Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:13 pm

Bought one OV to test this out. This morning, I did 3 swipes at one register and 2 at another before it worked. I think some of the problem may have been the cashier hitting the button too soon, but at least once it didn't work when she didn't touch anything, and then once when she did nothing it worked.

Too unreliable. Worked on 5th swipe.

All new color pads, by the way.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:14 pm

Still not 100% success here.
10 cards, 5 worked during 1st swipe, 2 worked during 2nd swipe, the left 3 didn't work even during 3rd swipe. Just give up after 3rd trial.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:06 pm

Over the last couple days I've tried two different walmarts with OV.

Walmart 1= 0/12
Walmart 2= 7/14?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:07 pm

Only 50% success rate: either worked on first swipe or not working at all even with multiple swipes. Back to pause mode.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got to 8 swipes today on a $1000 MO at the MC. Some of that was the new cashier's fault, but some were just rejections like before. We canceled and started over, and that time it worked with 4 or 5 swipes. I gave up on a second MO because the line had gotten long. I went over to the CS counter and loaded BB, again with a new cashier, and had a few errors loading 3 cards, but I know I was responsible for at least one of them.

The process didn't go nearly as smooth as previously. I'll see what happens tomorrow -- if it gets too annoying I'll slow down or stop.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:47 pm

deleted.

Last edited by jaiice; Aug 30, 2014 at 12:13 pm
Old Aug 30, 2014, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by jaiice
Loaded 10 OV cards (to 2 Serve accounts) at 2 Walmarts yesterday night without a single glitch. At the first Walmart, the cashier said he would only allow one $500 transaction per day. I loaded 2 OVs before the first cashier came and told all other registers not to allow more as I had loaded previously!!! The other Walmart let me load $4k before I ran out of luck and the money center cashier noticed my gift card. She was nice, but said cant allow more. Both these Walmarts had the new checkout terminals (one that accepts chip and signature cards). Maybe new terminals are the charm.

I tried a couple of days earlier at another walmart with old terminals and none went through (could be my mistake, but whatever I tried, could not get it to change payment and it went direct to credit).
This reads as a demonstration of how to kill a deal for one's self.

Last edited by carpentry4thought; Aug 30, 2014 at 4:54 am
Old Aug 30, 2014, 9:25 am

Loaded 10 OV cards (to 2 Serve accounts) at 2 Walmarts yesterday night without a single glitch. At the first Walmart, the cashier said he would only allow one $500 transaction per day. I loaded 2 OVs before the first cashier came and told all other registers not to allow more as I had loaded previously!!! The other Walmart let me load $4k before I ran out of luck and the money center cashier noticed my gift card. She was nice, but said cant allow more. Both these Walmarts had the new checkout terminals (one that accepts chip and signature cards). Maybe new terminals are the charm.

I tried a couple of days earlier at another walmart with old terminals and none went through (could be my mistake, but whatever I tried, could not get it to change payment and it went direct to credit).
Sigh... this is just such horrible behavior.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond

I would bet you are located in Orange County. If so, there are many posts re your first WM. Everyone avoids them now because they have basically shut down GC loading.

As others have said, your approach will kill the second WM. Unless you know the cashier, spread the loading between various registers and do not draw attention to yourself.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had the wonderful Donna this morning in the MC, but an attempt to buy 2 $1000 MOs didn't work. We canceled it after 5 swipes failed and tried again for $1000. That took 7 swipes, but it worked. A small line had formed, so I went to the SC and loaded BB with a $500 card that had failed at the MC -- no problem with it there.

I bought some food and then went back to the MC which was now free to get another $1000 MO. This took only 3 swipes and when we were done, Donna asked if I wanted to try another one. I still had two cards left so I said, "OK, sure". It took 3 swipes also.

So a somewhat annoying process but I used all my cards. Donna is so very helpful -- I feel sorry for those of you who have to deal with hostile cashiers.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:47 am

0/2 after several swipes I give up at my local kate. It was too busy to keep trying, numerous people kept getting in line behind me.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:28 pm

I never load more than $500 - 1k at any one cashier. All I meant was I did 4k at the second Walmart. 3.5 with 6 cashiers over a couple of trips (1 in the morning and 1 at night, so none of the cashier noticed me) and just 1 $500 at money center. I am damn sure I never killed anything for anyone. I am VERY low profile.

I just wanted to post a data point regarding how money center cashiers are careful/know more (she just noticed from the color of the gift card inspite of me hiding it very carefully) and also a data point regarding the new registers that are good for OV cards.

Last edited by jaiice; Aug 30, 2014 at 12:40 pm
Old Aug 30, 2014, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I never load more than $500 - 1k at any one cashier. All I meant was I did 4k at the second Walmart. 3.5 with 6 cashiers over a couple of trips (1 in the morning and 1 at night, so none of the cashier noticed me) and just 1 $500 at money center. I am damn sure I never killed anything for anyone. I am VERY low profile.

I just wanted to post a data point regarding how money center cashiers are careful/know more (she just noticed from the color of the gift card inspite of me hiding it very carefully) and also a data point regarding the new registers that are good for OV cards.
Don't let the paranoid people bother you -- they can't know your situation, they're just projecting theirs onto you. Keep reporting data points, because those are useful posts.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 1:28 pm

Situation for me today and yesterday is the same as others report--Vanillas work intermittently and randomly. I'm still convinced the type of terminal doesn't matter and the specific Vanilla card doesn't matter--I'm still able to get every card to be approved eventually with multiple swipes. There's a seven swipe limit per each transaction (money orders OR bill payments), so if I haven't gotten the entire transaction paid for after six swipes I use a non-Vanilla card or one of my bank debit cards for whatever balance remains for the seventh swipe. This way each transaction I start completes successfully.

Yesterday the W-M Money Center I use was fairly busy in the morning (around 7AM when it opens) and I got little done. Today I was virtually the only one using it and I got more done. I always complete the transaction I've started and then walk to the end of the line if anyone else shows up, so the line never builds up much because of me. The clerks appreciate that and, although multiple swipes to get a money order is annoying and frustrating, they tolerate it well.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 1:45 pm

Paul, are you always just going to the same WM? I am just curious because I have been afraid to go to the same one on a regular basis. I have six that I rotate through, but it is a pain making farther drives just to avoid frequenting the same one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.