Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Am I totally screwed out of $1400 by H&R ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I totally screwed out of $1400 by H&R ?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2015, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by travelfreaks
Good luck and hope it works out for you.
This is why I have every GC, GC receipt, and MO receipt that I have ever bought/liquidated for MS. I have many boxes full of them in the back of a closet...just in case.
Me too. I keep everything. Someday I will let my son build a castle or something with it.
Old May 14, 2015, 10:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Zgirl
At the small claims you pay a one time fee, I think it's about $40. Not much to lose, and a lot ($1400) to win. Time and effort? It takes just one visit to file and one visit to see the judge. I have sued Chase and won and would go the same route if I had to.
But, remember that OP needs discovery here. That is expensive. In the US, the costs are carried by each party. So, the party from whom you subpoena documents gets its research and copying costs. The former can be fairly substantial. So, just be careful that it's worth it.
Old May 14, 2015, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Often1
But, remember that OP needs discovery here. That is expensive. In the US, the costs are carried by each party. So, the party from whom you subpoena documents gets its research and copying costs. The former can be fairly substantial. So, just be careful that it's worth it.
Discovery is not a procedure available in small claims court.
Old May 14, 2015, 10:54 am

Lessons learned:
1) Hold onto the physical cards until you are completely cashed out / won't need them.

2) Keep receipts just in case a physical card is lost / stolen.

Now for the OP... he should tell H&R Block that the refunds the way they did it were not authorized and that he wants them to send payment via check.
Old May 14, 2015, 11:38 am

Folks, when you get a refund at the store you get a receipt with at least some of the digits. Like prasha said, HRB does have that "receipt". OP, ask HRB for that.
Old May 14, 2015, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Lappie
What about a chargeback @ Chase. Ultimately, you didnt get the $$ and if a chargeback is successful, it will wash out for everyone in the end.
I doubt this will solve problems like this; but it'll make it harder for everyone to buy GCs with CCs if more customers do chargebacks.

While OP didn't get his $$ back, Staples has nothing to do with it because OP took the risk of loading VGCs to HRB inspite of warnings in the thread. In other words, he gambled voluntarily, why should Staples pay for the loss?
Old May 14, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Go to Staples to see if they can re-print your receipt, you know the date, the amount and you hold your Chase Ink CC, they can find it with your CC number.
Old May 14, 2015, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I doubt this will solve problems like this; but it'll make it harder for everyone to buy GCs with CCs if more customers do chargebacks.

While OP didn't get his $$ back, Staples has nothing to do with it because OP took the risk of loading VGCs to HRB inspite of warnings in the thread. In other words, he gambled voluntarily, why should Staples pay for the loss?
You are scared, you have fear and so much negativity to finding ways for the OP to recover his loss.
Its time to start the contribution positively, ways OP can recover his 1.4 k because tomorrow you may be in his shoes if u continue MSing....
Old May 14, 2015, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
The more he pays more he gets back as cost in the judgement, so it will be awash (in this case), however if they have to bring those documents to the court, discovery may not be necessary.
Old May 14, 2015, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by prasha11
You are scared, you have fear and so much negativity to finding ways for the OP to recover his loss.
Its time to start the contribution positively, ways OP can recover his 1.4 k because tomorrow you may be in his shoes if u continue MSing....
This has nothing to do with being scared, it's about being fair. Why would a company suffer a loss in cases of one's negligence. Let's say one bought GCs and they lost it, is it fair to just do a chargeback because of one's negligence? I'm not saying OP was negligent but he was well aware of risks of shutdown in the HRB thread since he posted there before this happened. Therefore, let's call it as it is.

If you think it's okay to pass fault to a company even if it's clearly not their fault, then hopefully, it doesn't backfire on your later.
Old May 14, 2015, 3:08 pm

LOL you are funny. I have been in OPs shoes and lost an amount a bit less than him and like him it was because of my own stupidity. I am still in the process of trying to recover the money but I am not going to do chargebacks against innocent parties, as Staples in this case delivered a valid product.

This problem is totally of OPs making just like my mistake was totally mine. I am not suggesting he doesn't try to get the money back but I don't see where HRB, Staples or the gift card issuer did anything wrong here. It was OPs mistake. The angle about trying to recover the cards numbers or getting a duplicate receipt and seeing if he can get the issuer to reissue the cards is a good one.

BTW this is why I keep everything going back years.
Old May 14, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Sometimes the lack of ethics here surprises me. I guess I should stop being surprised. Staples did nothing wrong. They fulfilled their side of the transaction with OP. It would be wrong to file a chargeback against Staples.

But ethics aside, encouraging someone to file a chargeback against Staples in this situation is only going to hurt the MS community. That kind of behavior will drive up costs of selling GC and ultimately lead to more difficulty in purchasing GC (like no credit cards allowed). I'm sorry for OP, and by all means OP should pursue any legitimate means to recover your $1400. But suck it up and don't ruin it for the rest of us who didn't make a dumb mistake.
Old May 14, 2015, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the comments and good suggestions guys. No I am not going to try to get money back from Chase or Staples as they don't have my money and they did nothing wrong here. So that option is out.

Basically the money is with the card issuers and if I can just get the card numbers from H&R(which they obviously have) then the card issuers have confirmed they can reissue the GC`s. H&R block said they will call me in 48 hours so just waiting for their call.

I will update you guys as this moves along. I hope I don't have to go to court for anything but if I have to I will. I have done small claims court thing before(when I sued my landlord for keeping the entire deposit) and won't mind doing it again.
Old May 14, 2015, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Regarding getting the receipts from Staples, will the receipts help with getting the VGC`s reissued ? AFAIK there is no card info besides the last 4 digits on the receipt. I already can get the last 4 digits from H&R as the CSR can see this info on my account on her side but the last 4 are useless as per the GC issuer.
Old May 14, 2015, 4:05 pm

It's refreshing to know that there are others who are fair instead of just looking out for their own interest mindless of how it'll affect others.

OP, I have a receipt of VGCs I purchased from Staples for the $20 MIR. This is what the entry looks like:

QTY SKU PRICE
1 $200 VISA GIFT
076750095160 200.00N
S/N#: 951xxxx (30 digit code)
1 $6.95 VISA GIFT CA
xxxxxx 6.95N

I'm not too sure if the S/N # would be enough for card issuer to trace the cards you bought. You can try pressuring HRB to give you the VGC numbers where they said they put back the funds. See what they say first before you contact CFPB to find out from them what your options are in case HRB refuses to cooperate with your reasonable request. Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.