Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Hotel Credit Cards are worth MSing?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Which Hotel Credit Cards are worth MSing?

Hi, right now the only category that I do not have points in is the Hotel Category.

I already Signed up for Chase Hyatt, Citi Hilton Reserve, Chase Fairmont, to get the 2 free nights.

I want to stay at the Top Category hotels, but rate is outrageous. Hilton is like 80k a night. 80k / 3pts is about 27k worth of Msing. Cost of Msing that is about $214 + time.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: Delta Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Diplomat, Hertz Chairman's Square, Avis Preferred Plus
A lot of people swear by their SPG Amex card. I'd get one if I frequented SPG properties for work but my current projects have placed me in Marriott properties so I opted for the Marriott Premier Rewards card.

SPG have good transfer bonuses to other programs hence why they're seen as so valuable.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dont u get 6 pt/$ at grocery stores etc?
iirc ur best bet in terms of return on spend is club carlson but those properties are outside us
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold
It's a very narrow set of scenarios where MSing with a hotel card is worth it.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thoiboi
A lot of people swear by their SPG Amex card. I'd get one if I frequented SPG properties for work but my current projects have placed me in Marriott properties so I opted for the Marriott Premier Rewards card.

SPG have good transfer bonuses to other programs hence why they're seen as so valuable.
I have an SPG Amex...CL....2k. Kinda tough to MS on 2k CL.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:43 am

Hilton gets a lot of hate but at 6x grocery spend the Surpass is one of my favorite cards for MS.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azepine00
Dont u get 6 pt/$ at grocery stores etc?
iirc ur best bet in terms of return on spend is club carlson but those properties are outside us
I think this is only for the AMEX Hilton Surpass. I don't have that card since the sign up bonus is like 50k...which is not even enough for 1 night at CAT 7.

And supermarket that let you buy gc with cc are hit or miss.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Depends on where you are going. The Club Carlson will get some light MS from me for a trip to Ireland in the fall. It was great in London last year - I managed about $0.015 on redemption for a pair of two night weekend stays in London using the last night free program. That is a 7.5% rate since it is 5X everywhere.

For Ireland I am seeing redemption rates around $0.01/point. That still makes it a good 5% card. For the record, I base the value of the room on what it would cost to book a fully refundable room on the day I make the award reservation, converted to USD. I know some will say I should use what I could get a room in the same city for on Priceline, cheaper prepaid rate, etc. but this system is simple and works for me.

Now my issue is training US Bank to let me load RC at Target. I have a hard time getting anything over $200 through.

Figure out where you want to go, where you want to stay, and how much those rooms are worth to you.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by sosamo
I think this is only for the AMEX Hilton Surpass. I don't have that card since the sign up bonus is like 50k...which is not even enough for 1 night at CAT 7.

And supermarket that let you buy gc with cc are hit or miss.
If you MS with the Surpass, it's pretty easy to obtain Diamond status as well.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by voodoomonkey
Hilton gets a lot of hate but at 6x grocery spend the Surpass is one of my favorite cards for MS.
Don't the grocery stores limit how many $500 gift cards you can buy at one time? How much do you buy at once?
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tev9999
Depends on where you are going. The Club Carlson will get some light MS from me for a trip to Ireland in the fall. It was great in London last year - I managed about $0.015 on redemption for a pair of two night weekend stays in London using the last night free program. That is a 7.5% rate since it is 5X everywhere.

For Ireland I am seeing redemption rates around $0.01/point. That still makes it a good 5% card. For the record, I base the value of the room on what it would cost to book a fully refundable room on the day I make the award reservation, converted to USD. I know some will say I should use what I could get a room in the same city for on Priceline, cheaper prepaid rate, etc. but this system is simple and works for me.

Now my issue is training US Bank to let me load RC at Target. I have a hard time getting anything over $200 through.

Figure out where you want to go, where you want to stay, and how much those rooms are worth to you.
thanks for the info. I think Europe is best for Carlson, but I am already going there on 4/10

US bank already denied me once. I don't want to apply for it for awhile. They are the strict....just because I opened like 10+ cards within 1yr...
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by knopfler
If you MS with the Surpass, it's pretty easy to obtain Diamond status as well.
With the Surpass, just like the Reserve, you have to spend 40k.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:20 pm

SPG Amex all the way for me. Starwood happens to be my chain of choice but I do it for the airline transfer partners. SPG is the only points transfer partner for a few valuable airlines. You're also essentially earning 1.25 miles per dollar since you get a 25% bonus when your transfer points in 20k increments, i.e. you need 100k miles for an upcoming trip, you only have to transfer 80k since you get four 5k bonuses.

The 5th night free on award stays isn't bad either. That turns your 5 night stay at a top category hotel from a 30k Starpoints per night stay to a 24k points per night stay.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:54 pm

If you're going to Europe, then the Club Carlson is by far the most lucrative IMO. 2 free nights for every $10k in spend...
Old Mar 17, 2015, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ILGfly
SPG Amex all the way for me. Starwood happens to be my chain of choice but I do it for the airline transfer partners. SPG is the only points transfer partner for a few valuable airlines. You're also essentially earning 1.25 miles per dollar since you get a 25% bonus when your transfer points in 20k increments, i.e. you need 100k miles for an upcoming trip, you only have to transfer 80k since you get four 5k bonuses.

The 5th night free on award stays isn't bad either. That turns your 5 night stay at a top category hotel from a 30k Starpoints per night stay to a 24k points per night stay.
Thanks. That's sounds good. But still for a 5night stay, you will need 24k x 4. that's 92k worth of spend. At a 2k CL.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.