Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ed765
This thread has begun a new tradition of annual master threads, this one on Visa Buxx. The previous 2003- 2014 megathread is here.

tcook052
MS Forum Moderator

Buxx cards can only be loaded with a Visa or MasterCard.

NW Buxx

•Initial purchase fee: $5 (waived with promo code: 02050053 - ( the promo code appears to be working consistently)
•$2 load fee
•Max load per rolling 7 days: $500
•Max load per rolling 30 days: $1,000
•Max ATM per week: ($200 - but only if specifically enabled online, including PIN setup). No fee for some Allpoint ATMs (no way to know in advance if the Allpoint ATM will ding you $1; check your account carefully and call if necessary to reverse the $1 charge…IME 2/3 Allpoint ATMs do charge the fee).
•Max spend per rolling 7 days: $800
•Max # of CC on file is 2.
•Max balance per card: $1000
•Max of 2 loads per CC per 7 day rolling period.

If you card fails to load, check to see if there are at least 7 calendar days between loads, make sure the load won't bring your card above the maximum balance, or try the other CC.

Funding with Citi cards codes as a purchase for NW Buxx.
TD Bank Go Buxx

•Can only be loaded with TD Bank credit cards, debit cards or direct deposit
•Initial purchase fee: $4.95 + $1 load fee
•Max load per day: $500
•Max load per 7 days: $2,000
•Max load per rolling 30 days: $3,000
•Max per ATM withdraw: $60/week. (No fee at TD Bank.)
•Max balance: $2,000
•Max transactions: no limit
•Max load per funding TD CC (across multiple teens): $6,000 per 30 days

Limits are per teen card, not per master account

TD Bank card loads are treated as purchases by TD Bank and earn points.

Cannot be used to pay CITI or Capital One cards by phone.

States not supported: AL, AK, AS, AZ, AR, CA, CO, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, MP, OH, OK, OR, PW, PR, SD, TN, TX, UT, VI, WA, WV, WI, WY

USPS MOs count against the ATM withdrawal limit.

Do not create too many accounts too fast. Some reports of account shutdown when same SSN used across multiple cards / accounts in a short period of time.

USB Buxx (closed)

USB BUXX is closed:
Last day to load was Oct 24th, 2015.
Last day to use or withdraw all funds Dec 30th.
Cards closed Dec 31st
Transaction History available through 6/30/16

(NOTE: stopped taking new applications ~mid February 2014 through the official link.

Print Wikipost

VISA Buxx (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by ed765
I tried using my TD Buxx to pay CITI by phone,and the CITI US representative could not make it work.

I had earlier reported the TD Bank Buxx could not be used to pay Capital One, and after much wasted time was told by their representative that it could not be used to pay other cards.

This goes against their advertised claim that it could be used wherever VISA is accepted.

Unless someone reports a different experience, I will probably add to the Wiki that this BUXX can not be used to pay other cards off by phone.
According to the wiki in this thread , the TD Buxx card hasn't worked for Citi payments since early this year.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by aarif1
According to the wiki in this thread , the TD Buxx card hasn't worked for Citi payments since early this year.
Thanks. I was unaware of that thread.

My experience confirms this and also that it cannot be used for Capital One payments, and that their CSR claims this is policy. Combined with the limitations on ATM withdrawals, this implies the TD Bank Buxx is primarily useful for those who wish to control another's (often a teenager) spending, or similar uses.

While you can earn points on TD cards from loading this BUXX, these are the same points that could be earned by using the TD Bank card itself. One may get the points earlier by by loading the Buxx card, but this is seldom wise.

The obvious exception is where one is trying to spend a certain amount by a deadline (to get the bonus on a new card typically, or to have enough points for a trip on a travel card). In this case, one can store funds on the Buxx, and then spend it on ordinary items. For instance, TD Bank has an offer out where 20,000 points is earned after $1500 in spending in three months, and this spending could be achieved by three $500 loads on successive days.

There is also an Aeroplan Card offer with 25,000 miles after spending $1,000, and somebody in a hurry to get enough miles for a particular trip might place funds on the TD Buxx card, and then spend them later.

Last edited by ed765; Dec 29, 2015 at 10:16 am
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:03 am

My experience confirms this and also that it cannot be used for Capital One payments, and that their CSR claims this is policy. Combined with the limitations on ATM withdrawals, this implies the TD Bank Buxx is primarily useful for those who wish to control another's spending (often a teenager), or similar uses.

While you can earn points on TD cards from loading this BUXX, these are the same points that could be earned by using the TD Bank card itself. One may get the points earlier by by a deadline loading the Buxx card, but this is seldom wise. The obvious exception is where one is trying to spend a certain amount by a deadline (to get the bonus on a new card typically, or to have enough points for a trip on a travel card). In this case, one can store funds on the Buxx, and then spend it as needed.
Or you could just say this card is useless.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 5:38 pm

Is there some sort of lag time in activation with NW Buxx? I received and, I thought, activated my two cards via the automated phone system on Sunday night, but the 'teens' do not show up on my parent buxx account under Manage Teens, and neither card appears to be usable for purchases (at least ones that require pins, I did not try running them as credit). There is a note about recently added cardholders not showing up until application processing is complete, but I'm not sure what that entails.

The whole system seems kind of rickety, but it is also possible I screwed up somewhere along the line too.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 5:45 pm

Programs: Southwest, SPG, IHG
Originally Posted by Deceasedhorse
Is there some sort of lag time in activation with NW Buxx? I received and, I thought, activated my two cards via the automated phone system on Sunday night, but the 'teens' do not show up on my parent buxx account under Manage Teens, and neither card appears to be usable for purchases (at least ones that require pins, I did not try running them as credit). There is a note about recently added cardholders not showing up until application processing is complete, but I'm not sure what that entails.

