Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Comments on moderation ARE NOT allowed !
Print Wikipost

RIP Redbird... Fun while it lasted

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:16 am

In light of the recent emails that indicate Redbird accounts will be closed, I'm curious… I currently have a Serve and a couple BlueBirds. I opened up a RedBird and made the initial $1,500 load. I'm still waiting for the permanent RedBird and planned to convert both BlueBirds and Serve to RedBirds… but now I've placed the conversion plan are on hold.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO: DITCH SERVE / BLUEBIRD, or DITCH REDBIRD?

I'm especially tempted to close the RedBird and convert it to a SoftServe since those accounts with the higher limits will likely be unavailable after March 31, 2015. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:45 am

I just read 17 pages of posts and was surprised that this hasn't been mentioned. This card is supposedly targeted at the under-banked/ under-funded crowd. Most that fall into that demographic do not have $2500 to load one day and then another $2500 to load the next day so that they can "get their loads over with for the month". More likely they will wander in and load $300 (yes a "round number") when they get paid, buy a few groceries, then go home and maybe pay a few bills. They probably aren't paying off a bunch of credit cards, because if they are under-banked, they probably don't have any. They probably do this a few times a month when they get paid, not on consecutive days. Now obviously, it wouldn't be a profitable MS vehicle if we followed that model and only loaded a few hundred, but a little common sense goes a long way. If Amex wanted us loading $2500 a day, they wouldn't have put a $1000 per transaction cap. I don't think they intended for people to use a work around and load $1000/$1000/$500 right after the other or $750/$750/$1000. Those are the "even numbers" being mentioned because it is obvious that you are doing 3 loads to get to the maximum $2500 a day. Nobody has mentioned getting shutdown for loading $300 one day, and $400 the next week etc. I really don't think that it has anything to do with even numbers, and Amex doesn't even say that in the e-mail, they mention specific $ amounts that just happen to be even. As many have mentioned, it would make no sense for people that are using this for intended purposes to load odd numbers. Are they counting out their every last penny on the counter? Odd numbers were brought up in the other thread to make it not as obvious to the cc company that you were using to load. It was usually suggested to throw in a pack of gum so that all the even numbers wouldn't look suspicious to chase etc. It had nothing to do with looking suspicious to Amex. Just give a little thought to how things look on paper and it should be easy to fly under the radar a bit longer. For instance, how would it make any sense that you make a $2500 "cash" load at the register, then within 5 minutes stop and pull it all out of the ATM, or pay a bill that just happens to be exactly $2500. IDK about everyone else, but my bills are never clean even numbers. Instead of trying to get your loads over with by the 2nd of the month, maybe use a little common sense and try to work smaller loads in throughout the month when you are out running errands. Does it mean a few extra trips during the month? Yes, but that might be the price needed to keep your account alive a little longer.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:47 am

Hoax lol
Old Mar 5, 2015, 4:18 am
Suspended

So let's say you deposit $995.00 in your RB. Couldn't then you billpay out $994.99 so that your money is out but it also avoids the algorithm since your account still has a balance the withdrawal amount doesn't match the deposit amount?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 4:26 am
Suspended

Uh oh. Went to do a BP this morning and it says "Technical difficulties." Wonder if my account has been flagged but haven't received the email yet?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 4:41 am

So, when does the class action lawsuit start?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Uh oh. Went to do a BP this morning and it says "Technical difficulties." Wonder if my account has been flagged but haven't received the email yet?
me too, anyone not getting this message?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by kissthesky
me too, anyone not getting this message?
Just logged in to both mine and my wife's account with no problem.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Mine is still fine.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:16 am

No problems logging in for me.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:21 am

Programs: SPG, A+, SW RR, 2x cash
logged fine here as well.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by takeoffwithmiles
After comparing the image with other emails from REDcard.

I would have expected "Has" instead of "has" in the subject line (based on the other emails with the subject "Your Payment Request Has Been Sent")

Signature does not look right, "Target REDcard by American Express Fraud Protection Team" . (REDcard is offered by American Express, but not their Fraud Protection Team alone.)

Every email so far has some sort of ID at the end.

This analysis may be wrong, as this may be the first email composed by Amex.
The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to think this is a hoax. One of the things I can't get around is the "Target REDcard by American Express Fraud Protection Team". The fraud protection team doesn't own the card. I also think it's weird that they would tell you what you've been shutdown for. I would assume they'd just say something like "By analyzing your account, we have found that you are violating the terms and conditions of this card." Couple this on top of the fact that it would be insanely easy to forge an e-mail with some basic HTML knowledge and a browser that lets you edit it on the fly.... doesn't seem right.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:23 am

gullible people... 100% sure that the email was created by a troll. quit speculating and do business as usual. Trust me... I know a guy that knows a guy at Target who knows a guy at Amex that went to school with a guy that works in Fraud Prevention. Again, business as usual.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:28 am

Programs: SPG Gold, SW Companion Pass, Hilton Gold
I think it's weird that no one who has been shutdown has continued to comment in the thread. Also, no one who has been shut down has been able to show a screenshot of their log-in process on the REDcard website (which has been asked a few times now). Also, no one who has been shutdown has shown any desire to prove the legitimacy. I am not ready to call this a complete hoax but I am very skeptical at this point.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Hecta
I think it's weird that no one who has been shutdown has continued to comment in the thread. Also, no one who has been shut down has been able to show a screenshot of their log-in process on the REDcard website (which has been asked a few times now). Also, no one who has been shutdown has shown any desire to prove the legitimacy. I am not ready to call this a complete hoax but I am very skeptical at this point.
Why even bother to stress and be skeptical when in your heart, you know this is a hoax?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.