Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoonRadar

Nov 24, 2015

Dear XXXXXXXXX,

We want to let you know that we are making a change to your Target Prepaid REDcard® by American Express, and you will no longer be able to add money from your debit card at Target stores. As always, you can continue to add money to your Prepaid REDcard by using:

• Your debit card online through your Account
• Cash at a Target Store
• Direct Deposit (You can automatically add all or part of your paycheck, government benefits and federal tax refunds to your Prepaid REDcard)

DEAD FOR DEBIT CARD LOADS EFFECTIVE 10/12/2015 - MEMO: http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...uests-can-use/

DEAD FOR CREDIT CARD LOADS. (Amex GCs Included)

Effective May 6, 2015 registers are hard-coded to not allow credit card reload. PIN-based debit cards are working, however YMMV. PIN-based debit cards may be refused by cashiers.

WHAT IS TARGET PREPAID REDCARD?
Prepaid Redcard is a reloadable American Express card. It is only available to purchase at select Target stores.

This site may error when in Firefox, especially with adding payees / bill pay. Customer service says to use Chrome or Internet Explorer.
    https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

PREPAID REDCARD LOAD LIMITS
    Cash (or debit card) loading at Target: ** - $1,000/transaction, $2,500/day and $5,000/month
    Online Debit Card Load * - $200/day and $1,000/month
    Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
    Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
    ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

All "Monthly" limits are per calendar month and reset on the 1st of each month.
    Daily limits reset at midnight Eastern time, 9 PM Pacific time.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt.

ATM Withdrawals:
    No-fee ATM usage at US Target stores* and U.S. Allpoint network ATMs. (ATM usage not available at any other ATMs.) Find an Allpoint ATM at: www.allpointnetwork.com Note that some ATMs only allow $400/transaction. There is a $750/day and $2,000/month limit to ATM withdrawals.

RedCard is only available in specific Target stores and is not available in all states. Go to this site to find a list of available locations:https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
    Q: Can I reload a RB at a Target that doesn't sell RB?
    Yes. However, the cashier may not know how to do it. You may be able to coach them through it by saying "It's like reloading a Starbucks (or Gift) card". For step-by-step instructions on one method of 'coaching' new cashiers see Post#1904

Q: Can I buy or reload a RB in North Carolina?
    See post here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...a-63.html#2520
    There is currently a software issue preventing any reload of any kind in NC. It is a known issue but there is no ETA on a fix.

Q: Can I reload the RB at any register, or just at the Customer Service desk?
    It can be done at any register, however some cashiers are not trained on how to do this and you may have to go to Customer Service.

Q: What is the most efficient way to drain a RedCard?
    Use BillPay to pay bills. For example, pay the credit card you used to load RedCard with. You can also withdraw money at ATMs.

Q: I cant access the BillPay feature through the RB website!
    Verify that your account information correctly reflects a 10-digit phone number (including area code). Numerous people have reported that their account only had a 7-digit phone number (no area code) and that, after updating to a 10-digit phone number, BillPay miraculously started working.

Q: Can we buy a temporary Redbird card while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    Yes.

Q: How many Redbird cards can you purchase at once?
    You can only purchase one Redbird card a day per SSN. If you plan to purchase more than one, be sure to use a different SSN for each purchase to avoid activation issues.

Q: Can we register our temporary Redbird online while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    No. You will have to cancel your Bluebird or Serve account first before registering.

Q: How do I cancel my BlueBird or Serve Account online? Do I need to call them?
    Frequent Miler posted a useful trick that will help you cancel online How to cancel Bluebird online This works for both BlueBird and Serve.

Q: Cancelled Bluebird, why does registering Redbird error out saying Bluebird is still active?
    If you have open transactions that have not been settled, like BillPay checks that have not yet been cashed, the account cannot settle and will not be truly closed. Thus Target will reject it until it's permanently closed.

