Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Am I totally screwed out of $1400 by H&R ?

Old May 13, 15, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

I bought 7x$200 VGC`s at staples with my Chase Ink and used them to load H&R emerald card. They shut my account down after 7 $200 loads and said they will refund.

I didn't think much of it. But after two weeks I called them today to check status and they said they refunded 200$ to the 7 cards.

Problem is I threw away the debit cards and the receipts along with them

I called H&R and they said they will escalate the case but she said since money is already refunded most likely they can't do much.

Am I totally screwed ???
Old May 13, 15, 8:35 pm

You should be fine. Press them for the card #s. Somewhere in there, they have the card #s you loaded and they refunded. You just gotta escalate until they give those to you. Once you have the cards #s, you could:

1. call the VGC company to send you replacements
2. load them somewhere else
3. spend them online
Old May 13, 15, 8:35 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by happyharrys View Post
I bought 7x$200 VGC`s at staples with my Chase Ink and used them to load H&R emerald card. They shut my account down after 7 $200 loads and said they will refund.

I didn't think much of it. But after two weeks I called them today to check status and they said they refunded 200$ to the 7 cards.

Problem is I threw away the debit cards and the receipts along with them

I called H&R and they said they will escalate the case but she said since money is already refunded most likely they can't do much.

Am I totally screwed ???
You will be if you dont find those cards..
Old May 13, 15, 8:39 pm

" Am I totally screwed out of $1400 by H&R ?"

No, H&R did nothing wrong.
Old May 13, 15, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Membersince2013 View Post
You will be if you dont find those cards..
The cards are in landfill.

Even if i get card numbers I can't get the 3 digit pins so can't cash them out. But I could probably call the issuing company to reissue them. But it will be uphill task to get h&r to give those card numbers.
Old May 13, 15, 8:41 pm

Hopefully, you find a rep willing to help you retrieve the DC numbers they were refunded to. Or else, you're SOL

by sharing your experience, I hope others learn from it to keep the cards (and packaging if possible) plus store receipts for at least 90 days. A year would be ideal in case one has problems with LEO questioning their activities. thanks for making us aware problems like this are possible.
Old May 13, 15, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stoughton View Post
" Am I totally screwed out of $1400 by H&R ?"

No, H&R did nothing wrong.
OK fine h&r did nothing wrong but how do I get out of this. Please do not write smart ... comments unless you have something useful to say.
Old May 13, 15, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
This is why you always save your cards at least until your payment onto your CC (final step after purchase, liquidation, payment) has settled.
Old May 13, 15, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

I will definitely share my experience with anyone who is willing to listen but let's see if I can get out of this rut.
Old May 13, 15, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Thinking about it the vgc's are not registered anywhere with visa so when I get the number how do I convince visa that it's me those cards belong to ?
Old May 13, 15, 8:50 pm

If in case you retrieve the card number and exp date, this may be enough to make online purchases. One thing though, if you call vanillavisa CS, they may ask for the CVV in case you want to register your cards, that might be your stumbling block. I know you have to register cards for online purchases and if you are able to do that, you can buy items and other GCs you want so it's not a total loss.
Old May 13, 15, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by happyharrys View Post
OK fine h&r did nothing wrong but how do I get out of this. Please do not write smart ... comments unless you have something useful to say.
Ok, here's useful idea - maybe find a different hobby. If, after being a member here for a year, you still didn't know to save your cards until you were fully cashed out then this probably isn't something you should be endgaged in. The Emerald card thread has reports of shutdowns going back at least 2 months, if not longer, and if that alone didn't give you reason to be more cautious and prepared for refunds back to the gift cards, nothing will.

You're out $1,400. Life goes on.
Old May 13, 15, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

I get more than 3-4k in benefit in each of my App-o-rama so NO the $1400 loss would not stop me from doing this. It will be a painful costly lesson learnt though.

But I haven't given up hope yet. I talked to the debit card guys and they said as long as I can get the 16 digit card numbers they will reissue the cards. I don't need the 3 digit pin.

So my hope is h&r will disclose the card numbers to me.
Old May 13, 15, 9:51 pm

hindsight is 20/20 so for those who'd rather not keep the cards/packaging/receipts, it's a good idea to take pictures of them (individual cards and corresponding receipts) OR do a scan and file them accordingly.

Pics/scan will come in handy when problems like OP's happen. One will not be at the mercy of CSRs who may/may not cooperate or simply can't do nothing to help us.
Old May 13, 15, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mamibear View Post
hindsight is 20/20 so for those who'd rather not keep the cards/packaging/receipts, it's a good idea to take pictures of them (individual cards and corresponding receipts) OR do a scan and file them accordingly.

Pics/scan will come in handy when problems like OP's happen. One will not be at the mercy of CSRs who may/may not cooperate or simply can't do nothing to help us.
True that !

Good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: