Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread has posts from 2016 onward; prior posts can be found here.
The thread for 2018 is here.
***If you buy gift cards outside promotions, you will earn ZERO points.***

Giant MD and Stop & Shop's points now stack with Shell's Fuel Rewards. See more here.
If you link a Mastercard to Fuel Rewards, you will earn an additional $0.15/gal for every $100 spent on anything at Giant/S&S with that card through the end of the year.

Accepted tender: Cash, credit, and debit. Also available are mobile/contactless payment (Apple Pay, etc.) and mobile loyalty (card barcode via app).

Summary
Stop & Shop (S&S), Giant Food Stores (Giant PA), and Giant Food (Giant MD) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for a discount on the price paid per gallon on fuel sales at Shell and S&S/Giant fuel stations. $100* spend = 100 pts = 10c/gal discount. The particular rules vary between the three brands, and within Giant PA, the rules vary by location. Refer to the bottom of this wiki post for more information or links to official info from each brand.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

- - - - - - - - - -
Current promotions
Fuel Rewards:
- $0.15/gal for every $100 spent at qualifying supermarkets with a Mastercard through the end of the year
Weekly Ad (advert starting 2017-__-__):
- Stop & Shop:
- Giant MD:
- Giant PA:
- Martin's:
- - - - - - - - - -
Additional Information

• A loyalty card is required to take advantage of gas rewards. They look like the above image and can be obtained either online (links at end of wiki) or in-person (at the customer service counter).

• The cards currently on promotion are listed in the current weekly circular and usually change every week. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank on the back.

• S&S and Giant (DC, DE, MD, and VA) allow you to redeem up to 1500 points ($1.50/gal) per fuel purchase, and points expire 30 days after the qualifying purchase. With Giant PA, there is no limit to the number of points redeemed at one time.

• Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program.

• Your ID may be required when buying gift cards. Your name and other info may also be recorded for purchases over a discretionary dollar value. Whether you're buying a $100 card or a $5k stack, your experience will vary.

• You can view your account online using the link at the bottom of the wiki.

• It's best to purchase gift cards at the customer service counter, but reports state that a single $500 gift card can be paid for at any register without an issue. Purchases over $1k will require manager authorisation with a physical key, which may slow down the queue. You can go to the Solution Center to save time and make things easier for everyone.

• Giant Eagle and Giant Food are different chains with different ownership, and this thread is not relevant to the former.

• If you have more points in your account than are redeemed for a fuel purchase, then the remaining points will stay in your account until their respective expiration date(s). For example, if you have 2500 points and debit the 1500 ($1.50/gal) maximum, you will have 1000 points left. Similar behaviour if gas is ever below $1.50/gal before discount.

• If you don't receive eligible points with your purchase due to system or human error, you can have them retroactively added by customer service (in-store or by phone). Have your receipt and a copy of the advert. It can take up to 24 hours for keyed points to appear in your account.
Official Rewards Pages
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Weekly Circulars
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:38 am

I'm a little confused why people are asking if it drains either FR or S&S points first. Don't you chose what program number to use? My experience is I type in my S&S to get $1.50/gal off, and if I wanted to use my FR points I would just type that rewards number. The accounts are linked, but they are 2 separate programs.

Originally Posted by iahphx
Thanks -- will do.

BTW, what MC are folks using to maximize this deal? I don't have a lot of MCs, and the only one I have that I know that has a category bonus for supermarkets is IHG. That gives 2 points. Given the weak valuation of IHG points, I still don't think it's worth using that card!
Using the JetBlue Plus here.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:26 am

If you have.....say $2.00 in stop and shop points, $2.00 in FR rewards, if you go to the pump that's say $2.69, and type in your S&S number, you'll get $1.50 off and gas will cost you $1.19 a gallon. If you put in your FR card, you'll get $2.60 off a gallon and pay 9 cents a gallon.

I had a fraudulent (probably just a mistake) charge from across the country using the FR alternate ID (tel number) and it only drained FR points....no S&S points. Hint....add a pin to your alternate within the FR site.

So my experience is that if you want max discount, use the FR card.

I use my citi double cash mc at S&S.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Car Jack
If you have.....say $2.00 in stop and shop points, $2.00 in FR rewards, if you go to the pump that's say $2.69, and type in your S&S number, you'll get $1.50 off and gas will cost you $1.19 a gallon. If you put in your FR card, you'll get $2.60 off a gallon and pay 9 cents a gallon.