Q: Can we get Redbird online?
    No. The only way to get Redbird is to find a participating Target store and buy a temporary card there. Some people have purchased RB on Ebay, Amazon, or through private deals. Be aware that doing so may violate the TOS of one or more of these services. Also be aware that buying an un-activated RB, you are potentially buying "stolen" merchandise; the seller *may* have simply taken the un-activated RB cards from a target store without permission. At best they got permission from a low-level employee; they certainly are not getting permission from someone authorized to allow sale of RB outside of the current Target-authorized roll out markets. It is highly recommended to only buy already activated Redbirds because many Targets which do not offer Redbirds also will not be able to activate them and you will spend a month with the Customer Service line trying to get a new one.

Q: Does the initial load you put in when purchasing the Redbird count against the monthly limit?
    No. After registering the Redbird online, any loads done will count against your monthly limit, even on your temp card.

Q: Can we load Redbird with Target gift cards at Target?NO.
    When loading, the register displays a large message saying that gift cards cannot be used to pay for this transaction.

Q: What are the card’s load limits per transaction at Target?
    [B]As of 2/2/2015 there is a maximum $1,000 load per transaction. You can no longer load the same RB multiple times (multiple swipes) in 1 transaction. Likewise, you can no longer load multiple RBs (say your's and your spouse's) in 1 transaction. Maximum of 1 load, for $1,000 per debit card payment. End of story.

Q: What credit cards can I use to reload RedCard in Target stores?
    NONE. As of May 6, 2015, credit cards cannot be used to reload.

Q: Can I reload with a debit card?
    Yes, but only if the debit card can be authenticated with PIN-number. Signature-based debit that processes on the Visa/MasterCard/AmEx networks will NOT work.

Q: Can I reload with a prepaid debit card or Vanilla Visa?
    Yes, but only if you have a PIN for that card.

Q: How can I load 2 debit cards in one transaction? Example 2x$500.
    1. Swipe debit card on my terminal after total comes up $1000.
    2. PIN pad comes up. Enter 4 digit PIN.
    3. Do you want cash back? press NO
    4. Do you want full amount on this card? press NO <<<Note: I pressed YES and did not have a step 5. - PHLisa
    5. Cashier reads something on register, asks how much on this card. $500. They push something to continue.
    6. Swipe card #2. Enter PIN
    7. Repeat 3 to 5. Total: 0.00
    8. Receipt prints. Thank cashier. The end.
    (thanks to Mamibear)

Q: Can someone else buy a Redbird card for you?
    Yes. When you buy a temp Redbird card at Target, you have to give them your drivers license info, your SSN (can be any set of numbers, does not need to be real), birthdate, and more. Then, you have to register the card online in order to get a permanent card. In the process of registering online, they ask for the birthday of the original buyer on the first screen, but you can put your own and it will still work. Either way, you can still change the details on the following screens. I did this for my wife. I bought the card at Target and used my own driver’s license, SSN, etc. But, when I got home, I registered the card to my wife. I can’t promise this will work for everyone, but it worked for me.

Q: Can you reload Serve/Bluebird at Target?
    No.

Q: How do I contact Target's support team to resolve an issue with my RedCard?
    Call Target's Prepaid Resolution Team, their direct telephone number is 800 438 6468 (open from 8AM to 430PM MST).

Q: Can you have both Redbird and AFT cards?
    Yes.
    You can have both Redbird and AFT since they are independent products.

Q: I got a "Pending" notice that the registration is being reviewed, what now?
    Add [email protected] to your address book, and check your spam folder for an email about it. You can also call in. They will need images or faxes of:
    • Social Security Documentation (must clearly show full 9 digit Social Security Number). Choose 1 of the following options:
    ◦ Social Security Card, OR
    ◦ A Medicare insurance card
    Plus...
    • Picture ID
    ◦ A valid driver's license card OR
    ◦ A valid state issued ID OR
    ◦ A valid United States Government ID Card (e.g. Green Card) OR
    ◦ A valid United States Passport (photo page only)

Secure Document Upload
    Here's the link to upload secure documents to REDcard: https://secure.prepaidredcard.com/User/SecureFileUpload
    Print Wikipost

