Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Comments on moderation ARE NOT allowed !
Print Wikipost

RIP Redbird... Fun while it lasted

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: Southwest CP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
Can you guys/gals do us all a big favor and give a little more detail please (for the benefit of forum)?
  • How many months of MS on RC.
  • How quickly you were liquidating after loading.
  • How you were liquidating.
I've had mine since January. I'd generally load early in the month at $2500/day but never back to back days.

My wife got hers last month. She hasn't even finished her loads this month. HECK, I hadn't started mine!

We both have nominal amounts direct deposited into the accounts every pay period.

We both would ACH just over $500 early in the month. We were then ACHing that money into Chase to avoid the monthly fee on the checking account there.

We would otherwise unload via billpay.

We would use the card at Target. My wife used hers to buy an iPad! We bought groceries.

I'm thinking this may be much more tenuous than anyone has realized up until now.

There'll be more opportunities. I leave for Cancun on Friday!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:37 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by pointspinnacle
Lol this is a funny thread! Guys i just got a redbird email!!! It says........ Savings are just the start! And is promoting all the features. Anyone esle get that one today? ��. The OP is a hoot!
I got it too. And it gives some clues as to how they want you to use the card:

Start enjoying the features and benefits of your Prepaid REDcard by adding cash for FREE1 at any U.S. Target store. Then use your Card for:
5% off at Target
Save 5%2 when you shop at Target and Target.com. And enjoy FREE shipping3 at Target.com too.

Everyday purchases Use your Card to buy groceries, fill up your gas tank, and more. Your Prepaid REDcard works virtually anywhere American Express Cards are accepted.
Cash when you need it Withdraw cash for FREE at U.S. Target stores4 and over 43,000 U.S. Allpoint Network ATMs. (ATM usage not available at any other ATMs).

Paying bills Pay bills like your phone bill or cable bill online for FREE. You'll save time and postage (electronic transfers take as little as two days). Pay Bills Online
Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:46 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Why is this in it's own thread when there's already a long established Redcard thread. Shouldn't this be moved/merged?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by WhoGoesThere
I've had mine since January. I'd generally load early in the month at $2500/day but never back to back days.

My wife got hers last month. She hasn't even finished her loads this month. HECK, I hadn't started mine!

We both have nominal amounts direct deposited into the accounts every pay period.

We both would ACH just over $500 early in the month. We were then ACHing that money into Chase to avoid the monthly fee on the checking account there.

We would otherwise unload via billpay.

We would use the card at Target. My wife used hers to buy an iPad! We bought groceries.

I'm thinking this may be much more tenuous than anyone has realized up until now.

There'll be more opportunities. I leave for Cancun on Friday!
Why not just do DD directly to your Chase checking and you can avoid the fee instead of going through Redbird. Seems a rather odd way to avoid the monthly fee.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: Southwest CP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Why not just do DD directly to your Chase checking and you can avoid the fee instead of going through Redbird. Seems a rather odd way to avoid the monthly fee.
I don't want my small town bank to take back my signup bonus. Two birds with one stone.

Or it was.

I'm kinda in between moods here.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
Originally Posted by deant
I received the exact same email as the OP so IT IS REAL. Know one other person that has gotten shut down by RedBird. Have been doing $5K per month for the last few months without issue.
I just got two shutdown emails. Fml. Tread carefully, folks. Fingers crossed here I can still get Serve.
Can you guys/gals do us all a big favor and give a little more detail please (for the benefit of forum)?
  • How many months of MS on RC.
  • How quickly you were liquidating after loading.
  • How you were liquidating.
What happens when those shut down try to log in to the RB account? And, could they post a screen shot of any error or message from the website?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by FindAWay
What happens when those shut down try to log in to the RB account? And, could they post a screen shot of any error or message from the website?
Sure, if you give them a little time to whip something up in Photoshop.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Guys, If you don't want to believe, that is OK. Just don't be surprised when you get the email.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:19 pm

I have to admit, if this is a hoax it is a pretty elaborate one. Saying this, I would (regrettably) think I'd be one receiving an e-mail soon.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:20 pm

I don't want my small town bank to take back my signup bonus. Two birds with one stone.

Or it was.

I'm kinda in between moods here.
I am pretty sure there is another workaround that doesn't involve Redbird.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by twelvetosix
I have to admit, if this is a hoax it is a pretty elaborate one. Saying this, I would (regrettably) think I'd be one receiving an e-mail soon.
i concur. It seems pretty elaborate to make up something like this.... After I just loaded 2.5K this afternoon I think I'll have my DH transfer the money to my serve account JIC, I prefer to let payments post before making BPs and these wont post until tomorrow. Dont want that kinda money hanging around unnecessarily. Not that I couldnt afford to float, I just dont want to have to...The less Im floating the more I can MS
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:25 pm

The shutdowns are absolutely legit. There is no joke.

Max loads of $1k/$1k/$500 followed by immediate drain by BP, ATM, and ACH push.

Sorry if 6 posts isn't enough credibility for you. Just started this.

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 5, 2015 at 8:09 pm
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
The irony of all this is that this new fear of being shut down makes me think I should engage in the exact behavior I know I should be avoiding (i.e., instant draining)!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:38 pm

Programs: $$$
Very torn:

-Remove all money ASAP in order to get it out before a shutdown

or

-Leave big $$$ in in order to AVOID a shutdown

damned if I do, damned if I don't

Ugh.

Clearly, no more loads for me until this settles down. Haven't done March, but there's plenty of time.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:38 pm

Do they make money from billpay?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.