Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Hotel Credit Cards are worth MSing?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
I never said I did MS on them the numbers I ran were just when I was considering what cards to get and what hotel programs had some use to me. I have actually not had any of Chase's hotel cards so far.
I have the IHG card for the free night and 10% off benefit, and just got both versions of Marriott due to the increased bonus. I have no interest in the Hyatt card unless the rumored 50k offer finally comes out vs the 2 free nights bonus. I don't value Park Hyatts and the restricted timeline that comes with redeeming free night certificates.

Also, all hotel points MS must be compared against a 2% cashback card to see if it's worth it, assuming you don't maximize the cashback MS already and have excess capacity left.

So with that said, a $10k spend for top tier Radisson night could mean giving up $200 cashback. In most cities, I can get a very comfortable lower end hotel for well below $200 so my MS on the CC card will be down to a minimum.

Hilton MS is still worth it at 6x for low tier hotels, which are very nice in Asia.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 6:40 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Andy2
My MS costs are around $6 per $500.
Why not use the Target Prepaid Redcard? $5K/mo with zero costs.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 6:52 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Why not use the Target Prepaid Redcard? $5K/mo with zero costs.
No eligible Target near me, at least the last time I checked.

I load the Bluebird 5K per month of course, with either debit cards or the UFB Direct debit card. But 5K per month just is not very much.

I did this for a long time with the 5% Blue Cash until that card got cancelled, and now I am in the last month of the Wells Fargo 5%. While doing that, I would pick up some extra prepaid cards to get some Radisson and Arrival points since it took little additional effort. When the 5% deals go away, I think I am out of the game (other than minimum spend for new card bonuses, which are getting more scarce), other than loading the Bluebird for 5K a month.

Fun while it lasted, just like the extra night on the Club Carlson card.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 7:07 pm

I load the Bluebird 5K per month of course, with either debit cards or the UFB Direct debit card. But 5K per month just is not very much.

I did this for a long time with the 5% Blue Cash until that card got cancelled, and now I am in the last month of the Wells Fargo 5%. While doing that, I would pick up some extra prepaid cards to get some Radisson and Arrival points since it took little additional effort. When the 5% deals go away, I think I am out of the game (other than minimum spend for new card bonuses, which are getting more scarce), other than loading the Bluebird for 5K a month.

US Bank is also notorious with fraud lockdowns for the RB loads.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star

You can pick up a Redbird card on the internet for ~$30. That would more than pay for itself in a month. Of course you'd have to cancel your BB.

I had my daughter pick up a RB for me and have been using that for my MSing. I'm considering having her get me a second card to build up some SPG points.

Now, if you're in North Carolina, forget it. RB hasn't been working in North Carolina.

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
US Bank is also notorious with fraud lockdowns for the RB loads.
I initially had that problem with Chase. Since switching to odd numbers instead of $1K, $750, $500, $250, etc, I haven't had any fraud alerts.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
I only MSed the Marriott card to get enough points to get me lifetime plat. I have since cancelled the card, as the program's moved so many properties into cat 6+ that the annual cat 1-5 cert's not worth keeping the card.
At 1pt/$ for MS and the 'estimated' value of Marriott points being .8 cents/pt, it's not worth it.
In order to get Gold status, you would need an additional 35 nights in addition to the 15 night annual credit from the card. At $3K/night credit, it will take $105K of MSing to get you to Gold status.
Not worth it.

I currently don't recommend the Hyatt card for MSing unless you will have at least 20 stays or 40 nights at Hyatts. For $40K of MSing, you can get 5 stay and 10 night credit toward Diamond status.
It is a better card to MS than Marriott because you get the same 1 HGP/$ MSing, but each HGP is worth ~2.5 cents/pt.