Prepaid REDcard (Target) 2015-2016

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
    There seems to be a limit as to how many cards in total one person can buy using the same drivers license number.
    With my ID, I have bought 5 cards for myself (which I registered for family members), 4 for a friend a California, and one for a friend in Florida. That makes 10.
    Today I went to buy another, and I was declined using my ID. It was not a load issue, as I had previously loaded a personal card with an SPG AMEX Business.
    Manager was very nice and helpful. We tried scanning a different redbird card, and tried to load with my AMEX Platinum, SPG AMEX personal, and Chase Sapphire, and it refused
    all.
    Decline came as soon as my drivers license was scanned.

So buyers beware.

This was central Virginia.
    Old Feb 28, 2015, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by SpootyPuff
    Anyone M$ with the Fidelity AMEX ?

earning 2% worldpoints or $ that goes to a brokerage/retirement acct

I've only found few posts on it and some mention the card transacting as a cash adv. as opposed to a purchase.
    Why are you posting such a lie? There has been zero reports here of any loads posting as CA. Please do post a link of your findings to share with us. I'm tired of hearing the same excuses "oh I read it somewhere but forgot where"
    Old Feb 28, 2015, 4:25 pm

I hate to say this but the way things are moving I am pretty sure this gold mine in going to dry out in the month of March. It is just not feasible for Target to absorb so much losses. I really wish I am wrong.
    Old Feb 28, 2015, 5:03 pm

Damn I dunno if I should head out and try it tonight .. Never did it before .. Have 2700 more to spend on my platinum for bonus
    Old Feb 28, 2015, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Gammachu
    Why are you posting such a lie? There has been zero reports here of any loads posting as CA. Please do post a link of your findings to share with us. I'm tired of hearing the same excuses "oh I read it somewhere but forgot where"
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...h-advance.html
    Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA, USairways, HH, Marriott
    I still dont' know where my 1k load went...

Good to see most of you likely have recent load issue solved. But here is mine and I am still in trouble:

1. Loaded 1K with my credit card at my local store on Wednesday. Printed the error receipt probably everyone in this thread has known by now.
    2. The manager tried to void the transaction but failed.
    3. After 2 days, the transaction posted in my credit card account.
    4. So far (over 72 hrs now), I don't see a refund on my credit card, nor a corrected load transaction on my Redcard account.

Anyone in the same situation as mine? What's your suggestion? Dispute, talk to RB or Target representatives? Thanks.
    Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:17 pm

I think nation wide roll out has started. Last month I bought mine in Charleston,SC when I drove thru it. Today, I'm seeing the red cards at my local target in columbia
    Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:26 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
    Originally Posted by maulah
    I hate to say this but the way things are moving I am pretty sure this gold mine in going to dry out in the month of March. It is just not feasible for Target to absorb so much losses. I really wish I am wrong.
    All they need to do is require the name on the card to match the name on the ID. That would cut down a significant amount of MS.
    Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by frugalman
    Good to see most of you likely have recent load issue solved. But here is mine and I am still in trouble:

1. Loaded 1K with my credit card at my local store on Wednesday. Printed the error receipt probably everyone in this thread has known by now.
    4. So far (over 72 hrs now), I don't see a refund on my credit card, nor a corrected load transaction on my Redcard account.

Anyone in the same situation as mine? What's your suggestion? Dispute, talk to RB or Target representatives? Thanks.
    I'm in a similar situation except the funds were posted to my redbird account for approximately one hour then were taken out. I'm waiting until Monday but will have no choice but to dispute with my CC if my money is not returned by then. I've called Amex many times regarding this issue and they refuse to accept responsibility or offer any resolution, they blame Target. Target tells me they can't return my money and to contact Amex.
    Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: SW, AA, US, Hyt, Hil, Mar
    Not true. I loaded 1k my fidelity AMEX 2% on 2/24.

