Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Comments on moderation ARE NOT allowed !
Print Wikipost

RIP Redbird... Fun while it lasted

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Thanks for posting. Most that get cut off don't bother to post.

Looks like there are two red flags that you triggered. Proof positive that round numbers are a bad thing.
I've been trying to do non-even numbers with both loads and BP. I also make occasional Target purchases. Hopefully that keeps me alive.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
I let it sit there for a few days a couple times, but usually I took it out one way or another pretty quickly.

Had it since October I think. 5K or damn near every month
Thank you very much for full disclosure on your posts; it helps to figure out the best way to proceed.

I've only withdrawn cash once ($200) and paid two mortgage payments. I have several thousand sitting in the account that I'll eventually transfer over to my brokerage account. No hurry though.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:44 pm

Good thing I always load in odd amounts. I also don't bill pay right away or do it for the same amount I loaded.

I typically do my loading over the course of a few weeks, in odd amounts. Then I bill pay my credit cards about a week or two before statement closing (I make sure all my CC statements close at the same time), but not in the exact amounts I loaded. In fact, I don't even care whether or not it's the same credit card I used to load. I just pay off each credit card from whichever account has enough to pay the balance.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by CASACW2
Hoping that it's not a nationwide shut down
Hmmmm...

Thousands (at least) of us doing this, and one person gets shut down?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
I let it sit there for a few days a couple times, but usually I took it out one way or another pretty quickly.

Had it since October I think. 5K or damn near every month

mostly bank withdrawals or billpay?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Domat
mostly bank withdrawals or billpay?
^ Excellent question....
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: RR, QS, AS MP, SPG
Originally Posted by Brugge
Hmmmm...

Keeping my fingers crossed, I'd prefer not to get shut down... Wife and I just got our Red Cards... And we've been odd-loading, and just planned out fall and next year travels... We'd like to keep RedBird
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum,
Hmmmm...

Great point
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:51 pm

Love how Amex says cash :P
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Hmmmm...

Dave4086 mentioned that one of his friends also got shut down. And I'm sure plenty that get shut down don't post here.

Looks like low hanging fruit for now. The first people to be shut down are going to be the ones who do $1k/$1k/$500 and almost immediately withdraw everything. We'll see if they start to shut down others.

It's interesting that the letter didn't mention using a credit card to add money to his Redbird. I expected that to be a flag.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Too many here are drawing the less likely conclusion. The two factors are deposits and withdrawals and most here are jumping on the deposits, but it seems to me the withdrawals are the more likely reason. It could be the combination of both, but quick withdrawals seems to me something they really wouldn't like. Why would they care what amounts you load with?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, Hyatt Platinum
I can't view the letter due to a firewall we have at work.
Can someone please summarize it?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:00 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
hopefully everyone drains their account all at once..then target/amex will rethink their stance..gotta think that losing out on their costco deal that amex will be hurting..
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:00 pm

I don't see why they (AMEX Redbird) would care whether these amounts are round numbers or not. What do you want to hide from them? They see the transaction and know that you load the card with a credit card as payment, whether the amount is round or not.
The only reason to use odd numbers would be to hide the fact that you are loading a re-loadable card from your credit card issuer, so they think it is legitimate spend and not loading a card. So I think it will make no difference whatsoever. Just my 2 cents.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:02 pm

I fit the profile and fear that I could be next. I came across this thread immediately after loading $2000. I was debating whether to immediately withdraw the money and risk getting shutdown or letting the money sit in the account for a while and still risk getting shut down and having my money held for 60-90 days. Floating the money for 60-90 days isn't an issue, but I do have a problem with someone limiting access to my money without my permission. So, I decided to initiate the withdrawal.

I have $1000 more to load for March and will likely do that tomorrow in two separate loads of odd amounts and then immediately withdraw the money. If I don't get shut down, I plan to wait until we'll into April before doing another load. Future loads will be in odd amounts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.