If you're looking for another hotel card beyond a Hilton card for higher end hotels, the only recommendation that I have would be the SPG AmEx.
the park hyatt in ho chi minh city is only a cat. 4. 15k points a night. Cost per night is about 500.00 to ms 15k point is about 120.00

My friend said that is one of the nicest hotel there.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by sosamo
the park hyatt in ho chi minh city is only a cat. 4. 15k points a night. Cost per night is about 500.00 to ms 15k point is about 120.00

We did an almost monthlong trip last summer of China, Thailand, and Tibet. No plans for Asia for the next few years; we've got several places higher on our list.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sosamo

I've stayed at the Park Hyatt Saigon a few times. It's an older hotel but nice and great location. I like the Intercontinental Asiana Saigon Residences better, but it's 25K/night. I usually stay at both, and if I don't have enough points for my entire stay I stay at a Vietnamese 4-star for around $50-70/night, cheaper if you go outside District 1.

The Hyatt Regency Danang Resort is only 12K/night, 15K for an ocean view.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 7:10 am

Spg definitively
Old Apr 5, 2015, 7:55 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by littlewinglet
I have the IHG card for the free night and 10% off benefit, and just got both versions of Marriott due to the increased bonus. I have no interest in the Hyatt card unless the rumored 50k offer finally comes out vs the 2 free nights bonus. I don't value Park Hyatts and the restricted timeline that comes with redeeming free night certificates.

Also, all hotel points MS must be compared against a 2% cashback card to see if it's worth it, assuming you don't maximize the cashback MS already and have excess capacity left.

So with that said, a $10k spend for top tier Radisson night could mean giving up $200 cashback. In most cities, I can get a very comfortable lower end hotel for well below $200 so my MS on the CC card will be down to a minimum.

Hilton MS is still worth it at 6x for low tier hotels, which are very nice in Asia.
Keep in mind that for the $10k in spend, you also get 50,000 points. 50,000 points AND a free night are certainly worth more than $200.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
Keep in mind that for the $10k in spend, you also get 50,000 points. 50,000 points AND a free night are certainly worth more than $200.
That 50k points isn't directly convertible into cash, you have to check what the hotel you're booking goes for, and what other hotels in the area can be had for less $$. It's all relative, and in some cities and during major events when prices skyrocket, it could make sense. Since top-tier Radissons are not aspirational properties (although usually nice quality hotels) it's purely about value per point.

As an example, if there's a good IHG property in the same area that's ~$200 or less, I'd rather take the cash, stack a bunch of IHG promos and clean up with points earned on that paid stay.

The free night is only valid in the US, where decent Radissons are few and far between, and I have zero plans to use it in the next 3-4 years of travel. It's almost like they're admitting their US portfolio is garbage, and so they freely give away this "perk".
Old Apr 5, 2015, 8:15 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by sean79
Spg definitively
I try to get 30k spend on SPG from non-MSing, but I have never been able to get the math to work at all on that card with respect to typical MSing costs. Thanks to the other poster for pointing out that Redbird can be obtained online, and I can see MSing on the SPG when it is free on Redbird. But for the typical MS transactions that have a 1 percent to 1.25 percent cost (especially if mileage costs are incurred), I have just never been able to get the math to work for SPG in comparison to just working on getting traditional hotel discounts.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 8:18 am

I try to get 30k spend on SPG from non-MSing, but I have never been able to get the math to work at all on that card with respect to typical MSing costs. Thanks to the other poster for pointing out that Redbird can be obtained online, and I can see MSing on the SPG when it is free on Redbird. But for the typical MS transactions that have a 1 percent to 1.25 percent cost (especially if mileage costs are incurred), I have just never been able to get the math to work for SPG in comparison to just working on getting traditional hotel discounts.
Most people who make it work first buy AMEX GCs online, then convert to low cost or free Visa GCs, or load to RB. The portal cashback would pay for any activation fees with possibly some minimal profit left over, so you get free SPG points effectively. This process is way too slow and labor intensive. I'd rather just MS on Hilton cards. Their lower category hotels often are above 0.6 cents value per point, making it into a 3.6% return at grocery stores.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 8:31 am

The CC free night after $10k in spend is only good in the U.S. That stinks since I like to use it in Europe/Carribean.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 10:13 am

Not having the RB available in your area is a huge plus. It probably won't be killed off quickly, unlike the New York area, where a couple of stores have implemented policies that no longer allow credit card loading.
I haven't seen restrictive reports posted from CA yet, but the card is hard to find there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.