Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Hotel Credit Cards are worth MSing?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by sosamo
Yup. It's the first time my SO is going to europe. I am taking her there for her bday. All with cc sign up and ms. I want to make it memorable. And yes. She is one of those SO that think msing is a waste of time. She kinda think it is dumb. I have been sign up for cc and msing since aug. 2013 for this 19 day europe Trip in april. Hopefully she will realize the fruit of my labor.
Which cities? I can make some recommendations based on that.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Remove 'hotels', insert cell phones, cars, houses, restaurants, F vs C vs Y, cameras, furniture, clothes, etc. This same argument against staying in nicer hotels can be used against all consumer purchases.

I remember almost 15 years ago listening to a coworker complain about another coworker who was looking at different high end SLR cameras, trying to decide which one to buy. The non-camera buying coworker went on and on about what a waste of money it was to spend a ton of money for a camera. The camera buyer was an avid photographer who could discern the difference between a high end camera and one that I would buy - for me, a much lesser camera is fine. But I completely understood his desire to buy a high end camera and admonished the coworker who was complaining about the guy wasting HIS money on a nice camera. Just because I don't care about many of the functions in a camera doesn't mean that it was a waste of my coworker's money.

With more than 3000 hotel nights in everything from barely tolerable to some of the best in the world, I could provide a long list of items that make high end hotels worth the money for me. But that would simply be fodder for those that consider anyone who likes high end hotels a snob and/or fool.

I've been a Club Carlson Concierge. Club Carlson is a lower end hotel chain with a very small handful of very nice hotels. I don't hate Club Carlson; it has its place. I even have quite a few CC goldpoints. What I don't like is people misrepresenting CC's hotel portfolio as something it is not - high end, especially when those same people state that they don't understand what's so great about high end hotels. For that reason, it's a terrible fit for what the OP has stated his objective is - a high end European vacation with his wife.
I diagree, there could be tangible differences between phone A and phone B, as well as obvious differences between F or Y. They are undeniable. Same with Cameras and most things. If you wish I could rattle some off.

What is the difference between a Radisson in Paris and say the park hyatt vendome? What do you get? I am not saying this to be argumentative I really want to know.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Domat

What is the difference between a Radisson in Paris and say the park hyatt vendome? What do you get? I am not saying this to be argumentative I really want to know.
Cool points, which I value at 2.7 cpp
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by ILGfly
I know what you mean. Be careful though. Any time we have to fly coach now I hear a load of complaining from my SO.
+1 even on domestic flights.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by farwest101
"Top category" doesn't equal "top quality" wrt Carlson. It's all low and mid range. And that's why many aren't interested. If you just want a roof over your head, Carlson can't be beat for 2 night stays.

For one night stays, or the ability to stay at large number of properties with true top tier, Hilton is hard to beat.

Imo, for the Average Joe who doesn't want to bother with multiple programs to make sure they get the "best" redemption possible, HH has to be the program of choice, because of their large footprint, the relative ease and low cost of garnering points, large footprint of low to true top tier properties, and the ability to earn top status without a quadzillion stays under their belt.

But I suspect many on FT don't mind multiple programs. I do SPG, Hilton, Hyatt and Carlson, and stay at the best hotel I can in whatever location I go. Only major cities have Park Hyatts and St Regis (or are in "destination" locations), so Hilton gets most of my second tier location stays (with the occasional Conrad or resort property like Koh Samui included) because of their much larger footprint. I have yet to find a place where Carlson is the best option, so have yet to set foot inside a Carlson.
I have stayed at the top end hilton, hyatt, and cc properties in london. While Hilton had the best view, that was really the only thing going for it. Hyatt didnt win in a single judged category for us when we compared, very unimpressed. CC was our hotel of choice out of all three properties. The cc in dublin was also our top choice, although there is a westin, we just didnt have the points for that at the time of booking and cc points were far cheaper to ms, but the westin was really the only possible competition. If you dont step foot in them how do you know they are not the best option?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
I really, really to do not want to feed the troll-like responses to anything that may be perceived as snobbery or anti-Club Carlson. This thread has already taken on a much nastier/defensive tone than is necessary. If you spend a lot of nights in hotels, you'll notice a difference after a while. I've spent almost 1/2 of my nights over the last 25 years in hotel rooms of all price/quality ranges.

