Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Bank adverse action

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
US Bank (and Barclays) really seem to be the odd ones - do not expect them to behave like Chase, Citi and Amex.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 5:49 pm

I've always believed small local banks and CU to be scaredy cats. Where as the BIG 3 (chase, BoA, Citi) and the like could/would tolerate your shinanigans for much longer. I've been shutdown twice by big national chains. Each time it took about a year. Each time there was some irregularity in my banking behavior that brought it all crumbling down. I'm at a point were I don't NEED a local bank to get rid of my MOs but it's extremely convenient to have a B&M to walk into or a check accepting ATM to use late at night.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Lemma
TIt might be an easy decision to close that account if they aren't making much money on checking accounts anyway, but I can't see how they could go around reporting people their risk model said had a 10% chance of defrauding the bank to Chex.
They don't need Chex.

All they need to do is deem your activity as suspicious "out of an abundance of caution" and use AML regs as an excuse to kick you to the curb penalty free.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 10:23 am

I also got the letter yesterday with same details. It will be closed in 10 days. I have not much MO deposit last one month. But in apr, may I did heavy volume txn. Looks they are upset with less volume in jun and closing . I will close it on monday. I have flex perk and cash+ cc with them. Not sure what happens to them.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by seat17D
They don't need Chex.

All they need to do is deem your activity as suspicious "out of an abundance of caution" and use AML regs as an excuse to kick you to the curb penalty free.
This.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL-Polished Aluminum, Air Mobility Command-Chartreuse
Say 'hi' to the nice folks in Overland Park, KS for me...

Guess I'm a bit of a trend-setter, I received my letter last summer. I'd been depositing 15k every few days, received a call from a branch manager, briefed him straight up, offered to bring in my boxes of receipts/ST statements, he said hold on for now. Closure letter arrived about 3 weeks later.

The CC letter followed about one-two months later; this seems to be an absolute, so if you have both checking and CC I'd start implementing your burn plan for FlexPoints upon receipt of checking closure... though I was able to liquidate after receiving the letter from the CC points. I elected to close my accounts voluntarily.

What caught me off guard was that a family member, for whom I had account access for bill paying while they were in/out of hospital, received a closure notice also. I had done zero MOs into the account, played it straight. This was purely their money.

To their credit, the USB folks reversed the second closure as long as I rescinded access to the second account. Did take a sternly written letter and a business-like phone call, but all ended well.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 7:20 pm
Original Member

Just wondered if many have faced closure of US Bank accounts driven by MS on their FlexPoints card, instead of MO deposits into the bank account. I was doing $500 grocery store spend 2 or 3 times a week on the Flexpoints card. But recently I have been using my AMEX Blue Cash at Kroger so much as a result of the $5 Kroger coupon that I have also been using the FlexPoints card to buy $500 a day on it almost every day. The 2% FlexPoints card is not as valuable to me as the AMEX Blue, but it is tempting to use them at the same time when at a grocery store. I would hate to lose the FlexPoints Card since it sometimes generates some pretty good airfare + hotel deals.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by flyertalkingallday
I was depositing $2-3k/month in cash/MOs for the last 4 months. I am pretty sure that it was due to my $4k/month in AP transfers.
Did you make withdrawals somewhat closely following those MO deposits and transfers ?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: FB Gold Privilege
Exactly the reason why I closed my US account voluntarily. I also hated that pesky monthly fee...always seemed to be able to hit it.
I'm a happy camper with BoA/C1...able to cycle much more money without a single questions asked.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:13 am

Anyone with closures have the top tier Platinum checking package? Highly doubt it makes a difference but part of me wants to believe they don't recklessly fire their top tier customers like Chase does without hesitation. Unfortunately, this thread so far is proving otherwise.

Originally Posted by fjord
Exactly the reason why I closed my US account voluntarily. I also hated that pesky monthly fee...always seemed to be able to hit it.
I'm a happy camper with BoA/C1...able to cycle much more money without a single questions asked.
Did you not have a CC with them? They waive monthly fees if you hold one of their CC. With credit limits at or above 25K, the top tier Platinum checking fee is waived.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by brc01
Anyone with closures have the top tier Platinum checking package? Highly doubt it makes a difference but part of me wants to believe they don't recklessly fire their top tier customers like Chase does without hesitation. Unfortunately, this thread so far is proving otherwise.

Did you not have a CC with them? They waive monthly fees if you hold one of their CC. With credit limits at or above 25K, the top tier Platinum checking fee is waived.
FYI, I have platinum checking account. I have it for 7yrs. DD 500 per paycheck going to the account.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by MasterCharge
BOA, ALY, CHS, WF also report to EWS, might want to take a look at them(http://www.earlywarning.com/consumer-information.html)
I had a checking account with Charter One. US Bank purchased Charter One few months ago. Got a letter last week saying my newly converted US Bank account is now closed too.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Did you make withdrawals somewhat closely following those MO deposits and transfers ?
I wonder about the same thing. Even though the MO suppose to be same as cash, withdrawing as soon as depositing them might bother some banks.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Regarding my post earlier, I am a platinum checking customer and have not been shut down despite my heavy volume
Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:37 am

My AA last year was a mirror image of OP's and few others: 4-6K of monthly deposits in cash and MOs

I got the call from the branch and explained it away as a need to pay FlexPerks and CashPlus bills.

After a few months (not a single deposit since) I've got a full AA service: closed banking with a Platinum package, closed CCs a few weeks later.

I did use all cash and most of points; my CCs were working very hard and it was very foolish of me to lose 'em over puny deposit amounts.

In the hindsight I should have just paid all my CC bills in a branch ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.