Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Apple Pay just changed the MS GAME!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2014, 9:55 pm

And then there's the mobile payment system CurrentC that Walmart, Target, CVS and others will be using:

"Walmart also confirmed to the WSJ that customers shopping at Walmart won’t be able to use Apple Pay.
Instead, both retailers are getting behind a mobile technology group that’s owned by retailers, called the Merchant Customer Exchange. MCX is in turn launching a mobile wallet application called CurrentC coming in 2015, which will only require a software download instead of checkout scanners, and can be used on any phone." http://consumerist.com/2014/09/12/wa...-their-stores/

"CurrentC said it will link with customers' checking accounts, retailer gift cards and select merchant-branded debit and credit accounts but doesn't currently sync with traditional credit cards"

http://www.mcx.com/downloads/Merchan...d_09032014.pdf
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by mikeyb45
How many times have you taken your battery out of your iPhone to reboot it? Oh snap, I kid, I kid.

In all seriousness though, it's widely known that Apple has never been an innovative company, rather their focus has always been being the first company to do it right and focus on the user experience and industrial design - few would question that although not the first devices of their kind, the Macintosh computer, iPod, and iPhone revolutionized the way people interacted with their electronics. But it seems like since the loss of Steve Jobs, they're surviving on brand recognition and fanboys alone, much like, say, Harley Davidson. Which is good for people like me because I own a ton of stock in Apple and H-D, precisely for that reason - a loyal brand following is priceless because people can't even explain why they love their brand so much, they just do. It is the brand recognition, and that alone, which may make Apple Pay more successful than Softcard (especially since Isis was just starting to catch on and had to be scrapped).
good comments.. Apple makes stupid people feel like they are tech people... like people who drink Budweiser and support the GOP..

Just kidding
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:05 am

Apple Pay appears to just be a mere virtual mirror or your credit card. I'd rather use my plastic than my phone to buy stuff for MS purposes. It's easier that way!

Move on guys!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by agharaibeh
Apple Pay appears to just be a mere virtual mirror or your credit card. I'd rather use my plastic than my phone to buy stuff for MS purposes. It's easier that way!

Move on guys!
"move on guys"? Just because you don't like mobile payments?

Regardless of whether you like them or not, mobile payments will be the standard in the future. Target and Walmart are getting behind CurrentC and it will just continue. Since it's new technology, there may be many opportunities for MS as they are implementing it - especially as the competition heats up.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:14 am

such a misleading title of the thread.

Apple Pay as it is now will not change ONE LITTLE THING in the MS game.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by MaineCoon

+1
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:29 am

I think what people miss about Apple Pay is the long term goal here. They are entering a huge industry. They get a measly .15% of each swipe fee now - in exchange they offer encrypted transaction data while reducing the interaction time with the attendant.
But back to long term here - if you think about you it, you have Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express and a few others... My personal suspicion is that they will make a play to be come a new card issuer. Offer both the physical card and mobile option and then go after their 2.5% fee vs the .15%.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:39 am

+1000
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:44 am

deleted
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
With launch of ISIS(now Softcard) we saw pretty nice offers by CC issuers, like $200 from Serve-Amex, $300 from WF.

Methinks we could see another round of such in October on the thing launch. May be even on bigger scale.

I already observe warming up info for Apple Pay on WF, BoA sites...
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by pier11
With launch of ISIS(now Softcard) we saw pretty nice offers by CC issuers, like $200 from Serve-Amex, $300 from WF.

Methinks we could see another round of such in October on the thing launch. May be even on bigger scale.

I already observe warming up info for Apple Pay on WF, BoA sites...
wake me up when Apple comes out with promotions like Isis/WF and Isis/Serve.

until then it is totally useless in terms of MS.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by kingrat
good comments.. Apple makes stupid people feel like they are tech people... like people who drink Budweiser and support the GOP..

Just kidding
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:30 pm

wake me up when Apple comes out with promotions like Isis/WF and Isis/Serve.

until then it is totally useless in terms of MS.
+1
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by rabatt
And then there's the mobile payment system CurrentC that Walmart, Target, CVS and others will be using:

"Walmart also confirmed to the WSJ that customers shopping at Walmart won’t be able to use Apple Pay.
Instead, both retailers are getting behind a mobile technology group that’s owned by retailers, called the Merchant Customer Exchange. MCX is in turn launching a mobile wallet application called CurrentC coming in 2015, which will only require a software download instead of checkout scanners, and can be used on any phone." http://consumerist.com/2014/09/12/wa...-their-stores/

"CurrentC said it will link with customers' checking accounts, retailer gift cards and select merchant-branded debit and credit accounts but doesn't currently sync with traditional credit cards"

http://www.mcx.com/downloads/Merchan...d_09032014.pdf
What an awful name for what sounds like it will be an awful product. I don't see this thing finding much success.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by payeco
What an awful name for what sounds like it will be an awful product. I don't see this thing finding much success.
Those were my first thoughts exactly. CurrentC said they weren't taking traditional credit cards, so as to avoid the "controversial fees" associated with them. "Controversial" to whom?

I think it will bomb, because people who are willing to add an app to their phone for payment, probably are savvy enough to be using some sort of points/cash earning credit card to begin with and won't like not being able to use it.

However, there may be some good savings opportunities during their launch: like using store gift cards purchased somewhere else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.