Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.
The 2018 thread is here.

THIS IS A WIKI FOR AND OLD THREAD AND IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as debit.

-Visas issued by MetaBank work great. Pin is last 4 digits
-MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen and have them enter amount and then enter the pin. Pin in packaging.
-Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes > $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart.

The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you.

MO fee is usually 70 cents each. Subtract from your total or pay in cash.

Start slow and buy one MO to see how it works. Your store or cashier may work different and have rules that other store do not have.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:08 am

When I see elderly person behind me in line I let her go first, when line behind me is long and only one cashier I make only 2 transactions and leave. It’s common sense.

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; Nov 30, 2017 at 12:01 pm Reason: masked profanity not allowed
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by cashcyclone
When I see elderly person behind me in line I let her go first, when line behind me is long and only one cashier I make only 2 transactions and leave. It’s common sense.
Common sense is surprisingly uncommon. I always go at times that I know are slow - if someone else is / are in line behind me I do a couple transactions, and let them go ahead while I fill out MOs and organize my stuff, then do a couple more. No need to be a bunghole, always be friendly and polite, I need the cashiers more than they need me ...
golfr likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
Says the guy who only probably cares about himself ...
That's solid logic: when someone won't look for scapegoats, he must be selfish. ^
Old Nov 30, 2017, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by wyogold
Common sense is surprisingly uncommon. I always go at times that I know are slow - if someone else is / are in line behind me I do a couple transactions, and let them go ahead while I fill out MOs and organize my stuff, then do a couple more. No need to be a bunghole, always be friendly and polite, I need the cashiers more than they need me ...
Although I agree that it's always good to be friendly w/ cashiers, it's management attention that you really have to be concerned about. They see a guy hanging around, getting in line multiple times, filling out MOs and "organizing his stuff" -- management's first instinct is going to shut down anything that looks remotely suspicious. There's no upside for them, only downside. So try & do better keeping it on the down low, or you will burn your location .. exactly what happened at probably the most MS-friendly WM in the country.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Here's a new one for me. I posted #1121 recently about VGC purchased at a Ralphs in Los Angeles that wouldn't read in the swipe at a few different WM, both had a balance of $500 each. I contacted Gift Card Services to ask for replacement cards, they were happy to do so. I also changed the PIN. The new cards arrived yesterday evening. I called to activate them and the automated services tells me that the current balance is .05 on a card that was purchased for $500. The other card had only $3.16. Fraud Report filed. Now I have to wait for a resolution. The packaging didn't look at all tampered with, these were the standard black version. I'm very impressed how hackers have managed to drain cards even after the PIN has been changed. Frustrating that I can't keep my stride.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cajunguy
Here's a new one for me. I posted #1121 recently about VGC purchased at a Ralphs in Los Angeles that wouldn't read in the swipe at a few different WM, both had a balance of $500 each. I contacted Gift Card Services to ask for replacement cards, they were happy to do so. I also changed the PIN. The new cards arrived yesterday evening. I called to activate them and the automated services tells me that the current balance is .05 on a card that was purchased for $500. The other card had only $3.16. Fraud Report filed. Now I have to wait for a resolution. The packaging didn't look at all tampered with, these were the standard black version. I'm very impressed how hackers have managed to drain cards even after the PIN has been changed. Frustrating that I can't keep my stride.
You don't need a PIN to run it as credit
Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:45 am

Does the glue in the package feels different? I had a similar experience. Package looks normal, but the glue is very strong. And u can not totally remove the glue from the card. The card can not swipe because thief already erased magnetic information. I feel thief is internal to the company because package itself has no damage.

Originally Posted by cajunguy
cajunguy likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 11:01 am

Hi, how are people doing 10k per trip? I saw a cashier with a yellow vest (supervisor) run 5 transaction of 2k for a guy today, back to back.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by fangtl
Hi, how are people doing 10k per trip? I saw a cashier with a yellow vest (supervisor) run 5 transaction of 2k for a guy today, back to back.
Being nice with the CRS's, let them know you, build a relationship, be honest, talk to them, asking how are they doing (they are human like us), etc, etc, etc..., if you do that and with time you will be able to do 10k per trip and more, in my case in a good day i can do 20K no problem of course counting that there is no others waiting for me.

I found this place, started working it out and now after 3 years doing the same thing every other week i have no problem at all, unless they shutdown the place for good i will end there, also very important in my case, most of these people smoke, drink coffee, have cold drinks so use your imagination.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by elegua
Being nice with the CRS's, let them know you, build a relationship, be honest, talk to them, asking how are they doing (they are human like us), etc, etc, etc..., if you do that and with time you will be able to do 10k per trip and more, in my case in a good day i can do 20K no problem of course counting that there is no others waiting for me.

I found this place, started working it out and now after 3 years doing the same thing every other week i have no problem at all, unless they shutdown the place for good i will end there, also very important in my case, most of these people smoke, drink coffee, have cold drinks so use your imagination.
It all sounds great IF you have the same CRS' long enough to build a relationship. Places near me unfortunately have a new person every month. I couldn't even think about doing 10K per trip, all I can think of with each new CRS is whether or not she knows how to do a split payment correctly.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by in4tar
It all sounds great IF you have the same CRS' long enough to build a relationship. Places near me unfortunately have a new person every month. I couldn't even think about doing 10K per trip, all I can think of with each new CRS is whether or not she knows how to do a split payment correctly.
some places allow for $10k but require a driver’s license and a social security card to do $3k+.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by in4tar
What is a CRS? CSR is customer service representative. Is that what you're thinking?
Old Dec 2, 2017, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Superorb
What is a CRS? CSR is customer service representative. Is that what you're thinking?
I meant "cashiers", or whatever you call people at WM money centers
Old Dec 2, 2017, 5:27 pm

Programs: FB Gold Privilege
Tysons Corner is dead. I recognize some of the people from the pic above argh. Every year I do my DL $50k there, today I loaded up on $10k GCs and it is dead. Anywhere I can burn the GCs? Fair Oaks dead and Fairfax is 1 swipe/order.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by fjord
Tysons Corner is dead. I recognize some of the people from the pic above argh. Every year I do my DL $50k there, today I loaded up on $10k GCs and it is dead. Anywhere I can burn the GCs? Fair Oaks dead and Fairfax is 1 swipe/order.
20 $499.30 MOs...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.