Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2017 onward. The previous discussion can be found here.

UPDATED Oct-2018: A lot of CVS store take CCs for GC purchases. Some stores check CCs and scan driver's license (with hand scanner). The best GCs are OVVGC and VVGC. The only differences are card designs. The current fee is $5.95 for $25 - $500 variable loading. If prompted for PIN, enter the last 4 digits.

Look for mobile shipping portal with CVS bonus. Certain CCs have category bonus.

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads.
See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

Transaction limits since October 20, 2014:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $ 2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period. (Some are reporting limit of $1000 per 24 hrs as of 2/2018)?
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.

System error after giving them license If you keep getting this error, there could be a problem with the magnetic strip on your license. Have them use the wand to scan it instead.
Print Wikipost

CVS Master Thread(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2017, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by indyjosh
Anyone getting an "alternate payment form required" or the like error? I've gotten it twice today when purchasing $1000. It's the first swipe, but then I swipe the second card without and it processes. Then swipe the first card again and it works just fine." Not sure if this is CVS trying to limit the cards or just my random luck tonight
"It's the first swipe, but then I swipe the second card without and it processes."

indyjosh - What do you mean by "...I swipe the second card without..."?
"without" what?

Tyia for clarifying.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by indyjosh
Anyone getting an "alternate payment form required" or the like error? I've gotten it twice today when purchasing $1000. It's the first swipe, but then I swipe the second card without and it processes. Then swipe the first card again and it works just fine." Not sure if this is CVS trying to limit the cards or just my random luck tonight
I got the same error of "alternate payment required" while buying 1 card of OV ($500) and paying with FB card. The clerk asked me to show him the card, and then said you can't use gc to buy gc!
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by koolr
I got the same error of "alternate payment required" while buying 1 card of OV ($500) and paying with FB card. The clerk asked me to show him the card, and then said you can't use gc to buy gc!
why are you still using FBs a cvs?

Need to convert for usps use?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy

Need to convert for usps use?
Yes, I have some FBs that I need to cash out. I bought one OV yesterday without any problem, but today I got this error message! I will try different location tomorrow.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
Definition of insanity
Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: AA Platinum Jet Blue Mosaic
Cvs: Activation issues

Needed to buy some variable AX GC for business gifts.
Went to two different CVS stores (and one OM)
in South FL.

All three attempts failed as register could not process.

Was not a cc issue as I did not get that far.

At one CVS, manager came over and said that he was supposed to
pull the AX GC off the shelf as they are having activation issues.

Anyone else ?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: Several dozen
Just an update on issues with CVS accepting a nonchip cc for a 500 GC. Just had a repeat issue of a nonchip cc not working at a location on my MS trotline. However, observed clerk make call to manager before cc transaction was completed then card failed when she did the manual number entry. Told her card was preauthorized and asked if she had made an error in number key in. She retried and this time cc worked. Here fishy, fishy, fishy - someone playing AML or fraud hero? Already have a second CVS in my territory that went cash only on management prerogative. Did anyone get the memo? May pay to get chip version of cc as CVS nonchip cc issues are turning out to not be bank, transaction system or card reader related but rather manager or clerk allergies.

On another note, my Simon is nonetoohappy about loosing several 100k in GC sales since November over the USPSMO POS change. The finger definitely points to USPS rather than Meta for the change, but has anyone seen the memo? And what is unique about the few USPS locations where Meta works. Suspect they are contract, but all contracts I have checked are cash only.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Just an update on issues with CVS accepting a nonchip cc for a 500 GC. Just had a repeat issue of a nonchip cc not working at a location on my MS trotline. However, observed clerk make call to manager before cc transaction was completed then card failed when she did the manual number entry. Told her card was preauthorized and asked if she had made an error in number key in. She retried and this time cc worked. Here fishy, fishy, fishy - someone playing AML or fraud hero? Already have a second CVS in my territory that went cash only on management prerogative. Did anyone get the memo? May pay to get chip version of cc as CVS nonchip cc issues are turning out to not be bank, transaction system or card reader related but rather manager or clerk allergies.

On another note, my Simon is nonetoohappy about loosing several 100k in GC sales since November over the USPSMO POS change. The finger definitely points to USPS rather than Meta for the change, but has anyone seen the memo? And what is unique about the few USPS locations where Meta works. Suspect they are contract, but all contracts I have checked are cash only.
Manual entry will NOT work for buying pre-paid GC. I've tried this 2 months ago when some bad stripes on 5B GC didn't work. THe register is programmed to not allow this method.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:51 am

At CVS today I bought 4 OVs. First 3 were activated and last one paused and then on the receipt it printed as "Accepted"? Anyone ever have this happen before? Should I just give it some time to activate?
Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by cdog999
At CVS today I bought 4 OVs. First 3 were activated and last one paused and then on the receipt it printed as "Accepted"? Anyone ever have this happen before? Should I just give it some time to activate?
The accepted one was not activated. Call the number on the back of the GC. You'll have to send the copy of your receipt, your DL and pic of the GC. It takes about a week to have the card fixed.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Zgirl
The accepted one was not activated. Call the number on the back of the GC. You'll have to send the copy of your receipt, your DL and pic of the GC. It takes about a week to have the card fixed.
Thanks, but it looks like it got resolved. Active with a $500 balance when I called in.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 12:16 pm

Same thing happened to me a couple months ago. Called in, said 500 on card. Tried again using card to purchase MO but no go. Called again said 500 on card. Contacted cust service and supplied info as stated by Zgirl. A little more than a week later I received a card printed with my name on it.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
While idly chatting with the manager at CVS while buying OV to pay taxes, for the Citi Dividend Q2 period, she mentioned that apparently in the past few days three people have been trying to be scammed with paying taxes over the phone with OV, with people calling alleged from the IRS asking for payment with OVs. CVS still works as a good location to max out those Freedom and Dividend categories, but not for much else. Also out of the four CVSs I've been to in the past few days, there have been no PPMC available.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 5:55 am

My goto CVS warned me that he thought he saw an internal email possibly about a change or reduction in buying VGCs.

Has anyone heard anything?

I asked to check and get more details.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:42 am

I am new to this but tried 3 seperate CVS in the SLC, Utah area with no luck. Brought up the Vanilla VGC by bancorp to the desk and all 3 said it wouldn't be a probably paying with a credit card. Scanned my ID, asked how much I wanted on the cards, told them $500 and then tried to run the order but it wouldn't work. They told me on their screen that cash was required for these. They tried to override it with no luck. Called the manager over at each place and they told me they couldn't override it. Just my experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.