Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Bank adverse action

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:10 pm

I am depositing cash from visa buxx back into my US Bank. Would this trigger any adverse action ?
Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:00 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by msp2anywhere
We had a Club Carlson shutdown recently for, "improper purposes" which, for over the previous year, was.... recurring utility payments. Our electric bill isn't four figures, so we're not running a MJ grow house.

We offered to discuss their concerns and answer their questions, so far stone. cold. silence.

So we're going to file a CFPB complaint. We paid our annual fee earlier this year, and unless they intent to refund it, we expect to receive the benefits for the remainder of the agreed-to period.
I hope you get your fees back.

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Jan 11, 2015 at 11:07 pm
Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:11 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by kd1000
I am depositing cash from visa buxx back into my US Bank. Would this trigger any adverse action ?
For myself... no way would I do that.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:42 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA
Originally Posted by msp2anywhere
Yes, I am talking about USB; used CC mention to differentiate from FP.

The recent closure was my SO's account, no MS- just straight spend to meet the bonus, then recurring bill payments. Same last name, same address as me... who parted ways with USB about two years ago.

Then I applied for a USB CC, to see if I was going to be, "let in from the cold", and my SO's account is summarily closed the day after my app. Coincidence? I think not. Allowable by FCRA? We'll see. Using SO's data when evaluating and individual's credit risk... questionable. But that's never stopped USB.

And though the Radisson towels are quite soft, I don't have any for personal use.

My SO received a balance transfer offer today. Can't log in, though.
The bank wants to look like they are fighting crime, preventing money laundering and illegal money transfers.

So with every account they close down, they can show to regulators that they are taking proactive measures to fight crime and illegal activity.

Bank regulators have levied large fines, and all major banks have a compliance department just looking for reasons to close accounts.

Rather than doing actual checking to see if any improper conduct, they appear to be just closing accounts.

This definately warrants a complaint to CFPB, FDIC, and the state regulators.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: Several dozen
Process the cash back into the banking system elsewhere and transfer the money to USB in amounts that do not equal the BUXX transactions.

Originally Posted by kd1000
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Did you freeze your ARS and IDA reports before applying? There is some discussion in the Club Carlson thread that one or both of those report at the household level rather than just the individual level. That would explain the "guilty by association" action.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Process the cash back into the banking system elsewhere and transfer the money to USB in amounts that do not equal the BUXX transactions.
Man - I just went to the USB ATM today and took $1800 out and deposited $1800. 9 trannies out and 2 back in.

I hadn't heard about shutdowns here. Are you saying they happen for this, or it's just a bad idea (which it certainly is, but I can be lazy)?

I don't have any cc's from USB.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by brc01
Anyone with closures have the top tier Platinum checking package? Highly doubt it makes a difference but part of me wants to believe they don't recklessly fire their top tier customers like Chase does without hesitation. Unfortunately, this thread so far is proving otherwise.
I realize this is old, but if you think someone with a Platinum checking account is a "Top Tier" customer, think again. They will gladly give any Joe off the street a Platinum checking account if they are willing to pay the monthly fee...even the requirements to have the fee waived aren't that high. Now....if they were doing this to someone who is a "Private Client" or "Private Client Reserve" customer...that might be more surprising
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by mnCO
I realize this is old, but if you think someone with a Platinum checking account is a "Top Tier" customer, think again. They will gladly give any Joe off the street a Platinum checking account if they are willing to pay the monthly fee...even the requirements to have the fee waived aren't that high. Now....if they were doing this to someone who is a "Private Client" or "Private Client Reserve" customer...that might be more surprising
On US Bank's website they refer to Platinum as "Platinum Checking Package Our top-tier account, with the best rates and all the perks"

So don't kill the messenger.

I realize their wealth management and private reserve banking affiliates is what most on FT would consider true "top tier".

But with shutdown prone banks like US Bank and Chase there's never any guarantee on how to avoid AA from them.

Last edited by brc01; Mar 18, 2015 at 11:26 am
Old Mar 18, 2015, 5:38 am

Be careful with my old sorta alma mater (worked for a bank gobbled by a bank gobbled by US). They are conservative and have a bit of a quick trigger finger. Bad idea to make matching transactions in general, badder idea with US bank.

Originally Posted by FreakingFlyer
Man - I just went to the USB ATM today and took $1800 out and deposited $1800. 9 trannies out and 2 back in.

I hadn't heard about shutdowns here. Are you saying they happen for this, or it's just a bad idea (which it certainly is, but I can be lazy)?

I don't have any cc's from USB.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:28 am

Be careful with my old sorta alma mater (worked for a bank gobbled by a bank gobbled by US). They are conservative and have a bit of a quick trigger finger. Bad idea to make matching transactions in general, badder idea with US bank.
Sounds like you got the experience, so I'll take your guidance here.

There are enough banks around where I can deposit, but it was so easy.

I just never know which bank I'm willing to lose. I keep finding reasons to like each bank where I open an account. Except Chase, of course.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
I hit my goal (300K CC points), so the Club Carlson is now staying far away from RB. Got a trip to Europe coming up and the "last night free" benefit for my wife and I is going to save us....a ton. Getting the CC shut down now would cost us a ton. Glad I saw this.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 2:13 am

I don't know if any of you have ever stayed up until 3am on FT---but reading this thread just made it worth it. I've been depositing cash into US Bank out of convenience. I'm going to stop! Thanks for the heads up.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 5:52 am

Always protect your valuable cards from the risk of shutdown. Don't ever get greedy and shoot yourself in the foot.

Originally Posted by roki
I hit my goal (300K CC points), so the Club Carlson is now staying far away from RB. Got a trip to Europe coming up and the "last night free" benefit for my wife and I is going to save us....a ton. Getting the CC shut down now would cost us a ton. Glad I saw this.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:11 am

Just melted my brain reading everything here and the 64 pages of SAR MO thread. Between Buxxes and AFTs I'm now dealing with more cash than usual. I'll steer clear of putting it back into Chase and USB. Spreading it around to non-CC institutions makes sense. I've also heard people suggest paying off CCs with cash, but wouldn't bringing a wad of $20s into a branch for that purpose look even stranger than depositing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.