prints, etc). I did check the balance on MOs - it says the MO in outstanding status, which means it has a full balance.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by jk2
How do you mean? She printed both MOs (you know how it works - one MO prints, she grabs it, entered some numbers, another MO prints, etc). I did check the balance on MOs - it says the MO in outstanding status, which means it has a full balance.
I was going to recommend you call in and see that it is a "valid" MO. Sounds like you're good to go. You got what you paid for, right?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by jk2
Yesterday, I had a strange thing when purchasing MOs. I got 2 MO, swiping 4x$465. When I swiped the last one, CSR went to pick up MOs, entered numbers and when it was a time to print a receipt, I saw (ans she saw) a message on the screen: "Change -$465" and drawer was opened. She was confused, I was confused - clearly I have MOs that match the amount I paid. Why the register told her to give me money? She called CSM, she couldn't figure it out (receipt didn't say anything that might look like a reason for refund), so she told CSR to close drawer and let me go.
What do you think happened? Am I in trouble?
what does your receipt say?

for as long as your receipt shows there are 4 DCs swiped, just hold on to it in case you have an issue with the bank. IME, drawers open when I pay the fee in cash but there's no message to give me change. I don't think you'll have a problem.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:45 am
jk2

Originally Posted by Mamibear
what does your receipt say?

for as long as your receipt shows there are 4 DCs swiped, just hold on to it in case you have an issue with the bank. IME, drawers open when I pay the fee in cash but there's no message to give me change. I don't think you'll have a problem.
yes, it shows 4 swipes. I didn't use cash either for the fees. I hope MOs are legit - they should be right, if automatic phone line says "in outstanding status". I guess, if amount was wrong, the status would be different.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:34 am

Reminds me of a prank that was done to Best Buy blue shirts and tan pants worn by many people...Didn't end too well. I believe it's on YouTube
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA EXP, AS MVP75K GOLD, HHonors Diamond, BW Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
A conversation with a couple of long-time WM Money Center employees have revealed that stores are being advised that prepaid gift cards are not to be accepted. Apparently, this was triggered recently (in my area) by a customer in possession of several $200 "Office Depot" VGC's a CSM was called as the cashier felt the transactions seemed 'suspicious.'

As a result, now any swipes more than one will require showing your card to the cashier, and perhaps valid ID also. If it is determined that a customer is using a prepaid gift card the transaction will be cancelled. I was told this is going to become WM company 'policy' and was told this will be the procedures until WM can figure out how to update its software to automatically deny prepaid gift cards.

Since then, I have been doing single $500 VGC -> MO's and I have witnessed several people being asked to show the card they are using.

I really think this works against WM in the long run; they sell their own VGC's and they profit off those and MO's.

It is those darn $200 office supply VGC's that tipped them off to suspicious activity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.