Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Comments on moderation ARE NOT allowed !
Print Wikipost

RIP Redbird... Fun while it lasted

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:51 pm

Riiiiiiiiiiight.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by gloobnib
FWIW - I've been doing big fat, round-number loads from literally week 1, and was one of the earliest to jump on the $2500 in a single CC swipe bandwagon. I've also been doing big, fat, account depleting bill pays within 1 week of the deposits.

I've yet to receive a shutdown notice.

Maybe I'm tempting fate by posting this, but ....
You've drawn a computer flag for the round numbers. That's only one flag, and it's the computer.
It would be interesting to see if your money stayed on the RC long enough to not trip the second (more important) flag of offloading immediately after loading the card.

The computer system may use a scoring system where x points are allocated to round numbers (and gradiations within round numbers) and different scores for the amount of time that cash stayed on your RB.
Knowing Target's data mining capabilities, they likely put scores on each transaction with respect to RB.
There's likely a cutoff number that, when exceeded, kicks the account out to a human to review. Which is likely just a rubber stamp.

I would think that it's Target closing the accounts and AmEx is merely the contracted party to manage the RBs. ... in other words, Target sends a list of accounts to shut down to AmEx and then AmEx sends out a boilerplate letter with the reason(s) why the account was shut down.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
You've drawn a computer flag for the round numbers.
What do you mean by round number? 10, 20, 50, 100, 200, 300 etc are all round numbers and those aren't creating flags.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You've drawn a computer flag for the round numbers. That's only one flag, and it's the computer...
You keep stating your speculation as fact. Why do you do that?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982
I don't like having money tied up in a place I don't trust. Remember those website issues last week? What if the site was down for a week and it was time to pay your CC bill?
Terrible argument to bring up. You trusted them enough to give them your personal information, but not enough to leave the money in the account a couple days? Sounds like you need to close that account before you leave a bad taste for Amex.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Gammachu
Terrible argument to bring up. You trusted them enough to give them your personal information, but not enough to leave the money in the account a couple days? Sounds like you need to close that account before you leave a bad taste for Amex.
holding personal information is different than holding money hostage, assuming they're holding the funds and wont return it.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982
I don't like having money tied up in a place I don't trust. Remember those website issues last week? What if the site was down for a week and it was time to pay your CC bill?
Don't MS/float money you can't afford to be without for a while.

Originally Posted by ibleed0range
You clearly don't understand the game. Billpay what you haven't spent? You spent money to load the card.
No, I understand the game just fine. I think you didn't understand my post.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
You keep stating your speculation as fact. Why do you do that?
Because I'm able to comprehend the OP's shutdown letter. The OP's letter clearly stated that the transaction numbers were a flag. But please, USE ROUND NUMBERS!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:25 pm

I thank the op for sharing this information with us, but I feel what I'm about to say needs emphasis. I have said it few times and someone mentioned it in this thread.
Common sense will get you far in this game.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by LWT3
While some people got shut down early, the whole thing died because too many people were using it to MS, and it cost Amazon too much money. Redbird is going to be the same way. It certainly makes sense to try to avoid the biggest of the red flags, but I wouldn't count on this lasting much longer no matter how you use it.
Originally Posted by gloobnib
FWIW - I've been doing big fat, round-number loads from literally week 1, and was one of the earliest to jump on the $2500 in a single CC swipe bandwagon. I've also been doing big, fat, account depleting bill pays within 1 week of the deposits.

I've yet to receive a shutdown notice.

Maybe I'm tempting fate by posting this, but ....
Originally Posted by NoonRadar
Regardless, using the REDcard recklessly is stupid (sorry for being blunt). This is a very generous MS vehicle, with just one Redbird you can make $100/month by simply loading and doing billpay for the 2% cards like Citi doublecash, not do mention the 5% venues, scarce as they are. Be content with that and don't suck it dry on an ATM, don't deposit the bulk of it into your checking acct etc.

Basically, use common sense and have at least minimal impulse control. This is for YOUR OWN good, not mine/ours/others.
Sorry Noon but I disagree. You don't know if this will get shutdown tomorrow nationwide so tippy-toeing around and loading $453.69 like an insane person is, well, insane. I've been loading 2500 in a single swipe for 6 months now and taking out the $ right after to Bill Pay, and even took out cash at the beginning to test it out, at the same Target that I loaded. Some people don't have time to visit Target 5 times in a month for ~$100 in card benefits. I sure don't and if I did have the time it's not worth it for me. I do RC because it takes 2 visits a month and I can get my bonuses with minimal effort. I would PayPal someone $5000 if this wasn't available so dealing with what ifs and taking the time to be paranoid when it could have no impact on future use is out of the question.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Yawn........MS opportunities come and go and RedBird is no different. Time to just move along to the next opportunity.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:30 pm

Outside blog shutdown letters (2) plus response #10.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....bird-accounts/

All mention round numbers as one reason why the account was shut down. For those of you who want to continue to use round numbers and quickly unload your loads, I encourage that behavior. You're the low hanging fruit that will divert Target's attention for a couple more months.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:35 pm

All mention round numbers as one reason why the account was shut down. For those of you who want to continue to use round numbers and quickly unload your loads, I encourage that behavior. You're the low hanging fruit that will divert Target's attention for a couple more months.
I approved this message x1000000!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios

Originally Posted by Gammachu
I approved this message x1000000!
You are doing risk control and that is fine. Some people don't care enough about this MS method to do all the things that you do, priorities are just different, that does not mean it is not what is right for them. And there is still a chance it all gets shutdown at once, so none of this matters. OR the people who do paranoid penny loads are the ones who are doing other, less risky behavior and the combination of actions is what really gets you shutdown.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by starbuk
I do RC because it takes 2 visits a month and I can get my bonuses with minimal effort. I would PayPal someone $5000 if this wasn't available so dealing with what ifs and taking the time to be paranoid when it could have no impact on future use is out of the question.
The shutdowns likely do/will happen because:
1st - The computer flagged an account based on some flags or algorithms
2nd - A human looked at the account and decided that it indeed needed to be trashed

We as people also have our own algorithms, i.e. risk and reward, so of course we're not all going to behave the same.

No one can guarantee their account wont be shut down, but generally speaking I see the risk takers as a shield for the rest of us more cautious ones, for as long as Redbird (other vehicles) last. To that end, I say more power to you/them =)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.