Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.
The 2018 thread is here.

THIS IS A WIKI FOR AND OLD THREAD AND IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as debit.

-Visas issued by MetaBank work great. Pin is last 4 digits
-MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen and have them enter amount and then enter the pin. Pin in packaging.
-Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes > $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart.

The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you.

MO fee is usually 70 cents each. Subtract from your total or pay in cash.

Start slow and buy one MO to see how it works. Your store or cashier may work different and have rules that other store do not have.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by laptoptravel
A conversation with a couple of long-time WM Money Center employees have revealed that stores are being advised that prepaid gift cards are not to be accepted.
I was told this is going to become WM company 'policy' and was told this will be the procedures until WM can figure out how to update its software to automatically deny prepaid gift cards.
Regionally or nationwide?

$200 vgcs are hardly a new thing ...
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: SPG preferred, AA, United
A conversation with a couple of long-time WM Money Center employees have revealed that stores are being advised that prepaid gift cards are not to be accepted. Apparently, this was triggered recently (in my area) by a customer in possession of several $200 "Office Depot" VGC's a CSM was called as the cashier felt the transactions seemed 'suspicious.'

As a result, now any swipes more than one will require showing your card to the cashier, and perhaps valid ID also. If it is determined that a customer is using a prepaid gift card the transaction will be cancelled. I was told this is going to become WM company 'policy' and was told this will be the procedures until WM can figure out how to update its software to automatically deny prepaid gift cards.

Since then, I have been doing single $500 VGC -> MO's and I have witnessed several people being asked to show the card they are using.

I really think this works against WM in the long run; they sell their own VGC's and they profit off those and MO's.

It is those darn $200 office supply VGC's that tipped them off to suspicious activity.
Have you tried any other WMs? Sounds like it is store specific. I have 3 by me and only 1 allows it. The 2 that don't said its a company wide policy not to accept so YMMV. Until they change the POS its always YMMV
laptoptravel likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA EXP, AS MVP75K GOLD, HHonors Diamond, BW Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I understand that $200 VGC's are not new, or $300 for that matter.

Currently, they are telling me it is a market-wide decision. Seattle, Eastern Washington and Tri-Cities, WA policy that is being communicated to/by manager to manager.

There are other reports across the country of similar policies...I think the fact that the cashier called a CSM and then an assistant manager got involved they did not want to deal with it.

I was told that prepaid gift cards are not valid to use...so there's that. All I can share is what they told me and my subsequent observations while waiting in line...
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:14 pm

Tried to buy a $499 money order with $500 gift card today. After swiping the card, terminal says "waiting for amount", while casher told me she's waiting for my swipe. Not sure what's the issue.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:20 pm

my subconscious tells me the end is near folks
Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:04 pm

My WM since yesterday has a new only 1 transaction per day policy (can still do 2 MOs @ 1 K each), which was claimed to be corporate policy that is now being enforced by a new asset protection manager. Sounds like the new guy wants to show who's the new sheriff in town. Doesn't really slow me down, will have to go twice a day now @ $2K to recycle instead of once a day. It used to be one money order purchase a time, then for a few months life was good, now again. The pendulum will probably swing back again in a few months.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:32 pm

The Maximum MO face value you can buy at WM is 1K. I believe WM allows maximum of 4 debit card payments. If you have to buy $4-5K MO and want to pay by 500 VGC, do you do multiple transactions? I want to know if there is a way to buy more than $2K in one transaction.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali
The Maximum MO face value you can buy at WM is 1K. I believe WM allows maximum of 4 debit card payments. If you have to buy $4-5K MO and want to pay by 500 VGC, do you do multiple transactions? I want to know if there is a way to buy more than $2K in one transaction.
2k is the max per transaction.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott LT Titanium
Giftcards use @wally

