Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2017 onward. The previous discussion can be found here.

UPDATED Oct-2018: A lot of CVS store take CCs for GC purchases. Some stores check CCs and scan driver's license (with hand scanner). The best GCs are OVVGC and VVGC. The only differences are card designs. The current fee is $5.95 for $25 - $500 variable loading. If prompted for PIN, enter the last 4 digits.

Look for mobile shipping portal with CVS bonus. Certain CCs have category bonus.

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads.
See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

Transaction limits since October 20, 2014:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $ 2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period. (Some are reporting limit of $1000 per 24 hrs as of 2/2018)?
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.

System error after giving them license If you keep getting this error, there could be a problem with the magnetic strip on your license. Have them use the wand to scan it instead.
Print Wikipost

CVS Master Thread(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2017, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by jk2
I have a problem. It seems the cashier gave me an empty visa card (she couldn't ring the card, so she took a new one and threw the old one into a trash. Now, I guess the "card in the trash" has $500, and the card I have - $0.00).

Is there a solution to this problem? Should I go to the store and talk to them?
Hopefully, you called the store soon as you found out so they can check the trash and retrieve your card so you can pick it up anytime. Since vanilla cards they sell are scanned and the last 4 of the package shows on the receipt with the word ACTIVATED, I'm not sure how Incomm will deal with your case if they see your package and the last 4 on your receipt don't match.

You may have to deal with the cashier who checked you out and hopefully, the manager will be able to fix it for you if Incomm refuses to activate your card with the discrepancy. If all else fail, you may have to dispute with your CC although you know there's adverse consequences for doing so.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by jk2
I have a problem. It seems the cashier gave me an empty visa card (she couldn't ring the card, so she took a new one and threw the old one into a trash. Now, I guess the "card in the trash" has $500, and the card I have - $0.00).

Is there a solution to this problem? Should I go to the store and talk to them?
This incident sounds very familiar. This happened to me 2 years ago when I bought 2 GCs at CVS. I called InCom and they were able to issue me 2 new cards with my name on them. You will need to take pictures of your receipt and your ID, and InCom will issue you a case number. Since you don't have the info from the package, InCom will still be able to search its database when you've purchased your card. It might take a week to resolve. Do it immediately.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:59 am
jk2

Originally Posted by lancaster
This incident sounds very familiar. This happened to me 2 years ago when I bought 2 GCs at CVS. I called InCom and they were able to issue me 2 new cards with my name on them. You will need to take pictures of your receipt and your ID, and InCom will issue you a case number. Since you don't have the info from the package, InCom will still be able to search its database when you've purchased your card. It might take a week to resolve. Do it immediately.
Unfortunately, I found out about it three days after I purchased the cards. When I was driving to the CVS, I called Incomm and they created a ticket. I had to send them copies of my id, the card, package and receipt. They told me not contact the store yet. I hope they would be able to solve this problem.

When I was in the CVS later, I saw that cashier and told her about what she did. She just said "sorry" and offered nothing. I hope I don't need to come back to store and deal with them.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:04 am

Is there any new restriction on purchasing # of cards, or the amount ? i was trying to purchase 1500 ( 3 ov) , 3rd card didnt get activated after the payment , it error-ed before printing the bill , and automatically issued a refund for the failed card ( 506).

This has happened 2 consecutive times.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu
Is there any new restriction on purchasing # of cards, or the amount ? i was trying to purchase 1500 ( 3 ov) , 3rd card didnt get activated after the payment , it error-ed before printing the bill , and automatically issued a refund for the failed card ( 506).

I had no problems this week buying 4 OVs on 2 different occasions. Maybe it's the store?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by brc01
I had no problems this week buying 4 OVs on 2 different occasions. Maybe it's the store?
4 OV on single transaction ? i have tried in 2 different stores.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:49 pm

Earlier this week I tried purchasing two $500 cards and when they scanned my license the manger said "That puts you at your daily $1000 limit." Of course I then got shut down because I tried to use rebate cards from Sprint that give 5% cashback at CVS.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 9:04 pm

I had the exact same thing happen to me tonight in PA. This was on an attempted purchase of $2000. My credit card was billed for the full amount, and card will be automatically refunded.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
I had the exact same thing happen to me tonight in PA. This was on an attempted purchase of $2000. My credit card was billed for the full amount, and card will be automatically refunded.
You got refund for 1000 $ ? or just 500$ ? 1 or 2 card error ed out ?

Originally Posted by Bigzamboni
Earlier this week I tried purchasing two $500 cards and when they scanned my license the manger said "That puts you at your daily $1000 limit." Of course I then got shut down because I tried to use rebate cards from Sprint that give 5% cashback at CVS.
After i made the purchase for 1500 $ , and got the refund for 500 $ for 1 of the failed card , the manager asked me to try for another card , but after swiping my licence , it didnt even proceed.

So now i think 1000$ per 24h is the new limit
Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:09 am

The purchase has not posted yet, but the refund was for $1000, suggesting that you are right. I'm surprised that there are not more data points though... are we the only two people buying these at CVS still? I did not attempt to rebuy the other $1000 as the manager was suggesting, as I didn't want to trigger any fraud issues.

You got refund for 1000 $ ? or just 500$ ? 1 or 2 card error ed out ?

After i made the purchase for 1500 $ , and got the refund for 500 $ for 1 of the failed card , the manager asked me to try for another card , but after swiping my licence , it didnt even proceed.

So now i think 1000$ per 24h is the new limit
Old Feb 25, 2018, 9:59 am

The purchase has not posted yet, but the refund was for $1000, suggesting that you are right. I'm surprised that there are not more data points though... are we the only two people buying these at CVS still? I did not attempt to rebuy the other $1000 as the manager was suggesting, as I didn't want to trigger any fraud issues.
I’m sure the volume has decreased since the price went up on One Vanilla’s. I only buy if I happen to be going there anyway. I did go to one CVS a month ago where the 4th card was not accepted and said I was over the limit. Figured it was CSR error. Subsequently, a few weeks later, I was able to buy $2k at a different store.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Clueless12

I’m sure the volume has decreased since the price went up on One Vanilla’s.
Also contributing to the decline in CVS would be the end of the USPO. I had one plaza that had a CVS, a PO and my CU. On a good day with no lines I could MS $2K in 10 minutes.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by FrankMS
Also contributing to the decline in CVS would be the end of the USPO. I had one plaza that had a CVS, a PO and my CU. On a good day with no lines I could MS $2K in 10 minutes.
I had the exact same deal. Boy do I miss it.

Last edited by cruisr; Mar 6, 2018 at 8:07 am
Old Feb 25, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Between higher fees as well as other varied limitations that many ms'rs are facing, including lost interest, there is a decline in demand. Some areas have seen steep declines in GC purchases. Also a contributor is that as the economy improves so does the buying and reselling of merchandise on auction sites as well as other online platforms. Some are gaining reward points that way.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:43 am

Ok , so now its better to stick with 1000 $ per day.I am just trying to finish up OBC quota .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.