Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Hotel Credit Cards are worth MSing?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Good info. Club Carlson has nice hotel in europe but since I wasn't approved for the card I opted for park hyatt. Fairmont. And hilton for my europe Trip. I stayed at a Radisson in richmond. Canada it was nice. Not 5 stars. But will do if it was just a regular vac.

I lowered my chase hyatt CL to 5k. I don't think I will be msing with it. I already have a few cards with amex. Don't want to have amother pull applying for the surpass. My CL for my spg is 2k

I'll probably ms about 40-80k a year with the hilton Reserve at simon.

Once I get my ihg card. I would ms a little with it also for stays at the intercontinental hotels.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sosamo
Good info. Club Carlson has nice hotel in europe but since I wasn't approved for the card I opted for park hyatt. Fairmont. And hilton for my europe Trip. I stayed at a Radisson in richmond. Canada it was nice. Not 5 stars. But will do if it was just a regular vac.

I lowered my chase hyatt CL to 5k. I don't think I will be msing with it. I already have a few cards with amex. Don't want to have amother pull applying for the surpass. My CL for my spg is 2k

I'll probably ms about 40-80k a year with the hilton Reserve at simon.

Once I get my ihg card. I would ms a little with it also for stays at the intercontinental hotels.
Oh I also heard that you apply for a 2nd reserve to get another 2 free nights is a possibility. I might do that for me and SI in the future for our next vac

Last edited by sosamo; Mar 21, 2015 at 10:50 am
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by sedubby
If you're going to Europe, then the Club Carlson is by far the most lucrative IMO. 2 free nights for every $10k in spend...
That is true but they do have some interesting gaps even there. There are near as I can tell three CC properties in all of Italy. One in Rome (with mixed reviews, mostly about location), one in Milan and one some distance from Venice (probably far enough away you wouldn't want to stay there if going to Venice).
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by sosamo
Originally Posted by sedubby
If you're going to Europe, then the Club Carlson is by far the most lucrative IMO. 2 free nights for every $10k in spend...
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
That is true but they do have some interesting gaps even there. There are near as I can tell three CC properties in all of Italy. One in Rome (with mixed reviews, mostly about location), one in Milan and one some distance from Venice (probably far enough away you wouldn't want to stay there if going to Venice).

I've had my eye on the CC card for a little while. Will likely pull the trigger sometime this year (because, why not...) But most of the comments I read about it being a great card for Europe seem to always call out the same 2 or 3 properties... scandinavian countries seem to get a lot of mentions. What are some of the other prime Europe CC properties? Good location, and all the rest?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:09 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by thewhitezone
I've had my eye on the CC card for a little while. Will likely pull the trigger sometime this year (because, why not...) But most of the comments I read about it being a great card for Europe seem to always call out the same 2 or 3 properties... scandinavian countries seem to get a lot of mentions. What are some of the other prime Europe CC properties? Good location, and all the rest?
North Europe is one of the most overpriced parts of the world, so having easy to MS hotel points that can be put to good use is invaluable. Just about every city has something good. London has tons of good CC properties, Dublin, Edinbugh, Amsterdam, Paris etc.. all have very good hotels. Unless you're a hotel snob you'd like them just fine.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Discussed earlier, and another option. Hold multiple cards that have free annual night benefits.

My SO and I have the IHG, HH Reserve, Hyatt and Club Carl Personal and Business.

Yes, that is 10 cards total, with 10 annual fees. But it is easy, no need to MS.

And I have been successful to get some really good retention offers that offset the annual cost.

I use these points/free nights for high end properties, expensive cities or peak travel time (ie, Sporting Events, XMAS & NYE) to maximize return.

Of course I mix in everyday spend.

I also do buy points when there are good sales. To some this is not worth, but for me it is, easy. I also participate in the structured offers, like stay X, get X.

I also hit MS pretty hard on my airline cards.

Just like a good investment portfolio, I diversify.

