Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread has posts from 2016 onward; prior posts can be found here.
The thread for 2018 is here.
***If you buy gift cards outside promotions, you will earn ZERO points.***

Giant MD and Stop & Shop's points now stack with Shell's Fuel Rewards. See more here.
If you link a Mastercard to Fuel Rewards, you will earn an additional $0.15/gal for every $100 spent on anything at Giant/S&S with that card through the end of the year.

Accepted tender: Cash, credit, and debit. Also available are mobile/contactless payment (Apple Pay, etc.) and mobile loyalty (card barcode via app).

Summary
Stop & Shop (S&S), Giant Food Stores (Giant PA), and Giant Food (Giant MD) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for a discount on the price paid per gallon on fuel sales at Shell and S&S/Giant fuel stations. $100* spend = 100 pts = 10c/gal discount. The particular rules vary between the three brands, and within Giant PA, the rules vary by location. Refer to the bottom of this wiki post for more information or links to official info from each brand.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

- - - - - - - - - -
Current promotions
Fuel Rewards:
- $0.15/gal for every $100 spent at qualifying supermarkets with a Mastercard through the end of the year
Weekly Ad (advert starting 2017-__-__):
- Stop & Shop:
- Giant MD:
- Giant PA:
- Martin's:
- - - - - - - - - -
Additional Information

• A loyalty card is required to take advantage of gas rewards. They look like the above image and can be obtained either online (links at end of wiki) or in-person (at the customer service counter).

• The cards currently on promotion are listed in the current weekly circular and usually change every week. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank on the back.

• S&S and Giant (DC, DE, MD, and VA) allow you to redeem up to 1500 points ($1.50/gal) per fuel purchase, and points expire 30 days after the qualifying purchase. With Giant PA, there is no limit to the number of points redeemed at one time.

• Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program.

• Your ID may be required when buying gift cards. Your name and other info may also be recorded for purchases over a discretionary dollar value. Whether you're buying a $100 card or a $5k stack, your experience will vary.

• You can view your account online using the link at the bottom of the wiki.

• It's best to purchase gift cards at the customer service counter, but reports state that a single $500 gift card can be paid for at any register without an issue. Purchases over $1k will require manager authorisation with a physical key, which may slow down the queue. You can go to the Solution Center to save time and make things easier for everyone.

• Giant Eagle and Giant Food are different chains with different ownership, and this thread is not relevant to the former.

• If you have more points in your account than are redeemed for a fuel purchase, then the remaining points will stay in your account until their respective expiration date(s). For example, if you have 2500 points and debit the 1500 ($1.50/gal) maximum, you will have 1000 points left. Similar behaviour if gas is ever below $1.50/gal before discount.

• If you don't receive eligible points with your purchase due to system or human error, you can have them retroactively added by customer service (in-store or by phone). Have your receipt and a copy of the advert. It can take up to 24 hours for keyed points to appear in your account.
Official Rewards Pages
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Weekly Circulars
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2017, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
My Giant has Visas issued by Sunrise Bank. Would those work at the Post Office? I know the Metabank Visas don't work.
No PO, but they work at WM.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 7:24 am

So if S&S and FR are linked, will these points even show on the S&S app anymore? Since I linked, the only balance I see is in the FR app.

Last edited by Amex For Children Of Africa; Oct 15, 2017 at 8:04 am
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Amex For Children Of Africa
So if S&S and FR are linked, will these points even show on the S&S app anymore? Since I linked, the only balance I see is in the FR app. It also looks like I got 0 points from the 2x S&S VGC purchase(I think S&S messed up originally), but then got 0.15 cents per $100 I spent on the GCs in FR...weird
I think it's all just really delayed.

I bought a $500 GC Friday at S&S 8am.
The S&S points were there Friday night at Shell (I filled up).
The MC points just showed up this morning.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: MR, SPG, UR
Originally Posted by Car Jack

Which mastercard you guys use at grocery store that earn decent rewards?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by MusicalMind
Which mastercard you guys use at grocery store that earn decent rewards?
The Capital One Mastercards are pretty good, and they also have integrated contactless.

There's also the Citi Double Cash.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by Car Jack

essentially the same timeline for me. good to see it still works on weekends.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I was travelling in the Charlottesville, VA area, needed gas, and whipped out my new Fuel Rewards card at a Shell station. This Friday in NoVa, I bought 1500 in gift cards, and earned 3000 Giant gas points. I linked a Mastercard and used that to buy the gift cards.

I was curious what would happen when I swiped my Fuel Rewards card.

Charlottesville is an outlier in the Giant program because they have a Giant Landover store, but it doesn't seem to participate in gas rewards and the Giant gas station finder doesn't list any Shell stations in the area that participate.

Gas was $2.29/gallon and when I swiped my card, the price went down to 1.9 cents gallon. The pump cut off at 20 gallons. I was a happy customer!

