Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread has posts from 2016 onward; prior posts can be found here.
The thread for 2018 is here.
***If you buy gift cards outside promotions, you will earn ZERO points.***

Giant MD and Stop & Shop's points now stack with Shell's Fuel Rewards. See more here.
If you link a Mastercard to Fuel Rewards, you will earn an additional $0.15/gal for every $100 spent on anything at Giant/S&S with that card through the end of the year.

Accepted tender: Cash, credit, and debit. Also available are mobile/contactless payment (Apple Pay, etc.) and mobile loyalty (card barcode via app).

Summary
Stop & Shop (S&S), Giant Food Stores (Giant PA), and Giant Food (Giant MD) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for a discount on the price paid per gallon on fuel sales at Shell and S&S/Giant fuel stations. $100* spend = 100 pts = 10c/gal discount. The particular rules vary between the three brands, and within Giant PA, the rules vary by location. Refer to the bottom of this wiki post for more information or links to official info from each brand.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

- - - - - - - - - -
Current promotions
Fuel Rewards:
- $0.15/gal for every $100 spent at qualifying supermarkets with a Mastercard through the end of the year
Weekly Ad (advert starting 2017-__-__):
- Stop & Shop:
- Giant MD:
- Giant PA:
- Martin's:
- - - - - - - - - -
Additional Information

• A loyalty card is required to take advantage of gas rewards. They look like the above image and can be obtained either online (links at end of wiki) or in-person (at the customer service counter).

• The cards currently on promotion are listed in the current weekly circular and usually change every week. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank on the back.

• S&S and Giant (DC, DE, MD, and VA) allow you to redeem up to 1500 points ($1.50/gal) per fuel purchase, and points expire 30 days after the qualifying purchase. With Giant PA, there is no limit to the number of points redeemed at one time.

• Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program.

• Your ID may be required when buying gift cards. Your name and other info may also be recorded for purchases over a discretionary dollar value. Whether you're buying a $100 card or a $5k stack, your experience will vary.

• You can view your account online using the link at the bottom of the wiki.

• It's best to purchase gift cards at the customer service counter, but reports state that a single $500 gift card can be paid for at any register without an issue. Purchases over $1k will require manager authorisation with a physical key, which may slow down the queue. You can go to the Solution Center to save time and make things easier for everyone.

• Giant Eagle and Giant Food are different chains with different ownership, and this thread is not relevant to the former.

• If you have more points in your account than are redeemed for a fuel purchase, then the remaining points will stay in your account until their respective expiration date(s). For example, if you have 2500 points and debit the 1500 ($1.50/gal) maximum, you will have 1000 points left. Similar behaviour if gas is ever below $1.50/gal before discount.

• If you don't receive eligible points with your purchase due to system or human error, you can have them retroactively added by customer service (in-store or by phone). Have your receipt and a copy of the advert. It can take up to 24 hours for keyed points to appear in your account.
Official Rewards Pages
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Weekly Circulars
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2017, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by redarmy
Giant has hard-coded ReloadIt packs for cash only. SMH.
Curious what Prepaid Cards are left that you are able to successfully transfer money from your ReloadIt Safe to?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 3:54 pm

4x MC GC & 6% BCP good combo glad to see
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:21 am

Giant Landover, week of 9/8-14:
10X gas points on Sears GCs
Old Sep 9, 2017, 8:40 pm

Has anyone noticed that their gas points aren't working in as many stations as before?

Background: I earn my points at Giants in VA and MD. Usually, I can use my gas points in NJ at Shell stations in 'Stop and Shop' territory. Unfortunately, this time, while I've been able to use my points in VA/MD, I have not been able to use them at stations in S&S land.

Has anyone else experienced this? I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed, but I'm far behind on my flyertalk forum required reading.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Amex 2X

I guess S&S is tightening up. Just a few weeks ago Amex GC was 5X gas points, this week it's only 2. With gas prices as high as they are it's probably worth it but these Amex GCs are a PIA.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:18 pm

Giant have a new Fuel Rewards offer - 15c/gal for every $100 you spend at Giant with a Mastercard.

Copy-pasted below from the Fuel Rewards app:

Add more rewards to
your grocery list.

Earn 15¢/gal for every $100 you spendwith a linked Mastercard® at Giant.

