Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread includes all posts for 2016 onwards. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread is here. The 2015 thread is here.

This card is no longer available to new applicants!

Bonus category spending is now capped at $50,000 per year.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex.

Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

Excessive MS on this card may sever your ties with Amex. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500¹ spend in a reward year², you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchases³ (5% after 6500⁴), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

¹ First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

³ 'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

⁴ 5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 2–3 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: All of them
Strange, mine shows correct dates and I've gotten 5x on everything up to mid August. I just started spending on it again. I would call support just in case maybe there's some technical glitch with your account.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by sychin
Anyone know why my reward year dates in my account online are not getting updated? It shows as Reward Year 06/25/18 - 06/24/19 and should be 06/25/19 - 06/24/20. I also noticed I'm not getting 5% anymore for groceries. Should I call Amex or am I on the way to getting an FR or blacklisted?
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the dates to update - my reward year begins in February, and it finally updated to 2019-20 some time in the late summer. It didn't affect my ability to earn the expected amount.

As for the 5% on groceries, I assume you've verified that you're not over the annual limit. How recently did this start happening and how can you tell you're not getting 5%? In my experience, recent purchases aren't designated as 5% cash back on the website (under "statements and activity") until a week or so after they post. Also, the category is supermarkets, not groceries, so smaller markets often don't count. Could either of those explain what you're seeing?
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Mine hasn't changed either. Still at "Reward Year: 08/03/18 - 08/02/19"

Now, I also haven't been using it much, as I only bought one $500 VGC to extract all my cash back left, which was a little over $250 and pay only the remaining balance. Now I need to re start the $6,500 spend at 0.5% cash back, but with the Amex Rose Gold as my top of wallet, I have trouble using this one, as Membership Rewards have been so useful for all my trips in J and F to Asia, that I find myself taking advantage of the 4X MR instead of the Cash Back 5%. Well, I guess once I get to stay more time in the middle of nowhere mid west, I will go back to maxing out both cards annual cap at supermarkets.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 12:12 pm

My mistake. I looked at "Track Reward Dollars" in the account and it showed 1% reward on the supermarket transactions which is correct because I had not quite spent $6500 yet. But in the last month, I spend another $7K and didn't see that yet. The pending award dollars show around $350, so I assume everything is correct and it will show in there soon. Thanks to all that replied.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 9:20 am

yes the rewards years seem to be way behind on the opening page. Just go to chat and verify. My reward years on my OBC cards are always off but I always receive the 5%. Just use chat to verify..however I would do the chat on 2 different days..some reps give out entirely wrong info.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:02 pm

Got a message that the card design is changing and will be mailed out - anyone know if its the same new blue one as the nbc/new accounts?
Old Oct 3, 2019, 8:48 pm

Interest charges

My last month's account balance was $800+. I applied my cash back of $1500+ this month. Currently it shows my balance as -300+. However, I got a reminder saying my statement payment is due. Will I get interest charges on my next account statement? (My minimum payment is currently listed as zero)
Old Oct 4, 2019, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by msthegame
My last month's account balance was $800+. I applied my cash back of $1500+ this month. Currently it shows my balance as -300+. However, I got a reminder saying my statement payment is due. Will I get interest charges on my next account statement? (My minimum payment is currently listed as zero)
IME there's no interest, but you have to make the minimum payment even with an already negative balance or you'll forfeit that statement's rewards which normally would post with your next statement.
808traveler likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 11:42 am

"Click on Statements and Activity>Preview New Version>Cash Back Rewards Overview.
You will see the rewards per transaction for each billing period."

Anyone notice this has disappeared?
Old Nov 12, 2019, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by philsthril
"Click on Statements and Activity>Preview New Version>Cash Back Rewards Overview.

Yeah, I noticed that. I hope they bring it back, it was a great way to track spending.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by lovesfashion
Got a message that the card design is changing and will be mailed out - anyone know if its the same new blue one as the nbc/new accounts?
Just got a new card last week. The design hasn't changed all that much, they replaced the arrow next to the cash with a circle so now it's the identical design as BCE.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by philsthril

Big Time.

But, it's BAAAAACK!

In 'Statements', in the left-hand side-bar, under 'Suggested For You': 'Cashback Rewards Overview''.

Nice.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 5:17 pm

Crap, 3 of 3 cards removing benefits..most upset with removal of extended warranty...first discover, then citi now this - will have no cards left with any warranty perk ;(

Anyone have any suggestions of cards that have it still, other than costco citi and simplicity?

Last edited by lovesfashion; Dec 27, 2019 at 5:28 pm
Old Dec 29, 2019, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Whittaker
Big Time.

But, it's BAAAAACK!

In 'Statements', in the left-hand side-bar, under 'Suggested For You': 'Cashback Rewards Overview''.

Nice.
NOT REALLY. These cards have an anniversary date..not a calendar year. Used to be able to see spend from first day of anniversary to the current date by clicking on calendar. Now have to check each statement for the total spend so not to go over 56500 limit. takes longer and a step backward. getting harder all the time. i guess it one maxes out card in 2 or 3 months..not a bad thing.
yanxfann likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by barrytuneup
NOT REALLY. These cards have an anniversary date..not a calendar year. Used to be able to see spend from first day of anniversary to the current date by clicking on calendar.
Yep. But they eliminated that view quite a while back. This was more recent. The key was the "Preview New Version" within where philsthril was pointing. Weird part was the long delay between taking down the preview before rolling out the new version. Usually that kind of stuff happens at 4AM one night.

Now have to check each statement for the total spend so not to go over 56500 limit. takes longer and a step backward. getting harder all the time. i guess it one maxes out card in 2 or 3 months..not a bad thing.
A lot of those folks got shut down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.