If you're happier with a Radisson in Paris than the PH Vendome, that's great. That's not meant as an insult; as long as you're happy with the Radisson, why spend the extra money? I've stayed 2 nights in a suite at the PH Vendome, courtesy of my free Hyatt Visa credit card nights. It is one of the top hotels in the world; I had a great stay there. If not for the free credit card nights, I would have stayed somewhere less upscale. Probably the Westin Paris Vendome - same location but much less expensive. That's still more expensive than any Radisson in Paris so I'm sure I'll get flamed for that choice. However, I'm an SPG Plat and Hyatt Diamond so there are other perks that come with top tier status with those hotel chains.

I've seen a post here where someone said that they'd never pay more than $200/night for a hotel room. I understand that; I used to have the same opinion. I'm in a different point in my life where I can afford to spend a bit more on hotel rooms than I used to. Last summer, we traveled to China and we stayed at the St Regis in Lhasa Tibet. This is a place where you can get a decent hotel room for $50 or so. Since it was my daughter's birthday while we were there, I used cash and points for the St Regis - 10K pts + $180 per night. Fantastic hotel, but I'm sure many would call it an overpriced piece of crap. To each his/her own.

Trying to drag this back to topic:
Sosamo, if you're going to Paris, you will likely visit Versailles. A few things:
1) The Palace is closed on closed on Mondays.
2) I highly recommend that you spend one night in the town of Versailles (it's quiet) so that you can arrive at the Palace early in the morning. The lines get extremely long for entry. Just don't make it Sunday night.
3) Buy your Versailles tickets at the hotel concierge desk the night before - this will save you time at the Palace.
4) I'd recommend the Waldorf Astoria Trianon Palace Versailles. It's the nicest hotel there, but likely to be cheaper than any nicer Paris hotel.
For Paris:
Buy your Louvre tickets from your hotel concierge desk. This will save you a lot of time in line. There's a special entrance on the side of the Louvre for those tickets - it takes a while to find it, but it's a huge time saver.

For London:
The Tower of London is a must see, but it is off located by itself. I recommend you stay at the Andaz Liverpool street. Stay there on a weekend night; the hotel is used by businessmen/bankers so the rates are HIGH during the week and LOW during the weekends. The hotel is right next to the Liverpool Street tube station and is walking distance from the Tower of London (only a few blocks away). Or you can choose another hotel that you might think is a better fit, but I recommend booking it for one weekend night due to the much higher prices during the week.
If you guys are into rock and roll, I recommend a rock and roll tour. They're a lot of fun.

Since you'll be gone for 19 days, you're going to need to do laundry. I usually plan one or two days to get laundry dropped off at a local Laundromat/cleaner. That's going to be a cheaper option than having the hotel take care of your clothes. Hunt around on Lonely Planet/Tripadvisor/etc and you should be able to find good recommendations. Hotel laundries are so expensive that it's usually cheaper to simply buy new clothes.

I'd pack light enough to be able to move everything to public transport by yourselves ... using the subway/tube is fast and inexpensive. We make sure that we have suitcases that we can wheel by ourselves along with an additional bag we hook onto the larger suitcase. You can also either bring some 'throwaway' clothes (my mom's technique) to make room for souvenirs on the trip, or buy another suitcase prior to leaving there (what most international tourists do here in the US when they buy a ton of new clothes here - clothes tend to be cheaper/better quality in the US).

Have a great time on your trip.

Last edited by iflyjetz; Mar 30, 2015 at 12:47 pm
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:45 pm

I really, really to do not want to feed the troll-like responses to anything that may be perceived as snobbery or anti-Club Carlson. This thread has already taken on a much nastier/defensive tone than is necessary.

If you're happier with a Radisson in Paris than the PH Vendome, that's great. That's not meant as an insult; as long as you're happy with the Radisson, why spend the extra money? I've stayed 2 nights in a suite at the PH Vendome, courtesy of my free Hyatt Visa credit card nights. It is one of the top hotels in the world; I had a great stay there. If not for the free credit card nights, I would have stayed somewhere less upscale. Probably the Westin Paris Vendome - same location but much less expensive. That's still more expensive than any Radisson in Paris so I'm sure I'll get flamed for that choice. However, I'm an SPG Plat and Hyatt Diamond so there are other perks that come with top tier status with those hotel chains.

I've seen a post here where someone said that they'd never pay more than $200/night for a hotel room. I understand that; I used to have the same opinion. I'm in a different point in my life where I can afford to spend a bit more on hotel rooms than I used to. Last summer, we traveled to China and we stayed at the St Regis in Lhasa Tibet. This is a place where you can get a decent hotel room for $50 or so. Since it was my daughter's birthday while we were there, I used cash and points for the St Regis - 10K pts + $180 per night. Fantastic hotel, but I'm sure many would call it an overpriced piece of crap. To each his/her own.