Recent transactions shows;
    Transaction type: Purchases
    Merchant description: DISCOUNT STORES
    Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA, AA, USairways, HH, Marriott
    Originally Posted by monkeywrencher
    I'm in a similar situation except the funds were posted to my redbird account for approximately one hour then were taken out. I'm waiting until Monday but will have no choice but to dispute with my CC if my money is not returned by then. I've called Amex many times regarding this issue and they refuse to accept responsibility or offer any resolution, they blame Target. Target tells me they can't return my money and to contact Amex.
    Thanks for the data point. You mean you see two transaction right now: one load and one reverse (deduct)? I see nothing as if it had never happened...

Luckly at least I have the paper receipt and also the credit card transaction. I am planning to wait until next Wednesday. If they (BTW, I don't know who exactly "they" are) can't solve this, I have to dispute too. But never dispute anything before. Really hate to do so for such a reason.
    Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:21 pm

Programs: National Executive, HH Silver, A-List WN
    Has anyone ever gotten a "load too little" error? I got one when trying to load 500.00 and I increased the amount and it still didn't go through. I dropped it back to the original 500.00 and finally it went through.
    Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:56 pm

Thanks for the data point. You mean you see two transaction right now: one load and one reverse (deduct)? I see nothing as if it had never happened...

Luckly at least I have the paper receipt and also the credit card transaction. I am planning to wait until next Wednesday. If they (BTW, I don't know who exactly "they" are) can't solve this, I have to dispute too. But never dispute anything before. Really hate to do so for such a reason.
    I went to Target to load before I read about any of the problems here. When I loaded I got the same balance N/A receipt everyone has been talking about except in my case the cashier was the one who noticed it first and called the manager over. The employees at my local Target tried to immediately void the transaction but could not. The manager went as far as to call someone at corporate to try and void the transaction on the scene but the Target manager ultimately ended up on hold with Amex. Amex indicated they had no record of any load and that this was a Target issue. The Target manager wanted to void the transaction but simply could not.

At first I figured this was an IT issue that would work itself out fairly quickly so I went home. About 3-4 hours after the attempted load I logged into my online account and saw the funds had been added. I immediately did a billpay on the funds in case there were further issues. Well there were further issues about 2-3 hours later I got a notice that my account now had a negative $1k balance and that I needed to make arrangements to pay Amex back for the deficiency. My online account shows the reason for the negative balance is a "reload reversal" which on the online account appears to have occurred before the billpay but in fact did not.

Over the next two days I had many calls to Amex about the missing load and while Amex advised there were widespread issues, they refused to take any responsibility and placed blame on Target. Amex repeatedly refused to place the money back in my account. I was at one point given a ticket number but on subsequent calls the CSRs had no record of any ticket or investigation into my missing funds. Target (Corporate) similarly denies responsibility and claims Amex has my money. Target (local) wants to help but has no authority.

In all of my calls with Amex the fact that the money was taken from my account and the charge posted was brought up many times. The words "credit card" were never brought up by Amex nor myself. I'm surprised to read all of these reports here about credit cards not being allowed. Unfortunately, I've had to speak to many Amex CSRs and while the incompetence is great none have brought up the subject of credit card loading.

Now 3 days later my billpay did post but my redbird account has a negative balance and I've been effectively shutdown.

Last edited by monkeywrencher; Feb 28, 2015 at 8:01 pm
    Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:06 pm

Hi folks--

This may be in flux, and I understand from the wiki the the multiple swipe / single transaction load method for $2,500 daily is no longer possible. I understand that we must load $1,000 in multiple transactions for a maximum of $2,500 daily.

I'm interested in how things go tomorrow for people, so I look forward to any reports that report any new changes for March 2015.

Good luck everyone!
    Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:07 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...

You are not the only one. I am in the same situation. Waiting for march to start loading the next $5,000 and see if the funds get credited to my account during the first 5 to 10 days. If not, talking to AMEX for Target in the USA (someone post the number in this thread and told how they solved a similar situation) and will fax him/her my failed receipt so that it can be resolved. I am not planning on starting a dispute with the bank unless no one at Amex can solve my problem.

Last edited by carlitos; Feb 28, 2015 at 8:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.