Goal is to get "free" travel, but I am also very pleased to get "highly discounted" travel.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by knopfler
If you MS with the Surpass, it's pretty easy to obtain Diamond status as well.
Yup and the automatic Gold is a good benefit from having the card...
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
Discussed earlier, and another option. Hold multiple cards that have free annual night benefits.

My SO and I have the IHG, HH Reserve, Hyatt and Club Carl Personal and Business.

Goal is to get "free" travel, but I am also very pleased to get "highly discounted" travel.

that's the Valhalla, right? multiple cards, multiple free nights, string them together for a vacation we couldn't afford otherwise.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:33 am

The "problem" with some hotel cards is they aren't a whole lot better (and some are worse) than just MSing on a 2% or 2.2% cashback card. Just because you get a hotel stay for half price (accounting for cost of MS) doesn't mean it is a good deal as compared to 2% cashback and booking the same hotel via Hotwire at a discount. Also there are a number of ways to to get discounted lodgings beyond just hotels. I do MS some hotel cards for hotel stays but you really need to run the numbers and compare to other options you have for lodging/discount lodging.

And of course the math can change a lot based on what your cost of MS is, what other options you have to MS and your volume.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:40 am

CC is good at 5x, but I've never stayed at a CC property because there aren't any of their hotels in places I want to go. My main chain is the IHG, but I don't use MS because their cc has poor cc rewards.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:23 am

The "problem" with some hotel cards is they aren't a whole lot better (and some are worse) than just MSing on a 2% or 2.2% cashback card. Just because you get a hotel stay for half price (accounting for cost of MS) doesn't mean it is a good deal as compared to 2% cashback and booking the same hotel via Hotwire at a discount. Also there are a number of ways to to get discounted lodgings beyond just hotels. I do MS some hotel cards for hotel stays but you really need to run the numbers and compare to other options you have for lodging/discount lodging.

And of course the math can change a lot based on what your cost of MS is, what other options you have to MS and your volume.
Perception is everything. If Im booking on points instead of paying, Im far more likely to spend "extravagantly" to get top tier hotel redemptions, whereas if Im paying cash, theres no way Im going over $200 a night ever. It may be the same, but once you have money in hand, and you are spending cold hard cash on a hotel room, the perception is different. Theres also the idea, would you go out of your way to make $10 in cb vs going out of your way to get a vacation you wouldnt otherwise get? People tend to value the experience more than the small amounts of $, even if they are the same cost/benefit (there is an inherent awe factor of this fabulous vacation vs the extra $ every month that you can barely differentiate from day to day). Im not arguing it makes sense, just that its there.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
Im not arguing it makes sense, just that its there.
Yes humans are remarkably good at making poor economic decisions (not pointing the finger at you as I too can fall prey to the thought process you outline). That said just because one makes that decision doesn't necessarily make it right in a strictly logical sense. Still in reality this is a hobby as much as a business to most folks and if they are happy with what they get from it, that is all that matters.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The "problem" with some hotel cards is they aren't a whole lot better (and some are worse) than just MSing on a 2% or 2.2% cashback card. Just because you get a hotel stay for half price (accounting for cost of MS) doesn't mean it is a good deal as compared to 2% cashback and booking the same hotel via Hotwire at a discount...
I used to do the Priceline/Hotwire thing, but I'm much happier with the certainty and simplicity of using hotel points. The bottom line isn't everything.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU

Yes, that is 10 cards total, with 10 annual fees. But it is easy, no need to MS.
What's the purpose of holding onto the HH Reserve/Hyatt? Especially if you don't MS on it. My understanding is that they don't give you a free annual night.

IHG gives a free annual night and CC gives 40k points/yr so it can be redeemed for free night.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by rtraveler
What's the purpose of holding onto the HH Reserve/Hyatt? Especially if you don't MS on it. My understanding is that they don't give you a free annual night.

IHG gives a free annual night and CC gives 40k points/yr so it can be redeemed for free night.
Hyatt gives a free night every year you pay AF too. Hilton Reserve gives you a free night after $10K spend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.