Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread has posts from 2016 onward; prior posts can be found here.
The thread for 2018 is here.
***If you buy gift cards outside promotions, you will earn ZERO points.***

Giant MD and Stop & Shop's points now stack with Shell's Fuel Rewards. See more here.
If you link a Mastercard to Fuel Rewards, you will earn an additional $0.15/gal for every $100 spent on anything at Giant/S&S with that card through the end of the year.

Accepted tender: Cash, credit, and debit. Also available are mobile/contactless payment (Apple Pay, etc.) and mobile loyalty (card barcode via app).

Summary
Stop & Shop (S&S), Giant Food Stores (Giant PA), and Giant Food (Giant MD) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for a discount on the price paid per gallon on fuel sales at Shell and S&S/Giant fuel stations. $100* spend = 100 pts = 10c/gal discount. The particular rules vary between the three brands, and within Giant PA, the rules vary by location. Refer to the bottom of this wiki post for more information or links to official info from each brand.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

- - - - - - - - - -
Current promotions
Fuel Rewards:
- $0.15/gal for every $100 spent at qualifying supermarkets with a Mastercard through the end of the year
Weekly Ad (advert starting 2017-__-__):
- Stop & Shop:
- Giant MD:
- Giant PA:
- Martin's:
- - - - - - - - - -
Additional Information

• A loyalty card is required to take advantage of gas rewards. They look like the above image and can be obtained either online (links at end of wiki) or in-person (at the customer service counter).

• The cards currently on promotion are listed in the current weekly circular and usually change every week. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank on the back.

• S&S and Giant (DC, DE, MD, and VA) allow you to redeem up to 1500 points ($1.50/gal) per fuel purchase, and points expire 30 days after the qualifying purchase. With Giant PA, there is no limit to the number of points redeemed at one time.

• Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program.

• Your ID may be required when buying gift cards. Your name and other info may also be recorded for purchases over a discretionary dollar value. Whether you're buying a $100 card or a $5k stack, your experience will vary.

• You can view your account online using the link at the bottom of the wiki.

• It's best to purchase gift cards at the customer service counter, but reports state that a single $500 gift card can be paid for at any register without an issue. Purchases over $1k will require manager authorisation with a physical key, which may slow down the queue. You can go to the Solution Center to save time and make things easier for everyone.

• Giant Eagle and Giant Food are different chains with different ownership, and this thread is not relevant to the former.

• If you have more points in your account than are redeemed for a fuel purchase, then the remaining points will stay in your account until their respective expiration date(s). For example, if you have 2500 points and debit the 1500 ($1.50/gal) maximum, you will have 1000 points left. Similar behaviour if gas is ever below $1.50/gal before discount.

• If you don't receive eligible points with your purchase due to system or human error, you can have them retroactively added by customer service (in-store or by phone). Have your receipt and a copy of the advert. It can take up to 24 hours for keyed points to appear in your account.
Official Rewards Pages
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Weekly Circulars
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:00 pm

Also curious to find out if these linked points will work at Shell stations that do not accept S&S points now. I am not sure if I will get to one of those stations before my current S&S points expire but I will report if/when I find out. Or if anyone else finds out, please let us know. Thanks.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:51 pm

FR app seemed to indicate that even participating shell gas stations down in NC now can take combined S&S FR points! I know this is not real world experience but it certainly look good.
Luvs2Sav12 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Luvs2Sav12
I linked my S&S card to my newly created Shell FR card. I just filled up at Shell and only received $1.55 off of a gallon even though on the Shell website, it says I have many more points because all of the S&S points I have. The extra .05 was from signing up for the FR card so it seems like it is using the S&S rules of max of $1.50 and only 20 gallons as well. I am sure if I had other FR points, it would have used those too, but I only had the bonus .05 FR points for signing up.

I also noticed on the Shell pump, there is no longer 2 options to choose from for rewards. The FR & S&S are now together on one option.

At least this is how it worked at the station that I went to.
The 20gal limit on FR exists independently of Giant/S&S. The $1.50 limit from Giant/S&S still exists, but any additional FR discounts should add to that.

If the FR app shows a Giant/S&S discount over $1.50, then that’s most likely a bug from not programming the earnings cap in the count.
Luvs2Sav12 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:06 pm

The combo works and there is no limit anymore. I swiped my FR card and filled 20 gallons at 1.9 cents a gallon for 38 cents total.

The FR site works well showing available discount and when points are expiring.

​​​​​​​win
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat
Cracker Barrell, 5x
Thanks for the response.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:43 am
soy

Programs: various
Linked S&S to FR, but was still capped at 20g @ $1.50.

Used my S&S card at the pump, should I have used the FR card?

Interested to hear if anyone is able to get more than $1.50 with Shell in MA
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:45 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by Car Jack
The combo works and there is no limit anymore. I swiped my FR card and filled 20 gallons at 1.9 cents a gallon for 38 cents total.

The FR site works well showing available discount and when points are expiring.

​​​​​​​win
what was your FR available discount prior to pumping gas (and what was the price of gas)?

my linked FR account is showing that i have a $7.05 discount. am i able to pump free gas, or is the 1.9 cent/gal price some sort of artificial floor?

man, i wish the limit was still 35 gallons....
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by riphamilton
what was your FR available discount prior to pumping gas (and what was the price of gas)?

my linked FR account is showing that i have a $7.05 discount. am i able to pump free gas, or is the 1.9 cent/gal price some sort of artificial floor?

Again, the FR count is incorrect. The pump will only roll back $1.50/gal max of Giant/S&S (in addition to any other FR offers), regardless of what the FR app/website says. This is the case whether you use the FR card or Giant card, as both are now linked and interchangeable as far as the pump is concerned.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by riphamilton

I had $4.50 showing in FR for discount and $3.70 showing at S&S. I filled at the shell in the center of Westborough, MA. Again, 20 gallons cost me 38 cents.

I used my FR card at the pump......not my S&S card. Perhaps that matters.

Gas price was $2.699 a gallon

The FR site does have wording in the T's and C's (yah, I actually read it) near the end that shows how there can be a floor as high as (I believe) 10.9 cents a gallon. I'll take that!
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:49 am

floor is 1.9 cent per gallon at shell and 0 cent per gallon at S&S.

The cap is gone from my S&S.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by yoyo
floor is 1.9 cent per gallon at shell and 0 cent per gallon at S&S.

The cap is gone from my S&S.
Which card did you swipe SS or FR?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by FrankMS
Which card did you swipe SS or FR?
Did not swipe. Just entered my S&S number.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:10 am
soy

Programs: various
For those that have linked S&S and FR accounts, how do you know they are linked?
I do not see anything on either site to suggest the other card is linked.

Also did you link via the S&S site, or was there a way to do it via the FR site. For me the only loyalty cards I see for linking on FR site are IHG, Advance Auto and some other card. No sign of S&S, or even Giant
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
my experience, just now (typing at the pump):

brand new shell station (with seasons convenience store) on route 1 south in westwood (perhaps the newness of the pump POS is a variable; this was the large color screen that plays GSTV while you're pumping). my fuel rewards discount was showing $7.05. i manually entered my fuel rewards phone number, and got $1.55 off. i then entered my stop and shop number, and only got $1.50 off.

so perhaps a minor takeaway, at least for the new pumps, is to use your FR number for the extra 5 cents.

Last edited by riphamilton; Sep 22, 2017 at 10:33 am Reason: More specificity to the POS description
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat
Cracker Barrell, 5x
Does MC GC still work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.