Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Travelz
This is a new thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

READ the posts in this thread before asking questions. Many have already been answered.

10k per day limit including fees - must fill out a form (use cards as a budget tool or whatever you want to put)
Check the Simon website for locations.
VGC issued by meta for 3.95 - Count your cards before you leave the mall
When ordering online, Simon uses GCM.
Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards(2017-2018)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2017, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Chelski
Apple Pay worked back when Discover gave 10% back for using Apple Pay. At least my mall is equipped with NFC but they deactivated it. It may work again but the only reason I ever used it was the 10% cashback.
My Simon Mall doesn't take Apple/Android pay. I assume that Samsung would work through MST. Put my phone all around the reader but no response
Old May 10, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: Whatever you have, I have too.
Originally Posted by svasandani
Can you cashout Sunnies at Walmart or Kroger or PO?
I had no problem at my nearby Kroger.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
Originally Posted by noassumptions
Fee-free Sunnies return to certain MacerMalls for a week starting next Monday. 5/day/person as per T&C's that are online. If you're lucky your mall may have a local version where "gift card" is well camouflaged.
Originally Posted by Davyboyo
Awesome. Thank you. Is the promo for a full 7 days or just Mon-Fri?
Originally Posted by fromfall98
Source for the info?
Originally Posted by hiima
The sign up at the local macer mall?
Originally Posted by Fly1Away1
Check your local mall's website. The promo should be listed in the events page.

It's runs 5/8-5/14.
Originally Posted by kajukenbo
You mean Macerich Malls. Thank you for the information.
Originally Posted by billybobson1402
DoC had a post earlier today on it.

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/fee-fr...-malls-58-514/
Originally Posted by fromfall98
Thanks! Doesn't look like Simon Mall in Allen TX is participating.

Cheers!
Don't even know why this is even being discussed here. Make your own Macerich Malls thread and keep that out of this one.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by omghaxcode
I haven't and I'll start with a sample run of just $100 or something. I've been told Austin area WMs do work though. Is everything else correct assuming WM isn't an issue?
Just a quick data point that I grabbed 4 VGCs from Lakeline Mall in North Austin and two HEBs and one Walmart in the immediate area didn't allow me to purchase money orders with them.

I've had no issues with Kroger and HEB in Houston so looks like I'll be holding on to them until I head back south...
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by DPoulnot
Just a quick data point that I grabbed 4 VGCs from Lakeline Mall in North Austin and two HEBs and one Walmart in the immediate area didn't allow me to purchase money orders with them.

I've had no issues with Kroger and HEB in Houston so looks like I'll be holding on to them until I head back south...
That walmart has a few stickler employees but if you go at the right time, they will let you do it.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: Alaska, Shell VC, Wyndham VC, Starwood, RCI, II--I bought it on eBay!
Our Kroger store stopped allowing Money Order purchases on all gift cards just recently. Walmart still does allow it, and we have turned to Walmart for all of our grocery needs as well, so liquidating is still good at Walmarts in Colorado. We have been to many of them.

One lady at our closest WM asked us our motive for buying these money orders, and we told her the truth: to build points and miles. She jumps in to help us each and every time now because she now knows what we are doing and is no longer suspicious.

Walmart employees apparently have meetings talking about the evil money order business and money laundering, and she was always so weird before. Now she is willing to help us without any questions.

Sometimes honesty is better than allowing them to imagine what you are doing.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptimesharetraveler
Our Kroger store stopped allowing Money Order purchases on all gift cards just recently. Walmart still does allow it, and we have turned to Walmart for all of our grocery needs as well, so liquidating is still good at Walmarts in Colorado. We have been to many of them.

One lady at our closest WM asked us our motive for buying these money orders, and we told her the truth: to build points and miles. She jumps in to help us each and every time now because she now knows what we are doing and is no longer suspicious.

Walmart employees apparently have meetings talking about the evil money order business and money laundering, and she was always so weird before. Now she is willing to help us without any questions.

Sometimes honesty is better than allowing them to imagine what you are doing.
I agree fully with this. While I don't just blurt it out to all, I'd rather have them know I am not engaging in illegal activity.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: AOPA
New rule at the local mall, if your card gets declined due to fraud alert, you can not use that card again for that transaction.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by teddy25
New rule at the local mall, if your card gets declined due to fraud alert, you can not use that card again for that transaction.
That's supposedly Simon's rule everywhere but may be selectively enforced.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by Carl
That's supposedly Simon's rule everywhere but may be selectively enforced.
New here,Citi bank fraud alert isgoing nuts too.

Last edited by teddy25; Jul 14, 2017 at 8:24 pm
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: Citi AAdvantage
I stopped using Simon's VGC all together. They gave me a snafu at WM. They don't want to take them anymore. Now, I'm GCM and Bluebird 5K per month + 2% Cash back. It works for the time being.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by teddy25
New here, Citi bank fraud alley is going nuts too.
The trick (YMMV) is to put the card away and (after clearing the alert which hopefully instantly resolved) then say, "here, I'll use this card instead" while you swipe the same one again. It doesn't work trying to talk logic and explain that it's common for banks to send an SMS asking you to confirm a large transaction before it's approved. And needless to say, never use the word fraud at all. It's like trying to joke with the TSA.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by Carl
The trick (YMMV) is to put the card away and (after clearing the alert which hopefully instantly resolved) then say, "here, I'll use this card instead" while you swipe the same one again. It doesn't work trying to talk logic and explain that it's common for banks to send an SMS asking you to confirm a large transaction before it's approved. And needless to say, never use the word fraud at all. It's like trying to joke with the TSA.
That wont work for locations that look at yhe catd to see if it matches your name and write down the last four digits, so yeah, YMMV!
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by rrayon
I stopped using Simon's VGC all together. They gave me a snafu at WM. They don't want to take them anymore. Now, I'm GCM and Bluebird 5K per month + 2% Cash back. It works for the time being.
Wow, who knew. For me, Simon VGCs are the best, as they drain softly at my go to Wally Worlds. Split transaction, two cards and cash for the fee on a $1,000 USD MO and not a problem. Actually, yesterday night I bought one MO with Simons without a problem.

Only time a Simon VGC gave me a problem (declined), it ended up being not activated correctly by Simon Mall CS and the transaction amount being automatically returned to my CC. Of course, used another Simon to pay for that MO without a problem.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: All of them
Anyone else having issues with these today? Tried to use them at WM and a local grocery store, about 3 out of 4 failed with a timeout error, a few did go through so I was able to pay for one round of MOs.

Btw, the failure was from cards across batches from last few days, so it must be a communication error with the vendor/bank.

Update: I checked the card balances on those that filed and they're not even found as valid cards, the same happened for ones that went through for sure. Must be a computer failure on their end.

Last edited by littlewinglet; Jul 22, 2017 at 10:14 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.