I looked tonight at my Giant account and my FR account. I still have all my 3000 Giant gas rewards. It seems like I earned 2250 FR points for using my Mastercard to buy those GCs, and those points are gone from my FR account.

So if I keep buying gift cards at Giant with my linked Mastercard, will I keep earning 15 cents/gallon FR for every $100 I buy through the end of the year? And if I use my FR card at a gas station that participates in Giant gas rewards, will they ever take any points out of my Giant gas rewards account (assuming I "cover" the purchase with my FR balance?

This program seems quite confusing to me, but it certainly seems generous at the moment!
Old Oct 15, 2017, 9:18 pm

Interesting...S&S program minimum is now at 10.9 cents per gallon. Before it was fixed a couple of days ago the minimum was also 1.9 cents.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:32 am

So if I keep buying gift cards at Giant with my linked Mastercard, will I keep earning 15 cents/gallon FR for every $100 I buy through the end of the year?

This program seems quite confusing to me, but it certainly seems generous at the moment!
You earn 15 cents for every $100 up to $125. Rewards good till the end of the second full month. So rewards earned now will be good till 12/31/17.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by gw14
You earn 15 cents for every $100 up to $125. Rewards good till the end of the second full month. So rewards earned now will be good till 12/31/17.
What's that $125 cap? Max savings? First time I hear about it.

Edit:

Found it: "You can earn up to a maximum of $125/gal in savings for the Mastercard 15¢ Grocer Bonus."

This is not bad, ~50 trips to the gas station with current prices.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:58 am

I have a question regarding Giants PA

it looks like there are 2 type of stores https://giantfood.com/ & https://giantfoodstores.com/

Probably the same parent company....We recently moved from NJ to PA and my nearest giant happens to be --> https://giantfoodstores.com/

The FAQ on the https://giantfoodstores.com/ says the max limit is upto 25 gallons...is this correct as it is usually 20 gallons in S&S NJ? It also doesn't mention anything about max discount....if i have enough points will the gas be free? And when i try to find gas stores it shows limited shell stores 11miles away and a few giant gas stations 10miles away,...is this accurate?With the current promo i have about 2.5k points, can i use this at any shell station or only the ones mentioned on the https://giantfoodstores.com/ store locator?

Kind of a bummer that me and wife will need to drive together 10miles away for gas....
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
What's that $125 cap? Max savings? First time I hear about it.

Edit:

Found it: "You can earn up to a maximum of $125/gal in savings for the Mastercard 15¢ Grocer Bonus."

This is not bad, ~50 trips to the gas station with current prices.
Yeah, not much of a cap for an individual.

So if I understand the "linked Mastercard" award, that award (unlike MOST FR bonuses) expires at the end of the month two months later (Dec. 31 currently). That's crazy generous, of course. The question is how I can use it.

If I swipe my Fuel Rewards card at a Shell that ALSO participates in Giant Gas Rewards, will it give me the full FR discount? Or will it limit me to $1.50? Will it deduct the Giant Rewards first? And what happens if I've used up all my Giant rewards and only have FR rewards?

Also, are the FR rewards good at ANY Shell station in the USA? Like, for example, say I'll be in Florida at Xmas time. Can I buy gift cards at my local Giant now, and use the points in Florida in December (while also earning free.cheap gas to use locally now)?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:07 am

so for mastercard program, do you provide s&s card at checkout or FR?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:32 am
soy

Programs: various

So if I understand the "linked Mastercard" award, that award (unlike MOST FR bonuses) expires at the end of the month two months later (Dec. 31 currently). That's crazy generous, of course. The question is how I can use it.

If I swipe my Fuel Rewards card at a Shell that ALSO participates in Giant Gas Rewards, will it give me the full FR discount? Or will it limit me to $1.50? Will it deduct the Giant Rewards first? And what happens if I've used up all my Giant rewards and only have FR rewards?

Also, are the FR rewards good at ANY Shell station in the USA? Like, for example, say I'll be in Florida at Xmas time. Can I buy gift cards at my local Giant now, and use the points in Florida in December (while also earning free.cheap gas to use locally now)?
I think this is wrong, points expire on the last day of the month following the month where they were earned.....so points earned today, expire at end Nov.
Still very generous, just hope it lasts as T&C say it can be pulled at any time.

FR work at all participating Shell, a quick search on FR site found plenty of locations in Miami.

If you swipe S&S, you are limited to $1.50, but swiping FR has no such limit. I cannot answer which points are used first. My wish is that they pull the S&S
first and then add on any FR.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:34 am

Respectfully submitted: I think you need to experiment to find your answers. This thread and contributors to it mix too many variables, which makes dependable answers rare.

FWIW: I linked my Giant and FR accounts a while back, via link on the Giant site. I use my Giant card at a Shell stnt in NoVa. It consistently combines any and all available Giant and FR discounts (for me, that's usually $1.50 plus $.05). Also, when I have a MC bonus available via FR, it applies that as well, down to a min price of 1.9 cents per gallon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.