The whole system seems kind of rickety, but it is also possible I screwed up somewhere along the line too.
Are you sure you are looking at the correct account? Mine show up immediately after ordering (say a day after so), and they are ready to use the moment they're activated. Don't call CSR just yet, wait a couple of days and review your account...
Old Dec 29, 2015, 5:54 pm

I've never activated one by phone. I go to the login page and click "Activate my card" in the upper lefthand corner.

I'm confused about your cards not showing up... when you ordered the cards did they not instantly appear?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 7:29 pm

Nvm found my answer

Last edited by greatname; Dec 29, 2015 at 7:35 pm
Old Dec 29, 2015, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by shan23
Are you sure you are looking at the correct account? Mine show up immediately after ordering (say a day after so), and they are ready to use the moment they're activated. Don't call CSR just yet, wait a couple of days and review your account...
My cards did not show up on the parent account prior to arrival, although I was not monitoring the account closely (I ordered on the 8th and was traveling for the holidays).

It's quite odd; on the account summary/ Manage Teens page, it lists no teens at all when I log in using my I believe is my parent username.

Attempting to activate the cards using the card number returns a message indicating that the card is already active and to log in with my password, which I do not have-it's not either the parent account password nor the phone banking pin I set up.

I cannot reset the password for the teen cards either, as it requires me to provide an email address, which I never set up (and trying it with the parent account email does not work either).

I don't plan on contacting customer service as it would be immediately obvious to a human that the teens are fictitious. Fortunately, I only loaded the minimum amount, but still.

edit: the automated phone system says I have a $20 balance. I can apparently load via the phone, although that's not much use if I can't use the debit card it. Maybe I'll experiment with running it as credit and at least get my initial deposit out.

edit 2: yup, can liquidate by running the cards as credit, so at least I'm not out any money at the end of the day.

Last edited by Deceasedhorse; Dec 29, 2015 at 8:55 pm Reason: update
Old Dec 29, 2015, 11:33 pm

Programs: Southwest, SPG, IHG
My cards did not show up on the parent account prior to arrival, although I was not monitoring the account closely (I ordered on the 8th and was traveling for the holidays).

It's quite odd; on the account summary/ Manage Teens page, it lists no teens at all when I log in using my I believe is my parent username.

Attempting to activate the cards using the card number returns a message indicating that the card is already active and to log in with my password, which I do not have-it's not either the parent account password nor the phone banking pin I set up.

I cannot reset the password for the teen cards either, as it requires me to provide an email address, which I never set up (and trying it with the parent account email does not work either).

I don't plan on contacting customer service as it would be immediately obvious to a human that the teens are fictitious. Fortunately, I only loaded the minimum amount, but still.

edit: the automated phone system says I have a $20 balance. I can apparently load via the phone, although that's not much use if I can't use the debit card it. Maybe I'll experiment with running it as credit and at least get my initial deposit out.

edit 2: yup, can liquidate by running the cards as credit, so at least I'm not out any money at the end of the day.
Great, you have got your money out. I recommend starting a new parent account, and then getting 3 more cards (with a decent interval between them, say couple of weeks) out before you hit your address limit!
Old Dec 30, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver

My experience confirms this and also that it cannot be used for Capital One payments, and that their CSR claims this is policy. Combined with the limitations on ATM withdrawals, this implies the TD Bank Buxx is primarily useful for those who wish to control another's (often a teenager) spending, or similar uses.

While you can earn points on TD cards from loading this BUXX, these are the same points that could be earned by using the TD Bank card itself. One may get the points earlier by by loading the Buxx card, but this is seldom wise.
You know, even if you weren't aware of the other thread, if you had bothered searching *this* thread or even reading back a bit, you'd have found that I attempted to pay my Citi card with the TD Buxx in October and reported it didn't work.

I personally find the card useful for MS. Saying "these are the same points that could be earned by using the TD Bank card itself" is true of any credit card - the point of MS is to earn *additional* points.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
For NW Buxx, is there any problem with constantly changing the credit cards you're loading with?
Old Dec 30, 2015, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by gizayabasu
For NW Buxx, is there any problem with constantly changing the credit cards you're loading with?
Read the thread.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by thisguyoverhere
Read the thread.
Did read the thread, not sure if I saw any guidelines for the NW Buxx specifically, just possible warnings against changing it. So I was wondering how safe it was to change it and if there were any instances where changing too often led to any negative repercussions.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by gizayabasu
Did read the thread, not sure if I saw any guidelines for the NW Buxx specifically, just possible warnings against changing it. So I was wondering how safe it was to change it and if there were any instances where changing too often led to any negative repercussions.
Ah yes, the difference between FT, and MS Saturday...
Old Dec 31, 2015, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by PHLisa
You know, even if you weren't aware of the other thread, if you had bothered searching *this* thread or even reading back a bit, you'd have found that I attempted to pay my Citi card with the TD Buxx in October and reported it didn't work.

I personally find the card useful for MS. Saying "these are the same points that could be earned by using the TD Bank card itself" is true of any credit card - the point of MS is to earn *additional* points.
Perhaps you would be willing to say how you use the card for manufactured spending, or possibly use a PM (especially since it has been argued that this card is basically useless). It appears unloading by phone payments is not available, and unless you regularly need cash and their ATM's are very convenient, unloading via ATM at $60 per week is not worth the trouble.

Last edited by ed765; Dec 31, 2015 at 10:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.