Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2017, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Travelmuppet
Yesterday I was able to purchase my first post office money order using a vanilla visa. Easy peasy. Today I tried to deposit it at my bank and the teller told me it would take a minute to process because she needed to call in to verify it. When she returned she said I would have to come back later because it cannot be verified for 48 hours from time of purchase. Is this normal?
No.

You shoulda just deposited by ATM.

Either way, when you endorse the back, leave room underneath your sig to write "FOR DEPOSIT ONLY", it might remove any hesitancy if teller thinks you're intending to try and cash the MO.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Travelmuppet
... I tried to deposit it at my bank and the teller told me it would take a minute to process because she needed to call in to verify it. When she returned she said I would have to come back later because it cannot be verified for 48 hours from time of purchase.
Someone said that the PO's system for verification doesn't update immediately after purchase, so it might really be true that they can't verify it for 24 or 48 hours. But as someone else said, just deposit it via ATM.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Or not. The ill wind that blew away Metas last fall in South Florida was first felt in other parts of the country. Stay alert and keep low inventory!

Originally Posted by Radster
As always its YMMV. Its possible your PO tellers recently recd a reminder to look out for GC use. To lower your risk, try doing one GC at a time (ie. not split payment). Best of luck!
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by sbft77
Someone said that the PO's system for verification doesn't update immediately after purchase, so it might really be true that they can't verify it for 24 or 48 hours. But as someone else said, just deposit it via ATM.
That is true for WU MO as well, so not unique to PO MO....
Old Jan 15, 2017, 12:50 am

I have a USB MC. It seems those work ok at PO. Any recent DP?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:31 pm

First experience / Data Point with US Bank VGC

This is my first post here, but I've been reading for a few weeks. Just wanted to document my progress:

Recently received CSP. Also have Freedom (5% back on gas stations this quarter!), Amex BCP, and Amex Schwab.

I'm looking to hit minimum spend on CSP. Fortunately, with tax season I'm not worried about hitting the minimum. However, I've wanted to test out the MS waters to see if I can make any progress.

Mainly, I want to see if I can convert the VGCs into MOs.

I bought my first VGC last week from ralphs/Kroger in La Jolla/San Diego, CA. It's US Bank issued. Just started out with a $102 gift card (yes, 102. I wanted to request a $100 MO). Oddly enough, I wasn't charged any activation fee?? I think this was just a teller error. Card balance is as expected online.

However, my first attempt at a USPS was denied. Payment method not accepted. Card had a pin, but still no luck. There's one other nearby postoffice that I'm going to try out in the next couple days. The WM is quite far away so I would prefer to avoid that, if possible.

I have a Chase Bank account (which I do NOT plan to deposit MO's into), a credit union Bank account that I've been with for years, and have recently applied for a Wells Fargo checking ($250 sign up bonus)

I figure with all these, YMMV. I'm just wondering, Is there anything I should be doing differently? I've read of people having issues with US Bank VGCs at WM.

Lastly, if I'm successful with this first MO, I might MS a bit on my Amex BCP and Freedom.

Again, just documenting my experience / offering a DP, and hoping to find some success.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by pw158
This is my first post here, but I've been reading for a few weeks. Just wanted to document my progress:

Recently received CSP. Also have Freedom (5% back on gas stations this quarter!), Amex BCP, and Amex Schwab.

I'm looking to hit minimum spend on CSP. Fortunately, with tax season I'm not worried about hitting the minimum. However, I've wanted to test out the MS waters to see if I can make any progress.

Mainly, I want to see if I can convert the VGCs into MOs.

I bought my first VGC last week from ralphs/Kroger in La Jolla/San Diego, CA. It's US Bank issued. Just started out with a $102 gift card (yes, 102. I wanted to request a $100 MO). Oddly enough, I wasn't charged any activation fee?? I think this was just a teller error. Card balance is as expected online.

However, my first attempt at a USPS was denied. Payment method not accepted. Card had a pin, but still no luck. There's one other nearby postoffice that I'm going to try out in the next couple days. The WM is quite far away so I would prefer to avoid that, if possible.

I have a Chase Bank account (which I do NOT plan to deposit MO's into), a credit union Bank account that I've been with for years, and have recently applied for a Wells Fargo checking ($250 sign up bonus)

I figure with all these, YMMV. I'm just wondering, Is there anything I should be doing differently? I've read of people having issues with US Bank VGCs at WM.

Lastly, if I'm successful with this first MO, I might MS a bit on my Amex BCP and Freedom.

Again, just documenting my experience / offering a DP, and hoping to find some success.

While US Bank is owned by Bancorp, I'm not certain they act the same ways. The major data points here seem to be with One Vanilla VISA cards issued by Bancorp. That's what I had luck with last week (purchased from Walgreens, $4.95 fee charged in addition to the load amount) and then money order purchased at the post office ($1.20 fee charged in addition to money order amount). I did no split charges or anything and the post office DID ask to make sure it was debit, but didn't ask to actually see the card and I swiped it with the front face of the card facing toward me.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Radster
In my experience, asking for a "split payment" is one way to raise a red flag. Swiping FIVE cards for a split payment is a whole other level. Consider attempting $1k lots first. Particularly, given your location.
Can you explain what you mean by "given your location"?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by crazytravelguy
Can you explain what you mean by "given your location"?
His profile says he's in SF. From what I've read around here the Bay Area is particularly harsh for MS, though I've never experienced it firsthand.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by acarney
While US Bank is owned by Bancorp, I'm not certain they act the same ways.
This is incorrect, US Bancorp is the parent company of US Bank, which is a different entity than The Bancorp Bank.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Bancorp

https://www.thebancorp.com/
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by shipitkthx
Does it say "Card Issued by the Bancorp Bank ........ serviced by InComm" on the back?

I just used one of these at PO today, zero issues, in and out in <5 minutes
This is right. Thanks
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:29 pm

I was in my local Walmart Marketplace store tonight and noticed they were selling Bancorp Vanilla VGC. Would these work just like the CVS/WG cards at USPS?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:50 pm

Several posts on first few pages talking about possibility of Postal investigators investigating money laundering etc due to too many MOs. I have not heard of many first hand reports saying they were investigated etc, With FB deal about to close, what do you guys think of this aspect?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali
Several posts on first few pages talking about possibility of Postal investigators investigating money laundering etc due to too many MOs. I have not heard of many first hand reports saying they were investigated etc, With FB deal about to close, what do you guys think of this aspect?
I had a visit from one of them the guy was a total dick. but i guess that's his job lol
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali
FB deal?

Last edited by noturbizniss; Jan 17, 2017 at 4:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.