Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread includes all posts for 2016 onwards. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread is here. The 2015 thread is here.

This card is no longer available to new applicants!

Bonus category spending is now capped at $50,000 per year.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex.

Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

Excessive MS on this card may sever your ties with Amex. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500ą spend in a reward year˛, you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchasesł (5% after 6500⁴), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

ą First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

ł 'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

⁴ 5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 2–3 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2022, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by barrytuneup
...I used to buy gum or a can of tuna but it seems to make no difference. But to be careful I have reverted back to buying a small item...
Really pointless to throw in something extra and think you can fool them. That made no difference for bonus points clawback they did for Hilton/Marriott/Delta cards back in mid 2020. I think as long as you don't do all 50K in a weekend, Amex doesn't really care. I wouldn't be so sure this card is costing Amex a lot, the overall card portfolio may still be profitable for Amex. The regular people that signed up for this card 15-20 years ago are now approaching middle-age and could be carrying more balances.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by brc01
Really pointless to throw in something extra and think you can fool them. That made no difference for bonus points clawback they did for Hilton/Marriott/Delta cards back in mid 2020. I think as long as you don't do all 50K in a weekend, Amex doesn't really care. I wouldn't be so sure this card is costing Amex a lot, the overall card portfolio may still be profitable for Amex. The regular people that signed up for this card 15-20 years ago are now approaching middle-age and could be carrying more balances.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 5:16 pm

thanks for the insights. yeah, no need to buy extra stuff which I proved to myself numerous times. My family signed up for these in 2006. I think. Not sure. One card was closed during the "massacre way back it's been a long time. BUT I still wonder if the number of folks using this card for MS is in the 1000, 100, or 50k??/bet some folks just have it and use it for regular GGD spend. BUT 1 problem, I used 1 OBC at BJ gas last month (at the pump), and only got 1%. Not complaining. also during the dark days of Covid, when my family did not go in person to shop, I had 2200 cash back on 1 OBC, 1300 cash back on card 2, and 1100 cash back on card 3. (95% MS )Via chat, they were able to mail me 3 checks for the cashback
. I used a BCP to shop online during that time period. But, again, thanks for the advice.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by brc01
Really pointless to throw in something extra and think you can fool them.
I still do it. Not that I think I can fool them, but the less reason to be looking at my account, the better. Right after I crossed my latest 6500 threshold, I had like 3-4 500+ charges that showed 5% rewards, then one that didn't, then all since have been 5% rewards. No way I was gonna call about that one missing reward. It wasn't worth it to put eyes on my account.

I think as long as you don't do all 50K in a weekend, Amex doesn't really care.
Yep, I remember back when people were trying to do 50K in the first couple months of the year and got shut down. They didn't grasp that doing like 20K or more a month looks to Amex like your attempting to do a lot more on an annualized basis. The velocity could even be triggered by the algorithm.

I wouldn't be so sure this card is costing Amex a lot, the overall card portfolio may still be profitable for Amex. The regular people that signed up for this card 15-20 years ago are now approaching middle-age and could be carrying more balances.
And Amex can pitch to advertisers that they have these high-spending cardholders they can advertise to.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 8:39 pm

thanks for the insights. yeah, no need to buy extra stuff which I proved to myself numerous times. My family signed up for these in 2006. I think. Not sure. One card was closed during the "massacre way back it's been a long time. BUT I still wonder if the number of folks using this card for MS is in the 1000, 100, or 50k??/bet some folks just have it and use it for regular GGD spend. BUT 1 problem, I used 1 OBC at BJ gas last month (at the pump), and only got 1%. Not complaining. also during the dark days of Covid, when my family did not go in person to shop, I had 2200 cash back on 1 OBC, 1300 cash back on card 2, and 1100 cash back on card 3. (95% MS )Via chat, they were able to mail me 3 checks for the cashback
. I used a BCP to shop online during that time period. But, again, thanks for the advice.
Still using 2 here. Lost one last year in the Adam Amex shutdown and couldn’t get it reinstated.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 7:44 am

so what was the "Adam Amex shutdown"? TIA
Old Nov 20, 2022, 11:51 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
so what was the "Adam Amex shutdown"? TIA
Just google "adam amex shutdown" and you will quickly find the answer.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 12:54 pm

BUT 1 problem, I used 1 OBC at BJ gas last month (at the pump), and only got 1%.
I believe most Amex will not give the gas bonus at wholesale clubs and grocery store fuel stations. I’ve used mine at Sam’s, Costco, Kroger and other grocery chains for gas and have always just got 1x or 1% from Amex.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 12:54 pm

thanks for the info. I buy Gulf gas cards in grocery stores with these OBC for 5% off and use them at Gulf for cash price. Do BJ gift cards sold in the BJ stores work for their gas stations? I have a Discover miles card that gives back 3% after the first year. TIA
Old Nov 25, 2022, 6:52 am

[QUOTE=Whittaker;34755843Yep, I remember back when people were trying to do 50K in the first couple months of the year and got shut down. They didn't grasp that doing like 20K or more a month looks to Amex like your attempting to do a lot more on an annualized basis. The velocity could even be triggered by the algorithm[/QUOTE]

i still squeeze 4/5 obc in a week. The last one i did a credit limit transfer from 1 card to another and they wont let me redo it-beware-so 1 card has a $500 limit and it takes forever to get to 56500.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 10:07 am

sorry to hear that. That's tough. I do about 4 500vgc every 10 days plus grocery shopping. Ok for 15 years. using 2 family cards and a 3rd will start up in a few months. We must keep good records with payments, charges, etc. I love that they release the CL as soon as a payment is made! been like that from the beginning.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by wrinkle7
i still squeeze 4/5 obc in a week.
That would get you to 50K in about half a year. People were getting shutdown at more than twice that velocity. Of course that was then and this is now.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 7:44 am

still would love to know what you people think about how many folks are still using these cards for MSing, like us. I can not believe it's that high. maybe 600?
Old Nov 26, 2022, 2:40 pm

still would love to know what you people think about how many folks are still using these cards for MSing, like us. I can not believe it's that high. maybe 600?
have been doing 2 cards since day One.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by Clueless12
Still using 2 here. Lost one last year in the Adam Amex shutdown and couldn’t get it reinstated.

Hmmmm. I still have mine. Used it with great success before the massacre AND the BB/Serve shutdowns. After that, kept using it with other methods—but they were increasingly time consuming or annoying. Then life changed. A few things happened (family deaths, divorces) and my situation changed. Too much of a pita to use OBC during other issues. Then life changed again, this time for the better. No need or desire to MS any longer-takes too much time from family and travel. But still have the card. Because if life changes again, that option could help. Now I lean on other cards, for daily spend, status boosts, etc. Not much MS nowadays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.