Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2017 onward. The previous discussion can be found here.

UPDATED Oct-2018: A lot of CVS store take CCs for GC purchases. Some stores check CCs and scan driver's license (with hand scanner). The best GCs are OVVGC and VVGC. The only differences are card designs. The current fee is $5.95 for $25 - $500 variable loading. If prompted for PIN, enter the last 4 digits.

Look for mobile shipping portal with CVS bonus. Certain CCs have category bonus.

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads.
See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

Transaction limits since October 20, 2014:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $ 2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period. (Some are reporting limit of $1000 per 24 hrs as of 2/2018)?
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.

System error after giving them license If you keep getting this error, there could be a problem with the magnetic strip on your license. Have them use the wand to scan it instead.
Print Wikipost

CVS Master Thread(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:45 am

Updated wiki also
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:01 pm

I'd like to see some more data points to confirm that this wasn't a temporary problem. I was just finishing up a WF quota, and I do most of my OBC at grocery. I will attempt to purchase 2K next time there is a good opportunity to see.

My refund did go through.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 12:28 pm
jk2

So, is it safe to assume that daily limit now is $1K? I don't want to run in trouble with refunds, etc.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:47 pm

Just did $1500 yesterday. Three different branches along a strip, $500 each. AFAIK, it's still $2000/24hrs.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by jk2
So, is it safe to assume that daily limit now is $1K? I don't want to run in trouble with refunds, etc.
$2k 2 days ago

Last edited by randomdude; Mar 2, 2018 at 7:44 pm Reason: quote added
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by ramonortiz55
-Visas issued by MetaBank work great. Pin is last 4 digits
-MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen and have them enter amount and then enter the pin. Pin in packaging.
-Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes > $49.99.
For the life of me, I can't find any Metas at my local CVS, all OVs. Does CVS carry any meta at all? Thanks!
Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by BenCali
Does CVS carry any meta at all? Thanks!
No. The three big drug store chains carry various versions of "Vanillas". (It's just a marketing term, not a company.) They are issued by Bancorp Bank and distributed and serviced by InComm Financial Services. The other big distributor is Blackhawk Network who handles most of the Metabank-issued cards you see in grocery stores, etc. I've never seen a store sell cards from both distributors so they probably have exclusivity language in their contracts..
Old Mar 4, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: Southwest, SPG, Marriott, UR & Amex
Originally Posted by BenCali
For the life of me, I can't find any Metas at my local CVS, all OVs. Does CVS carry any meta at all? Thanks!
Visa from US Bank work well without having to hit debit, unlike US Bank MC.

WIKI fails to mention this

Last edited by ramonortiz55; Mar 8, 2018 at 12:21 pm
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:21 pm

I did 2K in Missouri yesterday.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:26 pm

[QUOTE=ramonortiz55;29484720]Visa from US Bank work well without having to hit debit lik, unlike US Bank MC.

WIKI fails to mention this[/QUOTE

Great insight. I’m getting the hang of it now.

Last edited by BenCali; Mar 7, 2018 at 6:11 pm
Old Mar 10, 2018, 1:33 pm

I started to notice that activation of these vanillas (OVs and regular vanillas) are now delayed by an hour (in my case). In the past, after buying them from WAG and/or CVS, I go to the grocery store to drain them but not anymore. I've tried twice where it failed even when I've called first to check balance and when I called Incomm, was told to wait an hour. When I checked online, I noticed the time of activation is one hour after the time on my receipt(s). Maybe it's just me but from now on, I'll buy them ahead of time, go do some shopping and drain them when an hour has passed to avoid failure at the store registers.

So for those who may fail to drain their vanillas soon after buying, try again after an hour before you panic. More likely, it'll go through as long as balance is there and time of activation online has passed.
Old May 20, 2018, 3:03 pm
CDO
Suspended

Does anyone know if there is a hard coded limit on purchases at stores in socal?
Old May 21, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CDO
Does anyone know if there is a hard coded limit on purchases at stores in socal?
Have you read the Wiki?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:54 am
CDO
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Have you read the Wiki?
Yes but it doesnt appear all stores have them in place
Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by CDO
Yes but it doesnt appear all stores have them in place
then you have found a unicorn!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.