All those words and not even an attempt to answer my question.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:52 pm

All those words and not even an attempt to answer my question.
OK, you are trolling. Fine.
Better quality linens.
Better quality toiletries.
Better soundproofing.
Usually few/no loud children running up and down the hotel corridors.
LOTS of other differences, large and small that will feed the trolls here.

I don't understand why you'd want your eyes opened to this stuff. If you're happy with Radisson, why do you want to know what the more expensive hotels have? Just book a night at a really nice hotel during low season and see if you notice the difference.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Which cities? I can make some recommendations based on that.
Thank you. I already booked all the hotels:

London / The London Edition (marriot points) / The Savoy (Fairmont CC)
Paris / Park Hyatt (Hyatt cc)
Venice / Hilton Stucky (hilton cc)
Florence / Hilton Metropole (hotels.com)
rome / First Luxery Hotel (hotels.com, capone miles) / Wardof Astoria (Hilton cc)
Milan / Park Hyatt (hyatt cc)
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:11 pm

OK, you are trolling. Fine.
Better quality linens.
Better quality toiletries.
Better soundproofing.
Usually few/no loud children running up and down the hotel corridors.
LOTS of other differences, large and small that will feed the trolls here.

I don't understand why you'd want your eyes opened to this stuff. If you're happy with Radisson, why do you want to know what the more expensive hotels have? Just book a night at a really nice hotel during low season and see if you notice the difference.
Trolling? I am not sure you know what that means. You purposely call people names and actually have the nerve to complain about others taking this thread down. I asked a perfectly reasonable question and you decided to answer it like a politician. If anyone is the troll it is you.

Why would I want to know what a more expensive hotel has? you can't be serious?

Now that aside, I really wanted to know. I asked an honest question and got a troll answer from you as well as name calling. I never said I was happy with Raddison in fact I do not think I have ever stayed at one. I asked the difference between the two.

Okay I assume the list above are the big important things or else why would you have listed them.

The things you mentioned are worth 600-1000 more a night for you and are the reasons you prefer one over the other? Fine. I appreciate you finally answering my question.

With that answer I can make a more informed decision without thinking I might be missing something.

Most of my high end rooms and suite are in Vegas and the rooms completely out class anything I have seen of the Vendome. The vendome looks extremely basic to me. Especially in comparison but I haven't touched the linens or the toiletries.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:19 pm

My apologies if that was a serious question. However, 600-1000 more per night for a 5 star is significantly overstating the additional amount that I spend for a room.

Now, watch how many feed on that extremely short list that I gave you.

Last edited by iflyjetz; Mar 30, 2015 at 1:25 pm
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

I really, really to do not want to feed the troll-like responses to anything that may be perceived as snobbery or anti-Club Carlson. This thread has already taken on a much nastier/defensive tone than is necessary. If you spend a lot of nights in hotels, you'll notice a difference after a while. I've spent almost 1/2 of my nights over the last 25 years in hotel rooms of all price/quality ranges.

Trying to drag this back to topic:
Sosamo, if you're going to Paris, you will likely visit Versailles. A few things:
1) The Palace is closed on closed on Mondays.
2) I highly recommend that you spend one night in the town of Versailles (it's quiet) so that you can arrive at the Palace early in the morning. The lines get extremely long for entry. Just don't make it Sunday night.
3) Buy your Versailles tickets at the hotel concierge desk the night before - this will save you time at the Palace.
4) I'd recommend the Waldorf Astoria Trianon Palace Versailles. It's the nicest hotel there, but likely to be cheaper than any nicer Paris hotel.
For Paris:
Buy your Louvre tickets from your hotel concierge desk. This will save you a lot of time in line. There's a special entrance on the side of the Louvre for those tickets - it takes a while to find it, but it's a huge time saver.

For London:
The Tower of London is a must see, but it is off located by itself. I recommend you stay at the Andaz Liverpool street. Stay there on a weekend night; the hotel is used by businessmen/bankers so the rates are HIGH during the week and LOW during the weekends. The hotel is right next to the Liverpool Street tube station and is walking distance from the Tower of London (only a few blocks away). Or you can choose another hotel that you might think is a better fit, but I recommend booking it for one weekend night due to the much higher prices during the week.
If you guys are into rock and roll, I recommend a rock and roll tour. They're a lot of fun.