I had a fraudulent (probably just a mistake) charge from across the country using the FR alternate ID (tel number) and it only drained FR points....no S&S points. Hint....add a pin to your alternate within the FR site.

Thanks I added a Pin. It was worrying me a bit that my phone# was the alt ID...
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:54 am

did anyone had MC points not post automatically? Yesterday MC did not post automatically for me at s&s.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by mshah
did anyone had MC points not post automatically? Yesterday MC did not post automatically for me at s&s.
my MC didn't post properly both last friday and today. i had to go back to the service desk, where it took them under 30 seconds to manually add them.

looks like someone is using scorched earth tactics at my relatively quiet eastern CT stop and shop (the display was well stocked before this past weekend). it's probably a slickdealer, but if you're reading this, please don't ruin a good thing for the both of us!
Attached Images  
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:46 am

Read post #1163
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:07 pm

Any reason why people are buying MC instead of Visa (other than lack of Visas)?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:19 pm
TPP

Programs: DL, US, AA
Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
Any reason why people are buying MC instead of Visa (other than lack of Visas)?
I buy the US Bank MC because they are easy to convert into MO at my local PO. Apparently the Meta VISA have issues there according to the Wiki in that thread.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:29 pm

I've found that it takes a couple days. I bought a $500 VGC at lunch time and checked my FR account when I got back in my office. The S&S points hit but not any MC points. I expect they'll hit end of the week.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by gw14
Read post #1163
Thanks. That makes sense. I checked the packaging and indeed it was "celebrate".

I've found that it takes a couple days. I bought a $500 VGC at lunch time and checked my FR account when I got back in my office. The S&S points hit but not any MC points. I expect they'll hit end of the week.
It is strange. I was going to ask this question. I just started FR last week. Registered my mc cc and made a transaction yesterday. I see only 15c earning today under MC promotion category within "activity". I am not sure how and when they credit the promotion.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:09 pm

Don't they stack with the combined account? I have routine received 1.75 (or more) when T-Mobile has a .25 code. waiting to see if my linked mastercard adds the bonus for spend at grocery.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
So I was travelling in the Charlottesville, VA area, needed gas, and whipped out my new Fuel Rewards card at a Shell station. This Friday in NoVa, I bought 1500 in gift cards, and earned 3000 Giant gas points. I linked a Mastercard and used that to buy the gift cards.

I was curious what would happen when I swiped my Fuel Rewards card.

Charlottesville is an outlier in the Giant program because they have a Giant Landover store, but it doesn't seem to participate in gas rewards and the Giant gas station finder doesn't list any Shell stations in the area that participate.

Gas was $2.29/gallon and when I swiped my card, the price went down to 1.9 cents gallon. The pump cut off at 20 gallons. I was a happy customer!

I looked tonight at my Giant account and my FR account. I still have all my 3000 Giant gas rewards. It seems like I earned 2250 FR points for using my Mastercard to buy those GCs, and those points are gone from my FR account.

So if I keep buying gift cards at Giant with my linked Mastercard, will I keep earning 15 cents/gallon FR for every $100 I buy through the end of the year? And if I use my FR card at a gas station that participates in Giant gas rewards, will they ever take any points out of my Giant gas rewards account (assuming I "cover" the purchase with my FR balance?

This program seems quite confusing to me, but it certainly seems generous at the moment!
Ok so I officially linked s&s and FR tonight(which I thought I did last week...)

Im gonna test this out when I fill up next week. My numbers are strange and have no idea how this is gonna work. My s&s points show I will get $4 off/gal, and my FR account says $7 off/gal! Anyone know what will happen to the excess “over gallon” rewards. I’m sure this won’t happen, but I’m hoping I wouldn’t lose them because of the lower gas prices...
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:12 pm

Looks like if you have enough S&S points and enough FR points, FR points will be drained first (before S&S points will be tapped) regardless if you use S&S card number or your FR number or phone number (as alt-id).
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:02 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by yoyo
Looks like if you have enough S&S points and enough FR points, FR points will be drained first (before S&S points will be tapped) regardless if you use S&S card number or your FR number or phone number (as alt-id).
Bad news if true, since FR points can have a shelf life of up to 2 months, whereas S&S are 30 days.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:42 am

Giant, week beginning Oct 20: 10X on Domino's and L.L. Bean GCs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.