Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The MS life...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:40 pm

You know the difference between a gift card and a prepaid card.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pointchaser93
Let's kick it off...

You know your an MSer when ...
you strategize with spouse, which relative you can cajole to sign up for Serve, so you can get just ONE more card to cycle money through.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:27 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by skitch23
I think the vast majority of us on here treat MS as a second job rather than a hobby, so with that said I guess we can consider ourselves "coworkers"...
No... I consider you 'competition'...

And I'm not 'revealing secrets here' since the info is very much dated: When you walk into a CVS and there is not a single VR available, in fact, you see 5 empty racks with a bar code to inform the employees to order more, and when they 'finally' restock there's a 'limit' on how many you can buy... yeah... you're all competition. And... unless you're buying me a drink... you must be 'destroyed'... sorry...

And you all must seriously be destroyed, regardless of said drink, when Office Max has a promotion...

'oops! did I say that?'
Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:42 am

Programs: Who knows anymore. It's a f---ing pandemic.
When you're trying to decide whether to tell your husband that you just used his SSN to register a RedCard.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by rstlsgirl
When you're trying to decide whether to tell your husband that you just used his SSN to register a RedCard.
Hahaha.... I got my stepdad a BB card a while ago (with my mom's permission) and last year for SBS I gave it to him so he could use it to buy food/gc's. He asked why it had his name on it so I told him he was an AU on my acct. The less he knows, the better
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: UA PLAT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
.... when you read, and then post on, threads like this.

I disagree also, this is ONLY a hobby. If it's your job..... yikes. Talk about job insecurity, and what about applying somewhere if things really go south?

"Please list your previous employer and one work related reference". LOL.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate, Amex, Delta, AA, BA Avios, United, US Airways, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by skitch23
= So to the poor kid that was desperately trying to get my attention in the Walmart parking lot tonite while I pretended to be deaf: I'm sorry. You probably just needed to use my phone or ask for a couple bucks so you could get home, and I just ignored you. But I have to assume you are a thief and/or a murderer when I have 4-5 figures worth of untraceable funds on me. I hope you understand... I also hope someone nicer than me was able to help you out
A guy in my town got mugged with 5k in gift cards and money orders. Made me think instantly of MSing. But then realized he was a legit criminal lol.

Honestly have to be really careful.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:53 am

.... when you travel for work and you map out locations for your ms activities.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by trubador
.... when you travel for work and you map out locations for your ms activities.
YES! and after work all your colleagues ask where you disappear to between EOD and the bar...
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: Several dozen
MS is not a hobby, it is a religion. While false prophets ask their congregation for money to fly on a new G6, the true believers know that the birds of the air need not sow, nor reap, nor gather into barns for free flight is given to them.

But should any bird need to sow, perhaps to render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, a resume could list work in gaming systems. Caesar's in Las Vegas is always looking for birds familiar with gaming.

Originally Posted by ThereYaGo
....I disagree also, this is ONLY a hobby. If it's your job..... yikes. Talk about job insecurity, and what about applying somewhere if things really go south?...LOL.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by pstravels
A guy in my town got mugged with 5k in gift cards and money orders. Made me think instantly of MSing. But then realized he was a legit criminal lol.

1) Always write out name on MO and tear off receipt stub immediately upon receipt and put in different location than MO on body.
2) Keep GCs in different pocket than wallet. I'd gladly give up my wallet over my GCs!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:06 pm

Programs: Several dozen
3) Save all receipts, used gift cards and MO receipt stubs.
4) Manage your credit cards and your credit score.

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
1) Always write out name on MO and tear off receipt stub immediately upon receipt and put in different location than MO on body.
2) Keep GCs in different pocket than wallet. I'd gladly give up my wallet over my GCs!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by pstravels

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
While I do agree with the obvious advice of being careful, I've come to realize that unless someone was watching me buy a bunch of GC's or sees me get a bunch of cash at an ATM and follows me, people have no idea what I have on me. We could walk down the street and pick out any random people and you wouldn't know which one has $5 total on him and which one has $5k in cash and/or GCs.

I used to be a poker room regular and would sometimes walk out with several thousand in cash on me. Other times I would walk out broke after a bad session. I realized that I look exactly the same both times and nobody knows what I am carrying. I pretty much have the same risk of getting robbed as any random person on the street. The only difference is I would be paranoid because I knew how much I had on me. Nobody else knows if the plastic in my wallet is loaded GC's or regular CC's.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: AA is all for now.
You know you're an MSer when you open your purse in the cafeteria at work to find a card to pay for lunch with and dozens of credit cards/debit cards/prepaid cards/gift cards fall on the floor and scatter everywhere.

The group of people who saw were so busy staring nobody even tried to help me pick them up.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: AA is all for now.
You REALLY know you're an MSer when you get pulled over speeding because you're trying to squeeze in a quick trip to target before you bring your friend to the airport and when you open your purse to find your driver's license 20 money orders fall out while the cop stares at them.

This happened to me yesterday...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.