Since you'll be gone for 19 days, you're going to need to do laundry. I usually plan one or two days to get laundry dropped off at a local Laundromat/cleaner. That's going to be a cheaper option than having the hotel take care of your clothes. Hunt around on Lonely Planet/Tripadvisor/etc and you should be able to find good recommendations. Hotel laundries are so expensive that it's usually cheaper to simply buy new clothes.

I'd pack light enough to be able to move everything to public transport by yourselves ... using the subway/tube is fast and inexpensive. We make sure that we have suitcases that we can wheel by ourselves along with an additional bag we hook onto the larger suitcase. You can also either bring some 'throwaway' clothes (my mom's technique) to make room for souvenirs on the trip, or buy another suitcase prior to leaving there (what most international tourists do here in the US when they buy a ton of new clothes here - clothes tend to be cheaper/better quality in the US).

Have a great time on your trip.
Thank you for the all recommendation. I won't have much time in Paris, so Versailles have to wait. Thanks for the Louvre ticket info. Yes, I am worry about the laundry situation. We plan to pack light. Got only of those 3 luggage samsonite combo from Costco. large, medium, and carry on. All with spinners.

4 days in London (LHR), 2 days in Paris (Eurostar from London), 2 days in Venice (Thello sleepy from Paris), 2 days in Florence (train from Venice), 4 days in Rome (Train from Florence), and 1-2 days in Milan(train from Rome) (fly home MXP to LAX).
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:37 pm

My apologies if that was a serious question. However, 600-1000 more per night for a 5 star is significantly overstating the additional amount that I spend for a room.

Now, watch how many feed on that extremely short list that I gave you.
But those things you listed are the big things right? The main reasons why one is better then the other? This is a good representation of the Park Vendome right? IKEA like furniture and all?

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/t...s6da5b139.jpg]

http://thepointsguy.com/wp-content/u...ium.jpg?671d82

And yes my questions are honest and serious. I do have free nights to use and want to decide where to use them. I doubt they will be at city hotels as they all seem to basic.

Last edited by Domat; Mar 30, 2015 at 1:47 pm
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by sosamo
Thank you for the all recommendation. I won't have much time in Paris, so Versailles have to wait. Thanks for the Louvre ticket info. Yes, I am worry about the laundry situation. We plan to pack light. Got only of those 3 luggage samsonite combo from Costco. large, medium, and carry on. All with spinners.

4 days in London (LHR), 2 days in Paris (Eurostar from London), 2 days in Venice (Thello sleepy from Paris), 2 days in Florence (train from Venice), 4 days in Rome (Train from Florence), and 1-2 days in Milan(train from Rome) (fly home MXP to LAX).
I'm sure it will be great. Looks like about the right mix of days in each city (I would have also recommended a Champagne tour out of Paris, but there's not even enough time for Versailles). The Louvre is an all-day event. Make sure you get your Eiffel Tower tickets as possible by booking online.

Florence is one of my favorite cities.

If you've got a chance (probably won't) in Venice, take a tour of the Murano glass factories. Or just ride the boat over there and walk around the island.

When you go from Florence to Rome (or Rome to Milan), consider stopping in Pisa. It's a sleepy city and we didn't have much of a wait to see the Tower of Pisa. If you can leave your luggage in the train station, do that. Then just take a taxi to the Tower of Pisa. It should only add a couple of hours to your trip.

There is SO much to see in Rome that
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

I'm sure it will be great. Looks like about the right mix of days in each city (I would have also recommended a Champagne tour out of Paris, but there's not even enough time for Versailles). The Louvre is an all-day event. Make sure you get your Eiffel Tower tickets as possible by booking online.

Florence is one of my favorite cities.

If you've got a chance (probably won't) in Venice, take a tour of the Murano glass factories. Or just ride the boat over there and walk around the island.

When you go from Florence to Rome (or Rome to Milan), consider stopping in Pisa. It's a sleepy city and we didn't have much of a wait to see the Tower of Pisa. If you can leave your luggage in the train station, do that. Then just take a taxi to the Tower of Pisa. It should only add a couple of hours to your trip.

There is SO much to see in Rome that
Thanks for the recommendation. I am thinking to going to Pisa for a 1/2 day trip when I first arrive to Florence. I already book tickets for eiffel tower, ufzi, academia, Sistine chapel, Colosseum, etc.

I will research Murano. For Venice, I don't have anything planned. I don't really want take a tour of the underground politics.

Sorry everybody that we went off topic. This is an MSing Forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.