Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Comments on moderation ARE NOT allowed !
Print Wikipost

RIP Redbird... Fun while it lasted

Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:41 am

For those of you that have gotten shutdown, is there any collateral damage with your other Amex cards, specifically credit cards?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:45 am
Suspended

Billpay working for me again.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat
RIP Redbird... Fun while it lasted

If it is a hoax (which I don't think it is), I'm not sure what the point is. If the shut downs are fake, then no one will get shut down and we will all continuing using our Target Redcards to MS. Unless they are doing it just for giggles? Or to push us all to change our behaviors and be less obvious?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by zoomgirl
If it is a hoax (which I don't think it is), I'm not sure what the point is. If the shut downs are fake, then no one will get shut down and we will all continuing using our Target Redcards to MS. Unless they are doing it just for giggles? Or to push us all to change our behaviors and be less obvious?
This ^
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:00 am

If I had to guess, I'd say its both of the things you said. People on the internet love to troll other people. Any forums you'll ever read have trolls that just post things to get a rise out of people. They also might think scaring people will make them change their behavior, thus making it last longer for them.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by twelvetosix
If I had to guess, I'd say its both of the things you said. People on the internet love to troll other people. Any forums you'll ever read have trolls that just post things to get a rise out of people. They also might think scaring people will make them change their behavior, thus making it last longer for them.
The person who started this thread has almost 1300 posts under his/her belt.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by twelvetosix
I also think it's weird that they would tell you what you've been shutdown for.
This. Past shutdown emails from Amex have been curiously vague-- not specific. Also, ask yourself what purpose being THIS specific would serve.

Anyone MS'ing using this card would certainly know that program abuse was the reason, so a mere mention of not using the card as intended would suffice. But if the idea is to publicize the letter to others and leave no doubt in the readers' minds what they should not be doing, well. . . .
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by LWT3
The person who started this thread has almost 1300 posts under his/her belt.
I forget what blog it was, but it stated that the OP has spread false information here before. I have no idea if this is true or not. Another poster in this thread also said the same. Maybe if that poster would elaborate? This is the age of internet anonymity and with that also comes a huge number of people who love to troll forums all the time just to get a rise out of people.

Also keep in mind that it wouldn't be the first time a hoax like this is posted on flyertalk. See http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....tdowns-a-hoax/

Furthermore, I find it odd that now there's people who seem to be using the redcard as it IS intended (at least they claim) and still get shut down. (And then disappear of course)
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:23 am

Little from Column A, but mostly from Column B, with a dash of Column C.

After reading these pages for a long time now and only posting very recently, there is very clearly a group of posters, potentially backed by the mods given the replies to posts I have seen deleted in other threads (H.E.L.L.O. method thread especially, check out the cached version if you're interested), that want less people to MS.

They go about this in a couple different ways, the first being with love. They implore you, the new MS'er, not to ruin it for everyone and to understand how your actions affect the whole group. They say lots of things that sound like they make sense for your own benefit. When really, IMO, its unfounded paranoia. There hasn't been a single MS method shutdown due to MS, they've all been for legit fraud, money laundering, they were poorly conceived items that made no money, etc. But, these people I have no quarrel with, at least their hearts in the right place and telling people to be smart, go slow and use their heads is never really a bad thing.

Then other posters, try to cull the herd with misinformation. The pattern goes like this - someone will post some new method of MS here (HELLO, Prepaidian, etc) and then posters, mostly long time members with 100s of posts, will out and out lie that said method doesn't work or threaten people who post about it. And then, new accounts with almost no posts will pop up to back what the poster with 100s of posts said.

This thread is one of the second types. MS'ers out there believe that too many people are using the Redbird and not using it how these old sage MS'ers think is appropriate. People have pleaded with the noobs to do it better, do it the right way.

And oh noes, a couple weeks ago a bunch of people called Target when their 100's of dollars disappeared. Who wouldn't want to know where their 100s of dollars went? The only way this is perceived as a bad thing is if you think you're using the Redbird incorrectly, and these people were not, they were using it Exactly how Target says to - load it up, buy some stuff at target and pay your bills. But to the old sage MS-er these noobs broke the rules, time to get them to stop. So a hoax is cooked up that pressed all of FT's buttons and sent out. The reasons the email are fake are clear - No Id number at the bottom, has would be capitalized, quotes around cash, $1000 with no comma, $1000 before $500 - that's just sloppy OP, and most damning in my mind - half of its is in purple, just like what happens if you cut and paste an in email into word and edit it, the colors get messed up.

But here's the thing about misinformation - you can't control it. Unintended consequences will happen. Sometimes these unintended consequences could undermine the very goal the old sages are out to achieve. So my problem with it, other than lying liars suck, its that its a bad plan, its a terrible plan.

So, old sages, get a better plan.

Additionally, there is an added benefit here is that this story has been picked up by the blogs. The FT community hates the blogs, Hates like a fat kid hates celery. The Prepaidian thread was essentially a test to see how fast the blogs would pick up on something posted here, and the answer, very quickly. Say what you will about the blogs, I like them, but I'm just pointing out that showing the power of FT and how it controls the travel/credit card blogosphere is another motivation here.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Heaven forbid I post something as a new user, now people think I am someone else. Delete.

Last edited by chitink; Mar 5, 2015 at 8:05 am
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:31 am

For those that are creating hoax emails, AmEx and Target invest a lot in building and protecting their brand. They are liti-happy and I’m sure they’re working on identifying individuals involved with this hoax and pursuing legal action against them. I hope you have good attorneys...
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by christof
In light of the recent emails that indicate Redbird accounts will be closed, I'm curious I currently have a Serve and a couple BlueBirds. I opened up a RedBird and made the initial $1,500 load. I'm still waiting for the permanent RedBird and planned to convert both BlueBirds and Serve to RedBirds but now I've placed the conversion plan are on hold.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO: DITCH SERVE / BLUEBIRD, or DITCH REDBIRD?

I'm especially tempted to close the RedBird and convert it to a SoftServe since those accounts with the higher limits will likely be unavailable after March 31, 2015. Thanks for your thoughts.
I have the same question
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Uh oh. Went to do a BP this morning and it says "Technical difficulties." Wonder if my account has been flagged but haven't received the email yet?
I had the same problem with my BB last night. I kept on refreshing the page until I was able to BP
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Originally Posted by chitink
Target changed their website today:

https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard/

It used to read load with a credit card, it no longer reads that.
Not according to the Wayback machine and their archive from Feb 20th.
https://web.archive.org/web/20150220...prepaidredcard

I recall specifically looking at this when I signed up in January and it did not say credit cards were allowed.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by tev9999
Not according to the Wayback machine and their archive from Feb 20th.
https://web.archive.org/web/20150220...prepaidredcard

I recall specifically looking at this when I signed up in January and it did not say credit cards were allowed.
I was wondering where it ever said anything about credit cards as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.