Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread includes all posts for 2016 onwards. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread is here. The 2015 thread is here.

This card is no longer available to new applicants!

Bonus category spending is now capped at $50,000 per year.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex.

Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

Excessive MS on this card may sever your ties with Amex. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500¹ spend in a reward year², you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchases³ (5% after 6500⁴), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

¹ First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

³ 'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

⁴ 5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 2–3 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by Whittaker
Thanks. At least I can resort to the non-L3 purchases.
I'm pretty sure many major grocery chains do provide L3. Didn't a bunch of people get Hilton clawbacks recently?
Old Sep 12, 2020, 5:11 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by littlewinglet
I'm pretty sure many major grocery chains do provide L3. Didn't a bunch of people get Hilton clawbacks recently?
There is some speculation that the clawbacks were based on the dollar amount of the transactions rather than L3 data.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
I'm pretty sure many major grocery chains do provide L3.
Of course they do, but I have several multi-branch regional chains available that are not.

LOVE my non-L3 grocers!
Old Sep 12, 2020, 9:29 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
There is some speculation that the clawbacks were based on the dollar amount of the transactions rather than L3 data.
People have been getting away with MSing Gold at grocery stores as well. Seems the rats only care about MSR and other bonuses, ongoing on MS doesn't get much attention.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 2:15 pm

It's troubling to think that a supermarket would pass on L3 data, when they often have a pharmacy in the store and that could expose private medical information.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Huzordaddy
It's troubling to think that a supermarket would pass on L3 data, when they often have a pharmacy in the store and that could expose private medical information.
A pharmacy dept COULD be reporting differently. I know the checkout at some pharmacies in drug stores rang-up differently than the front checkouts. But it's all a mishmash. I have a 7/eleven that shows on my statement as 'service station', and the sub-data shows gas or fuel, but I don't get the 5%.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 6:19 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Huzordaddy
HIPAA does allow transmittal of medical information to allow insurance companies to bill, and for payment of medical bills, which also includes pharmacuticals.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 11:27 am

Haven't checked things since covid hit. Still BAU at CVS?
Old Oct 10, 2020, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by matsmyth
Haven't checked things since covid hit. Still BAU at CVS?
Yes
Old Nov 2, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA, Southwest
Gift cards at grocery should still work. YMMV.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 3:17 pm

My recent experiences: GC at Food Lion, Harris Teeter still counts, if you can find them
Old Apr 3, 2021, 3:11 pm

Did a cash redemption a week ago, still hasn't posted. Order says complete like all previous orders. Anyone else have delayed redemptions lately?

Might wait a month to see if it eventually posts, but not thrilled if I have to call in and put eyes on the account.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by brc01
Did a cash redemption a week ago, still hasn't posted. Order says complete like all previous orders. Anyone else have delayed redemptions lately?

Might wait a month to see if it eventually posts, but not thrilled if I have to call in and put eyes on the account.
I would wait.
brc01 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 9:20 am

Update: redemption posted today with original order date so it can take up to 10 days.

It seems Amex is being slow with everything these days.
ChrisFlyer66 likes this.
Old May 10, 2021, 10:15 am

Are rewards now posting faster? Pending rewards from my last statement two weeks ago became available sometime last week. I'm surprised as I wasn't expecting to be able to redeem them until after the next statement closed as has been the norm before this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.