Here's how it works:
  • Link a Mastercard credit, debit or prepaid card to your Fuel Rewards account.
  • Use your linked Mastercard when shopping at Giant.
    • Select “Credit” when checking out.
  • Earn 15¢/gal for every $100 you spend with a linked Mastercard.
  • Rewards will be added to your account in 5–7business days.
find a store
link a Mastercard
Terms & conditions apply. Offer expires 12/31/17.

Mastercard is a registered trademark, and the circles design is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never bothered with Fuel Rewards (something I planned to do, but didn't get around to). Does this mean that I could sign up, use the enrolled MC to buy any gift card at Giant (like, say, a $500 visa), and get 15 cents free gas for each $100 I spend? And could I do this unlimited times until the end of December? What's the maximum discount at the pump with Fuel Rewards?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:38 am

Re: the Mastercard promo -- Here are the rather extensive T&Cs: https://www.fuelrewards.com/fuelrewa...ms.html#lto-mc

Two points:

+ Mastercard reserves the right to determine which purchases qualify for the Offer.

+ You can earn up to a maximum of $125/gal in savings for the Mastercard 15¢ Grocer Bonus.

There's also some confusing/contradictory language elsewhere in the T&C.

FWIW -- I'd already planned on buying small qty of Amex cards. I'm going to link a MC on the FR site, use it for the purchase and see what happens. Seems like it may take 5-7 days for the bonus to post.

ETA Update: When I added the MC to FR, I got an email from United MileagePlus Dining, with which I had previously registered the MC. It basically says that card can't be registered under both program, and that the MP Dining link would be removed.

"You recently registered a credit or debit card — which had been registered with MileagePlus DiningSM — with another dining program administered by Rewards Network®.

"Credit and debit cards can only be registered in one dining program run by Rewards Network at a time. As a result, you will no longer earn rewards through MileagePlus Dining when you dine and pay with this card. Instead, you will earn rewards through the program you moved the card to."

Last edited by tuphat; Sep 15, 2017 at 10:08 am
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:15 pm

Just an FYI: Apple Pay purchases don't work with Fuel Rewards (or any other rewards program based off Rewards Network).
Old Sep 16, 2017, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
Just an FYI: Apple Pay purchases don't work with Fuel Rewards (or any other rewards program based off Rewards Network).
When you use Apple Pay it's internally a different credit card number than your regular card, FYI.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
When you use Apple Pay it's internally a different credit card number than your regular card, FYI.
Oh, I know. But there are some programs that do pick up Apple Pay transactions (like Microsoft Earn...RIP). It requires some agreement between the card companies and the rewards network that powers the program.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by thebat
I guess S&S is tightening up. Just a few weeks ago Amex GC was 5X gas points, this week it's only 2. With gas prices as high as they are it's probably worth it but these Amex GCs are a PIA.
I don't think there is any pattern to the multiplier. After all, they just had 5x on Mastercard and before that was 3x on Visa.

Also looks like Stop & Shop is now linked with Shell Fuel Rewards like Giant-MD and also has the 15 cents per $100 spend with Fuel rewards on linked Mastercards. Still no data points on if GC purchases will count, but if they do, all will be minimum 1.5x until the end of the year. A bit more work outside of promos, but I believe Fuel Rewards doesn't cap at $1.50
Old Sep 17, 2017, 7:41 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Bigzamboni
I don't think there is any pattern to the multiplier. After all, they just had 5x on Mastercard and before that was 3x on Visa.

Also looks like Stop & Shop is now linked with Shell Fuel Rewards like Giant-MD and also has the 15 cents per $100 spend with Fuel rewards on linked Mastercards. Still no data points on if GC purchases will count, but if they do, all will be minimum 1.5x until the end of the year. A bit more work outside of promos, but I believe Fuel Rewards doesn't cap at $1.50

https://www.fuelrewards.com/fuelrewards/stop-and-shop has more details. I just signed up for FR, but will have to wait for them to sens me a card/number before I can try to link to S&S.

Last edited by soy; Sep 17, 2017 at 7:49 pm
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by soy
https://www.fuelrewards.com/fuelrewards/stop-and-shop has more details. I just signed up for FR, but will have to wait for them to sens me a card/number before I can try to link to S&S.
You should at least be able to use a virtual card immediately. You can also register your phone number if you visit the site on a desktop.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:06 am
soy

Programs: various
The online coupon for $10 off shopping with a +$100 MasterCard is back again at S&S this week

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.