Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Apple Pay just changed the MS GAME!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by payeco
Which disaster was that? As has already discussed in this thread the images that came from iCloud were the result of people breaking to to celebs accounts because they had weak passwords and/or security questions. iCloud was not compromised from a security standpoint. Some of the images were clearly not even taken on Apple devices, you can see they're using Android and Blackberries in the mirrors in the pictures themselves.
You are a serious fanboy... defend at all cost.. I like that! ^
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by kingrat
Defend at all cost? What he said was factually not true, it's not an opinion.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:18 pm

<Popcorn popping>

**Munch, munch, munch**
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tuppins
<Popcorn popping>

**Munch, munch, munch**
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kingrat
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
..until a hacker with a wireless reader sets up shop in an area were lots of people congregate and wirelessly steals the money from the credit cards loaded in the phone.
Besides, who wants an iPhone with the increasingly crappy iOS: full with bugs, slow WiFi, battery drains, freezes, etc.
And I am for sure NOT going to give them my fingerprints.
Actually from what I can tell, the way Apple Pay works is when you initiate a transaction it will create a one-time use number for the payment, NOT your actual credit card number.

So this is insanely secure comparatively, if a hacker were to steal the number it wouldn't make a difference because it already would have been eaten up by the store you were using it in.

Stealing your phone would still work of course, but given that they would have to use your fingerprint to get to your card anyways it makes this almost impossible to happen as well.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by workaccounttoday
Actually from what I can tell, the way Apple Pay works is when you initiate a transaction it will create a one-time use number for the payment, NOT your actual credit card number.

So this is insanely secure comparatively, if a hacker were to steal the number it wouldn't make a difference because it already would have been eaten up by the store you were using it in.

Stealing your phone would still work of course, but given that they would have to use your fingerprint to get to your card anyways it makes this almost impossible to happen as well.
Come on man, don't kill his irrationally anti-Apple narrative with facts and reason.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:53 pm

There weren't enough places on the internet to discuss the pros and cons of various smartphone platforms, I'm glad we're discussing it here.

Seriously, everyone should just accept that people's preferences will vary.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by workaccounttoday
And this could be very good for MS. Think returns. Today, when you return something retailers often want to credit back to the same card. They check receipt for the same last four digits. But if they don't have those last four digits, they can't know what card you paid with, and may just have to credit whatever card you claim was used. MS potential.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
And this could be very good for MS. Think returns. Today, when you return something retailers often want to credit back to the same card. They check receipt for the same last four digits. But if they don't have those last four digits, they can't know what card you paid with, and may just have to credit whatever card you claim was used. MS potential.
Some cards/banks will shut you down if they see refunds for amounts that differ from amounts of things you've purchase so this probably would not be a good idea.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by aarif1
There weren't enough places on the internet to discuss the pros and cons of various smartphone platforms, I'm glad we're discussing it here.

Seriously, everyone should just accept that people's preferences will vary.
But come on! It's so easy to pick on!!! $749 list price (one month's rent) for something that's obsolete by industry standards before it's even available?!?!?! I mean their "big" announcement is a bigger screen and a wannabe ISIS/Softcard clone three years after NFC came out for Android. Still haven't quite figured out how to support an SD card and a replaceable battery. And only 1G of RAM? ...?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
At this point of time I'd care less about NFC if not Softcard's promotions that've paid for my phone.
No help with MS for me.
Totally fine with plastic (+ID) / so are my stores.

Point to Apple to take: no incentive - no use.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 4:09 pm

Clearly what Apple Pay offers the banks is worth a cut of the profits to the banks. Otherwise, they wouldn't have agreed to those terms.

Also, what Apple Pay offers is not innovative in the sense that the technology has been there for a while. However, what Apple does have is a lot of pull with the other players, something Isis, Google Wallet, etc, don't have. I can already see a lot of the banks not in it calling Apple to join this venture. I'm sure Apple will be the market leader in this industry in no time, at least in the US.

You can hate or love Apple, but don't let your feelings make you blind to what's happening. I for one switched from Samsung to Apple, and I'm happy about it. My phone is never slow, never crashes, and does its work. I lost count of how many times I took out the plastic cap, and the battery out of my Galaxy whenever it froze. It was a very frustrating experience. Now, it was a Galaxy S1, so probably the latest versions of the phone are better. But I find it extremely hard to compete against a company that controls both the hardware and the software. Samsung doesn't have that competitive advantage. Android feels like a fragmented software.

But user experiences vary by individual. If you prefer Android, good for you. At this point, I'm happy with iOS. And the price of both platforms top phone is the same $200 with a 2 year contract, so no point in arguing about $.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by andres17
Clearly what Apple Pay offers the banks is worth a cut of the profits to the banks. Otherwise, they wouldn't have agreed to those terms.

Also, what Apple Pay offers is not innovative in the sense that the technology has been there for a while. However, what Apple does have is a lot of pull with the other players, something Isis, Google Wallet, etc, don't have. I can already see a lot of the banks not in it calling Apple to join this venture. I'm sure Apple will be the market leader in this industry in no time, at least in the US.

You can hate or love Apple, but don't let your feelings make you blind to what's happening. I for one switched from Samsung to Apple, and I'm happy about it. My phone is never slow, never crashes, and does its work. I lost count of how many times I took out the plastic cap, and the battery out of my Galaxy whenever it froze. It was a very frustrating experience. Now, it was a Galaxy S1, so probably the latest versions of the phone are better. But I find it extremely hard to compete against a company that controls both the hardware and the software. Samsung doesn't have that competitive advantage. Android feels like a fragmented software.

But user experiences vary by individual. If you prefer Android, good for you. At this point, I'm happy with iOS. And the price of both platforms top phone is the same $200 with a 2 year contract, so no point in arguing about $.
How many times have you taken your battery out of your iPhone to reboot it? Oh snap, I kid, I kid.

In all seriousness though, it's widely known that Apple has never been an innovative company, rather their focus has always been being the first company to do it right and focus on the user experience and industrial design - few would question that although not the first devices of their kind, the Macintosh computer, iPod, and iPhone revolutionized the way people interacted with their electronics. But it seems like since the loss of Steve Jobs, they're surviving on brand recognition and fanboys alone, much like, say, Harley Davidson. Which is good for people like me because I own a ton of stock in Apple and H-D, precisely for that reason - a loyal brand following is priceless because people can't even explain why they love their brand so much, they just do. It is the brand recognition, and that alone, which may make Apple Pay more successful than Softcard (especially since Isis was just starting to catch on and had to be scrapped).
Old Sep 12, 2014, 1:23 pm

Edit: NM

Last edited by sybloc; Sep 12, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.