Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread has posts from 2016 onward; prior posts can be found here.
The thread for 2018 is here.
***If you buy gift cards outside promotions, you will earn ZERO points.***

Giant MD and Stop & Shop's points now stack with Shell's Fuel Rewards. See more here.
If you link a Mastercard to Fuel Rewards, you will earn an additional $0.15/gal for every $100 spent on anything at Giant/S&S with that card through the end of the year.

Accepted tender: Cash, credit, and debit. Also available are mobile/contactless payment (Apple Pay, etc.) and mobile loyalty (card barcode via app).

Summary
Stop & Shop (S&S), Giant Food Stores (Giant PA), and Giant Food (Giant MD) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for a discount on the price paid per gallon on fuel sales at Shell and S&S/Giant fuel stations. $100* spend = 100 pts = 10c/gal discount. The particular rules vary between the three brands, and within Giant PA, the rules vary by location. Refer to the bottom of this wiki post for more information or links to official info from each brand.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

- - - - - - - - - -
Current promotions
Fuel Rewards:
- $0.15/gal for every $100 spent at qualifying supermarkets with a Mastercard through the end of the year
Weekly Ad (advert starting 2017-__-__):
- Stop & Shop:
- Giant MD:
- Giant PA:
- Martin's:
- - - - - - - - - -
Additional Information

• A loyalty card is required to take advantage of gas rewards. They look like the above image and can be obtained either online (links at end of wiki) or in-person (at the customer service counter).

• The cards currently on promotion are listed in the current weekly circular and usually change every week. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank on the back.

• S&S and Giant (DC, DE, MD, and VA) allow you to redeem up to 1500 points ($1.50/gal) per fuel purchase, and points expire 30 days after the qualifying purchase. With Giant PA, there is no limit to the number of points redeemed at one time.

• Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program.

• Your ID may be required when buying gift cards. Your name and other info may also be recorded for purchases over a discretionary dollar value. Whether you're buying a $100 card or a $5k stack, your experience will vary.

• You can view your account online using the link at the bottom of the wiki.

• It's best to purchase gift cards at the customer service counter, but reports state that a single $500 gift card can be paid for at any register without an issue. Purchases over $1k will require manager authorisation with a physical key, which may slow down the queue. You can go to the Solution Center to save time and make things easier for everyone.

• Giant Eagle and Giant Food are different chains with different ownership, and this thread is not relevant to the former.

• If you have more points in your account than are redeemed for a fuel purchase, then the remaining points will stay in your account until their respective expiration date(s). For example, if you have 2500 points and debit the 1500 ($1.50/gal) maximum, you will have 1000 points left. Similar behaviour if gas is ever below $1.50/gal before discount.

• If you don't receive eligible points with your purchase due to system or human error, you can have them retroactively added by customer service (in-store or by phone). Have your receipt and a copy of the advert. It can take up to 24 hours for keyed points to appear in your account.
Official Rewards Pages
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Weekly Circulars
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:12 am

VGC/MC cards 2x points starting 12/1

Cheers,

PedroNY
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by craz
I stick to 1 GC per CC every couple of days., since a few years ago my CC was Declined and the fraud dept couldnt understand a person spending $1k at 1 time on groceries, or $500+ at a gas station. I explained to them why it was a 1 off (it was my 1st purchase of GCs using that CC) and it was let thru

Im sure there are folks who charge tons of GCs everyday,Im not comfortable with that at least a supermkt among other locations, I also do a couple of other things 1 being use more then 1 CC per visit so Im not getting only 1 GC at a time. Each person should do what they are comfortable with and feel they can explain away if the fraud dept looks into it. Now if till now I charged crazy #s on the CC every month non MSing that would allow alot more MSing to be done, but if a CC has been used for low amounts in purchases or is brand new, Id rather take it slow and sure then to be shut down

"Now if till now I charged crazy #s on the CC every month non MSing that would allow alot more MSing to be done"

I think this holds true not per card, but per portfolio. Over my 7 amex cards, I use 3 of them exclusively for "bonus categories" like 0 other charges. I'm only buying vgc on 1 of those three (not exclusively), the 3/ of 7 probably make up more than half of my spend, but its probably close to 50-60%. I will report back if barclays treats this differently.

I was a newbie during the OBC unlimited days. That my friend, was indeed a golden goose. RIP.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
i bought the “gift box” mastercard this afternoon and my points did not automatically post. in the prior promo, the gift box posted automatically, while the “celebration” one did not.

just a heads up to those buying MC to check your receipt.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 3:27 pm

At Giant, I bought 3 kinds of MB Visa: black, kayak and base/football. Points posted properly (PPP) for all 3.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 3:46 pm

Gas

I bought 10@500. I only got 3000 pts. Black Visa. Any others have issues? Will go back later to correct. I assume they will fix
Old Dec 1, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
I bought 10@500. I only got 3000 pts. Black Visa. Any others have issues? Will go back later to correct. I assume they will fix
did you do a split payment or all on one card? I usually do a split payment with no problems, but earlier today for the first time, points only posted from the first payment of $1500 instead of the entire $5k amount. I had a manager add the points that were missing, and thanked them profusely.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:04 pm

Yes, I put 1400 on the first card. Interesting. Thanks
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:08 pm

Delete

Last edited by zeppoloveskafka; Dec 1, 2017 at 8:09 pm Reason: ...,. Delete
Old Dec 2, 2017, 4:47 am

Try and get into the habit of checking points on your receipt immediately. It's much easier to fix a problem right there on the spot.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by FrankMS
Try and get into the habit of checking points on your receipt immediately. It's much easier to fix a problem right there on the spot.
I always check. Didn't have time to deal with and sometimes they say to wait 48 hours. Wasn't a friendly cashier either. But with her taking 10 minutes to record info I was late. Thanks
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:14 am

Yes same thing just a different number of points. I actually made stops at 2 Stop and Shops yesterday and bought 10 black visa's at both of them. The first one gave me 2000 points and they fixed it immediately and the 2nd one gave me 4000 points and fixed it immediately.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Luvs2Sav12
Yes same thing just a different number of points. I actually made stops at 2 Stop and Shops yesterday and bought 10 black visa's at both of them. The first one gave me 2000 points and they fixed it immediately and the 2nd one gave me 4000 points and fixed it immediately.
This morning I purchased 10 on one card. At first on the receipt it shows 7000 points added, but later on it shows the 10K. I have some 5% spend I can put on my wells fargo card...anybody have issues putting 5K on that at once these days.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: Lots
I thought I knew what the issue was, split payments, but I think there’s an issue with Giant’s system. I just bought a single black visa to test a new card, and the points didn’t show. Had the CSR add the points. Then a guy with a stack of black visas came to the desk to say none of his points showed.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Hilton, Choice, Wyndham
Yep, today, the guy in front of me bought a $500 black visa. No points posted. He had the CSR manually credit. I asked the CSR what kind to buy. He suggested the balloon kind. Got 10 of those. Credited just fine.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:56 pm

Got two Visa Kevlar GCs yesterday, 2k pts posted as expected. Today I got two more Kevlars at a different store and only 1k points had posted - CSR had to manually add another 1k pts. What I did notice is that today I got two different Kevlars, on the receipt one is listed as "VISA KEVLAR VAR" and the other one is "KEVLAR VAR". Two cards from yesterday were listed as "VISA KEVLAR VAR".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.