Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2015, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: financialhippie
Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase)
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
BofA - Amtrak World MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard

Successful Payees:
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check)
Citi Mortgage: Processed 10/7, Sent 10/8, Arrived-Posted 10/15
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16
Print Wikipost

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Virgin America Elevate Gold
I used it to pay my mortgage last month in order to meet my spend requirement on the AA Executive card. Of course this was before the 1.99% deal. I doubt I'll use it again unless some similar situation arises. Payment went smoothly and only took 3 or 4 days to post.

I did get a follow up email asking me where I found about it and I mentioned FT
Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:09 pm

Like anything, run the numbers and figure out if it makes sense for you.

1.99% fee means you need to get more than 1.99 cents for every dollar spent on your credit card to make this worthwhile.

I just redeemed some points at over 6.00 cents/mile. In that case, this makes sense to spend 1.99 cents/mile.

Obviously, if your credit card reward is just 1.5% cash back then this is a losing idea as you'd net -0.49 cents for every dollar spent.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:32 pm

what?

buying a giftcard has a fee, portal gives you cash back to cover that fee... so you're even and you've earned points.

now you take that giftcard and pay pastiq fee of 2%. you essentially just bought your points/MR/whatever for 2cents each, which is a horrible proposition and exactly what my analysis states above. you'd be hard pressed without any bonus multipliers to extract much more than 2 cents out of those miles to begin with.

i guess all of the above is beyond an idiotic process of actually buying a giftcard in the first place since you can just pay directly with your amex and save yourself the wait time of the giftcards in the first place...

what am i not seeing here?

Originally Posted by pointsaway
I think you're forgetting that every dollar of spend earns points. If you can buy Amex gift cards for roughly 2% off after fees through a portal, then you do indeed "break even" paying the 2% fee to Plastiq. That said, don't forget the points you earn purchasing the Amex gift cards in the first place! So, you come out with no real fees paid and a sizable number of points earned on spending that otherwise is difficult to put on credit cards, like mortgage/rent and utility payments.

Last edited by Iridium7777; Aug 5, 2015 at 12:39 pm
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Iridium7777
what?

buying a giftcard has a fee, portal gives you cash back to cover that fee... so you're even and you've earned points.

now you take that giftcard and pay pastiq fee of 2%. you essentially just bought your points/MR/whatever for 2cents each, which is a horrible proposition and exactly what my analysis states above. you'd be hard pressed without any bonus multipliers to extract much more than 2 cents out of those miles to begin with.

i guess all of the above is beyond an idiotic process of actually buying a giftcard in the first place since you can just pay directly with your amex and save yourself the wait time of the giftcards in the first place...

We all agree with you on the "WHAT" part. But that's it.

Buy a $2,000 Amex gift card. The fee is $3.95. The portal can give as much as 2.25% recently - that's $45. Subtract the fee, and you are ahead $41.05 - more than 2%, and more than the 1.99% fee. Call it even anyway, AFTER the Plastiq fee. Not before.

So you are even on the Amex and Plastiq part. You still have the rewards from the credit card purchase of the Amex gift card.

Does that explain it?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
i'm sorry what is the point of that? is this geared for people with 500 credit score/1K spending limits too build up credit or something?

if i'm not making money/travel perks on it why just 'churn' my spend?
Maybe you should read the first topic New to manufactured spending...
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
what?

Do you even read what people write?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:38 am

How long after mortgage payment is submitted is my credit card actually charged? I want to meet minimum spend on AA Exec within the next 4-6 days.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 6:13 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
No further comment required.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
How long after mortgage payment is submitted is my credit card actually charged? I want to meet minimum spend on AA Exec within the next 4-6 days.
I did a test payment for my mortgage payment and it's pending on my CSP, so I assume it'll post within the next day or two, but I'm not 100% sure.

I'm not thrilled that the payments aren't sent electronically but its easy spend.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
We all agree with you on the "WHAT" part. But that's it.

Buy a $2,000 Amex gift card. The fee is $3.95. The portal can give as much as 2.25% recently - that's $45. Subtract the fee, and you are ahead $41.05 - more than 2%, and more than the 1.99% fee. Call it even anyway, AFTER the Plastiq fee. Not before.

So you are even on the Amex and Plastiq part. You still have the rewards from the credit card purchase of the Amex gift card.

Does that explain it?
yes, that does explain it. i was ignorant and did not know that you could buy >$500 cards; i'm also not fully sure how you're not including 9$ for shipping but i'm assuming there' some stack able coupon you're using.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yes, that does explain it. i was ignorant and did not know that you could buy >$500 cards; i'm also not fully sure how you're not including 9$ for shipping but i'm assuming there' some stack able coupon you're using.
Pay $99 for a year of shipping, if you are a frequent user. At times, this has been available for free.

You really should read the Amex Gift Card thread. It's long, but there's a lot to learn:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1649136
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:39 pm

$8.95 for shipping per order.

Obviously to reduce the costs, order as many as possible in 1 order.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:36 pm
Suspended

Hmm.. This looks VERY promising. I can make roughly 2% and I don't even need to leave my house.. Saves me the BS of dealing with People/Employees of Walmart, the overzealous ....... managers at a CERTAIN grocery chain, and most importantly my time and dignity..
Old Aug 7, 2015, 6:29 am

Thank you OP!

This looks very promising for tuition and college rent payments using Amex gift cards. I am setting up some test payments and will report back with results.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Datapoint: Initiated payment on 8/5. Charge posted on CSP next day, 8/6.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.