I did some transactions at my regular walmarts (Midwest) last week and at one of them the (new) cashier got suspicious when I asked for two 1K MO split on 4 cards; she told me that she will need to see the cards, I told her that it was fine with it and I proceeded to handed over the 4 cards (with my name and signature) and my driver's license; she then got a hold of the yellow vest CSM and they moved to the back of the customer service area to inspect the cards and my drivers license; they spend probably 4 minutes checking the cards, that felt more like 20 min but after they completed their investigation the cashier handed over the cards and the DL and told me to proceed with the transaction without any comments or warnings.
Yesterday I went back to the same walmart, this time a cashier that I've seen before did the 4 card split without looking at the cards or asking any questions; I was relief as I ran out of the GCM personalized cards and I only had with me SMVGC.
The walmarts on my area are manufacturing friendly but I always make sure to carry at least 4 personalize cards in case I run into an overzealous walmart employee. BTW I have reported in the past that this is not the first time
that I get asked to show my cards and every time I have been able to get the MOs using the personalize cards, but this game is definitely YMMV and you have to work on having a backup plan in case we get wally mad at us.

Good Luck

A conversation with a couple of long-time WM Money Center employees have revealed that stores are being advised that prepaid gift cards are not to be accepted. Apparently, this was triggered recently (in my area) by a customer in possession of several $200 "Office Depot" VGC's a CSM was called as the cashier felt the transactions seemed 'suspicious.'

I really think this works against WM in the long run; they sell their own VGC's and they profit off those and MO's.

It is those darn $200 office supply VGC's that tipped them off to suspicious activity.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by josh1573
I did some transactions at my regular walmarts (Midwest) last week and at one of them the (new) cashier got suspicious when I asked for two 1K MO split on 4 cards; she told me that she will need to see the cards, I told her that it was fine with it and I proceeded to handed over the 4 cards (with my name and signature) and my driver's license; she then got a hold of the yellow vest CSM and they moved to the back of the customer service area to inspect the cards and my drivers license; they spend probably 4 minutes checking the cards, that felt more like 20 min but after they completed their investigation the cashier handed over the cards and the DL and told me to proceed with the transaction without any comments or warnings.
Yesterday I went back to the same walmart, this time a cashier that I've seen before did the 4 card split without looking at the cards or asking any questions; I was relief as I ran out of the GCM personalized cards and I only had with me SMVGC.
The walmarts on my area are manufacturing friendly but I always make sure to carry at least 4 personalize cards in case I run into an overzealous walmart employee. BTW I have reported in the past that this is not the first time
that I get asked to show my cards and every time I have been able to get the MOs using the personalize cards, but this game is definitely YMMV and you have to work on having a backup plan in case we get wally mad at us.

Good Luck
Moral of the story: quit buying staples cards and get with the program of personalized cards..lest ye burn out every avenue.
Prometheus77 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by pharmawalk
Moral of the story: quit buying staples cards and get with the program of personalized cards..lest ye burn out every avenue.
This. OD/OM killed a perfectly good WM by me.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 5:55 am

I'm curious how WM gets charged for multiple swipes per transaction as this could cause them to take a loss on a $.70 MO sale if the processing company is charging them per swipe. IMO, the multiple swipes looks shady AF and I can see why so many people are getting shut down these days, but if they are in fact getting charged per swipe then I can see this being a big concern for any store selling MOs.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by pharmawalk
Personalized cards are nice but not a cure-all. Some WMs and other MO sellers want a "bank issued card." I have argued til I'm blue in the face that PIN-enabled GCs are issued by banks, but to no avail, they want to see a recognizable logo on the card.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Prometheus77
I'm curious how WM gets charged for multiple swipes per transaction as this could cause them to take a loss on a $.70 MO sale if the processing company is charging them per swipe. IMO, the multiple swipes looks shady AF and I can see why so many people are getting shut down these days, but if they are in fact getting charged per swipe then I can see this being a big concern for any store selling MOs.
21 cents per debit swipe, so they're not losing money.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by wyogold
21 cents per debit swipe, so they're not losing money.
4 x $.21 = $.84

How are they not losing money on a 4 swipe MO that they sell for $.70?

Edited:

It seems the Federal Reserve System actually limits the debit card interchange fee to "21 cents plus 0.05 percent multiplied by the value of the transaction, plus a 1-cent fraud-prevention adjustment, if eligible".
If my math is right, that means a $500 debit card swipe likely costs WM $.46

4 x $.46 = $1.84

Not that the loss of $1.14 per MO is going to put them under, but I doubt it is a practice they want to continue.

Last edited by Prometheus77; Dec 16, 2017 at 1:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.