Apple Pay just changed the MS GAME!

Old Sep 9, 2014, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
Smile Apple Pay just changed the MS GAME!

Walgreens is part of the Apple Pay network. Contactless payment. The cashier doesn't have to see the card or confirm your name. Now tell me that isn't great! There's also Bloomingdales, Macy's, McDonalds and more, but they don't contribute to the MS game.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Membersince2013
Walgreens is part of the Apple Pay network. Contactless payment. The cashier doesn't have to see the card or confirm your name. Now tell me that isn't great! There's also Bloomingdales, Macy's, McDonalds and more, but they don't contribute to the MS game.
What does that add to MS? Why do I care if WG wants to see my card to confirm my name?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Membersince2013
Except Walgreens isn't a big contributor to MS. And all they have to do is say cash only.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:01 pm

W is already participating in contactless payments and it means $1 off my purchase fees of OVs and PPMC so I use it for those transactions to get $1 on each card credited to my Serve account.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:04 pm

^^ maybe your Walgreens. However, this is the tip of the iceberg depending on who joins the new Apple alliance over the coming months and years.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:07 pm

WG will presumably update system so as to not allow Apple Pay to be used to purchase ice cream, etc. Not a game changer by any measure.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
W is already participating in contactless payments and it means $1 off my purchase fees of OVs and PPMC so I use it for those transactions to get $1 on each card credited to my Serve account.
btw, just to clarify, this $1 credit is part of the Softcard promo to give $1 credit for every $1 and up transaction using Serve-I UP TO $50 each month until Dec 31. If there's a competition, I am hoping Softcard will extend this promo indefinitely so I'll continue to enjoy my $50 credits from Softcard.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:10 pm

Right, all speculation until we see what will happen
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL GM, AmEx Plat, DL AmEx Plat, SPG Gold, National Exec
I came back to FT just to see what the discussion is going to be like on Apple Pay.

I'm curious about the possibilities. It's still very early but like some have already said, this has the potential to be biiiig.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
I'm not particularly optimistic about any real advantage this will bring to the MS game. While I don't mind being wrong, I don't expect any advantageous loopholes to last long at all, particularly with Apple involved. They're notorious for operational efficiencies and guarding the image of their brand. If they find any type of potential where they could be looked/acted upon negatively, they'll do something about it.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:38 pm

Apple Sheep will be happy
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: SAS Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
I'm not particularly optimistic about any real advantage this will bring to the MS game. While I don't mind being wrong, I don't expect any advantageous loopholes to last long at all, particularly with Apple involved. They're notorious for operational efficiencies and guarding the image of their brand. If they find any type of potential where they could be looked/acted upon negatively, they'll do something about it.
I tend to agree. I think there'll absolutely be "first mover" opportunities, but any long-term sustaining opportunities I'm more pessimistic about. I think Apple has thought through fraud quite extensively and unfortunately MS sometimes has the behaviors like it.

It'll be an interesting time though -- maybe even more so as competitors come on as well who may have thought it less through...
Old Sep 9, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
One question that was never officially answered regarding VRs at CVS was what actually killed it. Based on everything I read, my guess is that it was not MSers that killed it. Rather, my theory is that that the use of stolen cards and the resulting charge backs resulted in the shut down, maybe with an assist from money launders. The advantage Applepay brings is security. You need to have a registered Apple phone to use it and then it confirms your fingerprint before purchase. Seems like the security Apple built into the application would go a long way to preventing the criminals from using this app for reloads.

I have no idea if they will change anything and I think its unlikely CVS or anyone else will allow you to buy these cards again with credit cards through Applepay but I acknowledge it may be possible if, and only if, the main problem before was theft and the Applepay software makes it unproftiable for criminals to use stolen credit cards with Applepay.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 1:21 pm

Don't see how this is any different than softcard (isis)
Old Sep 9, 2014, 2:26 pm

Curious how the txn will be coded differently, if at all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.