Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Apple Pay just changed the MS GAME!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2014, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by stinger101
Photo streams are not set on by default. You have to enable it.
I just reset an iphone 4s back to factory settings to double check, and once I signed into icloud with a new ID, the default settings were:
photos on
photo stream on
photo sharing on
(and you had to click on photos to even see that there was a photo stream and photo sharing)
Old Sep 9, 2014, 9:19 pm

this technology will only be allowed for small purchases (coffee, lunch).

I predict that the business accepting payment wont allow it for anything over $10-$25 or so.

Same as the Visa PayWave.

This changes nothing.. and has virtually no effect on the MS game.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 9:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by KYBOSH
this technology will only be allowed for small purchases (coffee, lunch).

I predict that the business accepting payment wont allow it for anything over $10-$25 or so.

Same as the Visa PayWave.

This changes nothing.. and has virtually no effect on the MS game.
I don't think you can compare this with Visa PayWave. Tell a couple geeks they can't pay anything over X with their weird phone case and you can get away with it. Try telling the same thing to 40 million people trying to use the payment system backed by the most valuable company on earth. Probably not going to work.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 9:42 pm

The way I see it, this new payment method will lower fraud losses for CC companies. Probably it will be limited to "small" transactions, but in the future, the max. cap will be taken off (if it is a success). If the security is there, this will probably be useful for the MS game. Stores would be more willing to sell to customers paying with this technology.

At the very least, this may make choosing the right credit card per store easier. Maybe you can program what card to use at which merchant. That would be sweet. My wallet would get a lot thinner, and we all know we need more space on those for our GCs
Old Sep 9, 2014, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by rabatt
On an iphone Apple's Photo Stream is turned on by default, meaning all pictures go to the cloud. I would guess the vast majority of iphone users had the default settings until this story broke.

The sad thing that I have noticed on Flyertalk is the number of people who are savvy about MS, but pretty clueless when it comes to tech skills - especially those that pertain to privacy and tracking. Going forward, tech skills will be very crucial to MS, but I don't see too many people showing either knowledge or interest.

The iphone's payment system has potential, but the people who are going to do best are those that are tech savvy.
Sorry to break the bubble but you seem clueless than most here. No it's not set to Yes by default. You have to enable it on your iCloud account (once enabled it carries over the setting if you do backup/restore as this is linked to your icloud account and not device)

Jeez... do some reading next time before making false claims.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:28 pm

CVS takes softcard/ISIS.

Anyone tried buying VR with it?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by GeorgeMilesArnold
CVS takes softcard/ISIS.

Anyone tried buying VR with it?
Hard coded to cash only bro!! This means that when the transaction detects a card being swiped...guess what it flashes on their screen "Tender not allowed". Can't work around hard coded POS machines. Certainly haven't tried it myself but I am pretty sure its a No-Go.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 6:06 am

So I am going to use my phone to make a $500 or $2000 purchase - how will they verify my name on the card with my license to see if it matches?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 6:12 am

Programs: SW CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kingrat
So I am going to use my phone to make a $500 or $2000 purchase - how will they verify my name on the card with my license to see if it matches?
Using your FINGERPRINT to authorize the payment isn't enough?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by ftomasze
Using your FINGERPRINT to authorize the payment isn't enough?
I don't think so - I stopped using iphone a few years ago but is fingerprint mandatory to use or can it be disabled?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Since Apple pay Will be adopted in Apple stores, I tend to think that their system will have a max of more than $25 if at all
Old Sep 10, 2014, 8:24 am

.... all the WG in my area won't even let me buy more than one GC now. Stupid WG.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by lingzhou
ISIS have been doing the thing like apple pay for months, how does this change the MS
With the inclusion of Touch ID, only the owner of the phone can make purchases with ApplePay. Now, whether this will change how drugstores, etc, process large transactions remains to be seen. I've tried to use my amex blue's rf-id to pay for beans, and the last four numbers do not match the unique number generated using this payment method. Only swiping worked. Since we never get to see this unique number, large payments where the last four digits are required may not be possible.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by kingrat
I don't think so - I stopped using iphone a few years ago but is fingerprint mandatory to use or can it be disabled?
What makes you not "think so" besides your desire not to be wrong?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by coolblues
Sorry to break the bubble but you seem clueless than most here. No it's not set to Yes by default. You have to enable it on your iCloud account (once enabled it carries over the setting if you do backup/restore as this is linked to your icloud account and not device)

Jeez... do some reading next time before making false claims.
Besides testing it out in my post above #31 on a reset phone with a new ID, there is other reliable evidence, regardless of what you were led to believe.

"If you have Photo Stream toggled on (the default)"
http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/03/a-l...ifer-lawrence/
"When you take photos on your iPhone they are uploaded automatically from your phone onto Apple’s cloud platform, iCloud. You can turn this off, but by default Apple’s Photo Stream is turned on."
http://www.news.com.au/technology/on...-1227045503538

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.